C4 Forums | Control4

Dante?

rf9000

Think of having a stack of audio sources in an accessible area like turn-table, music streaming box, an IPod, etc.

Add a Dante equipped audio switch and now you can send many audio channels over the network to a Dante receiver/DSP or other piece of equipment and have high res audio.  This can be distributed any where over the network.

Great for larger projects.  Use this tech all the time in the commercial space.

If C4 starts building with Dante in its controllers, audio switches and amps, there will be a lot less wiring required as streams could be sent directly from sources to the audio switchers/amps.

20 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Think of having a stack of audio sources in an accessible area like turn-table, music streaming box, an IPod, etc.

Add a Dante equipped audio switch and now you can send many audio channels over the network to a Dante receiver/DSP or other piece of equipment and have high res audio.  This can be distributed any where over the network.

Great for larger projects.  Use this tech all the time in the commercial space.

If C4 starts building with Dante in its controllers, audio switches and amps, there will be a lot less wiring required as streams could be sent directly from sources to the audio switchers/amps.

I can see C4 replacing their Digital Media streams with Dante. The Triad One is a perfect example of how Dante could be used. Imagine using MoIP for video distribution, with Dante audio out into a Matrix (more likely a Triad DSP amp). There are some fantastic usage scenarios for Dante in residential. We use either Dante or AVB on almost every commercial job (AES67 and CobraNet still wont die either).

• 5 months later...

I love the idea of a 10G backbone in a house with audio, distributed video, and high-resolution IP security  running on same platform (switches and cables). 
Two areas of questions (one on video, and one on audio): 

1. Can you speak to two types of AV over IP: MoIP (used by SnapAV's Binary ) vs. SDVoE as favored by Zeevee (which has Savi/C4 integration too)? 
  2. Regarding Dante, I like the fact that it's standardized, widely used, and operates on ANY IP switch (Savant's IP audio is based on a less widely used IEEE standard called AVB, which requires specialized switch support I believe). And C4 is a (productless?) Dante licensee. But today, how could one use Dante with an existing audio streaming platform in a residential application?  
    • With respect to streaming music content, can it used with an Autonomics Mirage or some equivalent like C4 native or Sonos? (Just use Dante AVIO adapter?)
    • With respect to general audio content (e.g. intercom, broadcast audio alerts channeled through C4 like integrations to IFTTT announcing arrival of Uber), can C4 controller tap into a Dante system to send out audio?  (Just use Dante AVIO adapter? this would be the "dumb" way....smarter would be integration with Dante Domain Manager (DDM)  but I can't find anything on DDM<->C4 integration even though C4 is a Dante Licensee as of 2019 )
    • What else would I need in, say, a bedroom that has IP connectivity back through the house to a controller/audio streaming platform which itself sitting on a switch in a rack with the controller. Just have IP speakers with built-in amps? Even using PoE+ (could have $200 1G PoE+ switches "at edge" meaning each room in house has local switch where in speakers connect to local POE+ switch that itself connects back over a single network connection to central switch in central AV rack with Control4 controller etc), I'd be limited to ~25W per audio channel. Wondering if that is enough for a bedroom (we don't listen to things super loud)

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.