C4 Forums | Control4

Z2io for Range Hood and wall heater

Time2Jet

I have a hardwired dumb range hood and a recess mounted hard wired wall heater.

Can I hardwire (without the 12v converter) the Z2io’s to smarten these up?

What about the old battery powered Card Access Relay/Contact sensors? I have a bunch of them in the shop. I never have really taken the time to research, but I believe they also can repeat Zigbee (unlike the CA motion sensors which are really just Zigbee endpoint devices). Can I use these WCS’s hardwired in-line to open and close 120v contacts to energize the range hood lights and fan? I think each can control 2 sets of contacts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I’d actually love to figure this out too. I’ve got lights on the hood that are activated with a twist knob (3 levels of brightness) and then a toggle switch for the fan (which has a knob for speed).

Not a huge priority for me, but a curiosity none the less. 

Bump.

I have some time this weekend.

I guess what I’m asking is can I use the 2 relays on a CA WCS hardwired into a 120v line to control a hardwired (local control only) range hood light and fan, assuming they’re separately energized? I guess this question would apply to anything hardwired if you’re just trying to open and close contacts. (Meaning I understand there may be more to this particular application than just opening and closing contacts, ie fan speeds).

I assume the Z2io’s wont work because they’d need the A/C adapter energized and I don’t have an outlet up there.

If not, any ideas.

The only person that could confidently answer this question is an actual electrician.  My opinion is you're going to fry the 12 volt relay without a proper converter.  How about wire in a C4 fan speed controller before the knob?  Set and leave the knob on high, pull the knob off or whatever, and let the Fan speed controller take care of the speeds?  Just an opinion.

The lights in range hoods are typically 5V-12V and already have a converter built in from the mains 120V power supply.

You would splice into the wires that go to the actual lights and attach those to the Z2IO.

This is all based upon the lighting actually being low voltage.  This will not work at all with high voltage.

The lights in range hoods are typically 5V-12V and already have a converter built in from the mains 120V power supply.
You would splice into the wires that go to the actual lights and attach those to the Z2IO.
This is all based upon the lighting actually being low voltage.  This will not work at all with high voltage.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I’m not at the property, but I’m looking for a wiring diagram.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

you will likely need a heavy duty relay to switch the power for these devices then use the button and z2io to energize the relay and switch via low voltage power. will require some re-wiring.  with the contacts on the 2io the orginal button would feed in the contacts so you can tell from c4 if it is turned on manually.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.