C4 Forums | Control4

Watch Issue

Tonight out of the blue, my TiVo (matrixed and extended through my Denon X Series AVR) stopped working. I power cycled the TiVo, Denon and finally the EA-5 to no resolve. Anything to look at? TV powers on, just no TiVo. Remote is definitely changing Denon Inputs (I’ve watched real-time in the Denon App).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks@chopedogg88 &.@msgreenf

I’m so embarrassed. What an idiot. I woke up and laid there and stared at a blank screen until it hit me. I don’t really use the PVR/DVR to check the recorded shows list, so I hadn’t realized when the rack was rebuilt and the new Denon was installed, the boxes were flip-flopped when reinstalled.

Ah...hem... I was power cycling the wrong box (White Bolt/Black Bolt).

So I power-cycled everything, checked the physical and virtual connections and SDDP. Everything looks great. Later, I’ll swap the Denon Inputs to just test if there may be an issue with the Aux 2 Input that this box is feeding and then check the HDMI and network cables if that doesn’t prove anything. Scanning the IP of that box is showing it’s up, all LEDs are behaving properly on the Tivo. And all other sources are being sent out. (I even made the other TiVo visible and it’s playing fine to the room with the problem). If I rule out all else, maybe a bad TiVo box? It just froze last night, but instead of telling me, my wife just started watching Netflix. When I discovered this, I power cycled it (wrong one), the AVR and Controller and then turned the room off and let it sit fir 5 minutes. That didn’t solve it. At that point I’d just get the Samsung HDMI screen on the TV. Still.

@chopedogg88@msgreenf

Thank you guys for the advice.

I came home and was walking past the rack to get my monitor and I figured it’d take 30 seconds to swap out the HDMI cable versus 20 minute to grab and set up the monitor. Why not?

Yep, that was it. Sometimes it’s the simplest things.

Certainly doesn’t make me happy that such an expensive AudioQuest cable failed. But does feel good that it was as simple as that.

1 hour ago, time2jet said:

@chopedogg88@msgreenf

Thank you guys for the advice.

I came home and was walking past the rack to get my monitor and I figured it’d take 30 seconds to swap out the HDMI cable versus 20 minute to grab and set up the monitor. Why not?

Yep, that was it. Sometimes it’s the simplest things.

Certainly doesn’t make me happy that such an expensive AudioQuest cable failed. But does feel good that it was as simple as that.

Hmm. Jsut a though but, you may want to try putting that cable back in and see if you get image - could still be a handshake issue (disconnteing a cable will force many devices to re-do the EDID configuration automatically

Hmm. Jsut a though but, you may want to try putting that cable back in and see if you get image - could still be a handshake issue (disconnteing a cable will force many devices to re-do the EDID configuration automatically

That exactly had been running through my mind all night. But I got lazy and didn’t want to have to clean up the rack tonight and I figured if I go to the rack room I won’t be able to help myself. I’m literally OCD.

I’ll try tomorrow. I sense you may be correct. I’ll report back.

Right on guys. The old cable worked again. So had to be a handshake issue. I’m now noticing my Roku to that room isn’t firing consistently. Once I launch another source and relaunch, it typically works. If this is all about EDID, what could be all of the sudden causing? That’s perhaps now two devices. Both extended from a Denon via HDBaseT.

• 2 weeks later...
Weird inconsistent errors on a single HDBaseT connection, first thought is the line itself, next the receiving balun, next the TV

It’s acting up again. Denon is definitely switching (can watch the switch as I select one of the inputs). But the Roku and BluRay aren’t feeding consistently. Somehow the TiVo is, but seems a little slow/sluggish to launch.

Not sure where to start troubleshooting. Everything, but the rack itself will be a nightmare to access. (Line/Rx). I really feel like this could be HDMI cable versus balun related. But I’m going to first power cycle the AVR/Input Devices and TX before I start swapping out HDMI cables.

Did you bring a test tv to the rack to eliminate the balun as a cause?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yes Ari. Thank you.

I have just replicated this same situation bypassing the balun. That said, logically the balun as the issue can likely be eliminated. ***Unless***
that balun is causing the handshake issues. I’d like to think it isn’t considering it’s the best AVPro Edge sells (but who knows). Many years ago I got involved with them when I was a commercial distributor for DTV and was doing bar and restaurant A/V work. I seriously never had one fail. Not to say...

Here’s what information that could be helpful:

All done locally with my test TV:

I’ve power cycled that room’s Roku and then replaced the HDMI cable. It seems to be functioning as expected now. I would want to think that situation may be resolved, but... even when extended by balun during these problems, I was able to get the Roku’s mini apps to launch and stay connected after a Roku power cycle... but it didn’t hold. I’m going to continue to remain local fir a bit and try to confuse it by switching between inputs and going from room off direct, etc. Roku aside, oddly my Samsung SDDP BluRay (matrixed) keeps losing its WOL. I have had it identified and set up properly and working for weeks, then suddenly it decides not to WOL. By physically turning it off, I was just able to get it to wake from both zones it’s matrixed to. It’s very odd. I understand Matrixing through an AVR is inexpensive, but that it frankly isn’t best practice. I thought with a little higher end (Denon X8500) it would be better. Not really. It works (this issue aside), just not nearly as smooth and fast and reliably as a true matrix.

So right now all we did was output local and power cycle then replace the HDMI on the Roku. It seems to all be working.

When this is under control, I need a recommendation fir HDMI cables. I have used AudioQuest for years, from low to high end. I also have used Blue Jeans products. I’ve only had one AudioQuest failed so far no Blue Jeans fails. The cables that are seemingly having these issues (if it’s an EDID or cable itself issue) are sadly a cheap generic high spec line that I bought in a pinch thinking I needed a higher spec to pass HDR over these baluns.

After 30 minutes, failed locally. Same issue. Roku stops launching. (Balun hasn’t been in the equation, so that quite probably eliminates balun causing handshake issues)

Now my rule outs are: (asking?)

Roku Player itself
Network (Ethernet control)
Denon Input

Sounds like something isn't right w the denon
[/]

I’ve done so much physical fiddling around and power cycling that I’ve lost my place. But it’s right now down to the Roku Netflix MiniApp only. And only in one room and only on one Roku (other Roku was never effected). Everything else is launching. It tries to launch, but nothing comes but the Samsung HDMI 1 screen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.