C4 Forums | Control4

Control C4 through command line

DylanJ

Is this all that different from Control4 Homebridge which allows you to control Control4 devices from within Apple's Homekit app and use Siri to do so?

@DylanJ - That may be one way of accomplishing what you want.  Homebridge acts as a bridge (duh!) between Homekit and C4.    But I believe it also gives you a URL that you can hit for each device - for example http://c4controller:8070/38 is the lights in my office.  I think you may be able to control them with that as well.  @Joshua Pressnell is the expert on Homebridge.

edit - Here is the github site for the Homebridge project.  I believe Joshua adapted this to work with C4. https://github.com/homebridge/homebridge

4 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Is this all that different from Control4 Homebridge which allows you to control Control4 devices from within Apple's Homekit app and use Siri to do so?

@DylanJ - That may be one way of accomplishing what you want.  Homebridge acts as a bridge (duh!) between Homekit and C4.    But I believe it also gives you a URL that you can hit for each device - for example http://c4controller:8070/38 is the lights in my office.  I think you may be able to control them with that as well.  @Joshua Pressnell is the expert on Homebridge.

edit - Here is the github site for the Homebridge project.  I believe Joshua adapted this to work with C4. https://github.com/homebridge/homebridge

That would work! Thank's for the tip, I'll definitely look into Homebridge!

6 hours ago, DylanJ said:

I'd like to make a custom interface that can control all the C4 and Savant devices in our showroom...mostly just for fun! Sort of a 2 control systems in one kind of a thing. If the issue with 3.0+ is not having port 5020 open I'm almost certain you could just edit the iptable to accept incoming connections on port 5020, it is running BusyBox after all. I'll have to try this out. 

I wrote a driver years ago that pretty much made Control4 lighting into CBUS lights.  As such in our showroom we had Control4 lighting being controlled by Control4, Savant and Crestron.  This was years ago and honesetly i've lost the driver.  Worked well though.

7 hours ago, alanchow said:

I wrote a driver years ago that pretty much made Control4 lighting into CBUS lights.  As such in our showroom we had Control4 lighting being controlled by Control4, Savant and Crestron.  This was years ago and honesetly i've lost the driver.  Worked well though.

If you ever feel like writing a current version I would be happy to beta test it!😁

16 hours ago, DylanJ said:

No its currently on 3.1.3. You could say Samsung gets hacked by driverworks developers for C4 integration, what's the difference? The end goal is integration after all. 

No, you could not say Samsung gets hacked by Driverworks developers for 'C4 integration'.

We (myself included) literally traveled to South Korea, met with Samsung TV engineers for multiple days, worked with them to create / refine their protocol, helped them integrated SDDP into their hardware, and then used that official protocol to create drivers.

It's the opposite of hacking.

RyanE

No, you could not say Samsung gets hacked by Driverworks developers for 'C4 integration'.
We (myself included) literally traveled to South Korea, met with Samsung TV engineers for multiple days, worked with them to create / refine their protocol, helped them integrated SDDP into their hardware, and then used that official protocol to create drivers.
RyanE
Hmmm almost sounds like the way companies operate

5 minutes ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

I think you’re missing the point. I don’t think any of this is “hacking”. I’m just trying to emulate C4 UI commands. C4, Savant, Crestron, URC, RTI, etc all started with emulating IR commands. All systems at one point or another have used undocumented protocols. 

20 minutes ago, DylanJ said:

I think you’re missing the point. I don’t think any of this is “hacking”. I’m just trying to emulate C4 UI commands. C4, Savant, Crestron, URC, RTI, etc all started with emulating IR commands. All systems at one point or another have used undocumented protocols. 

If you did not get explicit permission, then reverse engineering is hacking.

Not clear that is applicable in this instance.  Are these computer programs exchanging information?  Not that I have any problems with reverse engineering or hacking around, I have done that myself and continue to use this sort of stuff to control devices in C4.

For purposes of this subsection, the term “interoperability” means the ability of computer programs to exchange information, and of such programs mutually to use the information which has been exchanged.

Guys, this is all I wanted. I can easily control anything in C4 using curl with this driver. Why everyone has to be so argumentative, defensive, and egotistical is beyond me. 

This is an awesome driver and will open up a lot of possibilities for integration. That's what this is all about, "hacking" one device at a time😘

https://berto.io/berto-web-server

8 minutes ago, DylanJ said:

Guys, this is all I wanted. I can easily control anything in C4 using curl with this driver. Why everyone has to be so argumentative, defensive, and egotistical is beyond me. 

This is an awesome driver and will open up a lot of possibilities for integration. That's what this is all about, "hacking" one device at a time😘

Even this driver has had modifications at the request of C4 to be more compliant.

I think people are skeptical that you are doing this with the best intent. That might be unfounded. If you were an active member you probably would have had a better feeling for the type of responses you might get.

So you started a thread about wanting to do a thing where solutions already existed. You wanted to do the thing without creating a driver. In the end you are likely able to leverage existing drivers. So, really, everything worked out by having a conversation so don't forget that.

13 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Even this driver has had modifications at the request of C4 to be more compliant.

I think people are skeptical that you are doing this with the best intent. That might be unfounded. If you were an active member you probably would have had a better feeling for the type of responses you might get.

So you started a thread about wanting to do a thing where solutions already existed. You wanted to do the thing without creating a driver. In the end you are likely able to leverage existing drivers. So, really, everything worked out by having a conversation so don't forget that.

What modifications has this driver had at the request of C4?

The driver is based on Ryan’s driver, just goes further but I’m not aware of any modifications made to be more compliant?

Thank you

32 minutes ago, DylanJ said:

It also sounds like you are a dealer. Just note that you might want to review the contract terms with Control4 and be wary if they take offense a dealer contract termination could be on the table.

4 minutes ago, david@berto.co.uk said:

What modifications has this driver had at the request of C4?

The driver is based on Ryan’s driver, just goes further but I’m not aware of any modifications made to be more compliant?

Thank you

I thought I recalled some discussion in another thread were you changed the way you were doing something with the driver. I'm sorry if that's not the case. I could try poking around to find the reference.

4 minutes ago, Pounce said:

I thought I recalled some discussion in another thread were you changed the way you were doing something with the driver. I'm sorry if that's not the case. I could try poking around to find the reference.

Then web server driver was written/released a few months ago and has no connection to what you are referring to.

Like I say, it is no more complicated than Ryan’s original HTTP driver.

1 minute ago, david@berto.co.uk said:

Then web server driver was written/released a few months ago and has no connection to what you are referring to.

Like I say, it is no more complicated than Ryan’s original HTTP driver.

My comment was more meant to reference that folks work with C4 when exploring the limits. Certainly not any sort of criticism of you. Just so you know.

17 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

It also sounds like you are a dealer. Just note that you might want to review the contract terms with Control4 and be wary if they take offense a dealer contract termination could be on the table.

I don't think that will happen but you never know. You could start a terms discussion though...

18 minutes ago, Pounce said:

I recall it as well. Something along the lines of putting the scripts on another device rather than on the controller.

16 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

I recall it as well. Something along the lines of putting the scripts on another device rather than on the controller.

100% correct.

Referring to the use of custom email services, which were subsequently moved into the cloud, and nothing to do with the incorrect comment reference C4 compliance.

13 minutes ago, david@berto.co.uk said:

100% correct.

Referring to the use of custom email services, which were subsequently moved into the cloud, and nothing to do with the incorrect comment reference C4 compliance.

But the point is you aren't hacking C4, right? You are collaborative with C4. Maybe the objective is to be thought of like a rebel pirate subverting the C4 infrastructure with your MQTT's and your IoT's making their silly archaic locked in dealer model seem like a big joke? (lots of tongue in cheek there)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.