C4 Forums | Control4

Cut the Cable

Time2Jet

In Boston, Xfinity will be capping your internet service.  If you use more data than the 1.2 TB that's allowed, then they will charge $10 per every block of 50Gb afterwards, not to exceed $100 extra in one month.  Note that your service doesn't just stop, it keeps going and going.

All these companies are going to do the same to make up costs for the cable cutters.  I'm kind of angry with this one as I still subscribe to cable too.

Pandemic certainly didn't help with the plethora of web based video calls and kids stuck at home all day.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-exceed-usage

53 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

In Boston, Xfinity will be capping your internet service.  If you use more data than the 1.2 TB that's allowed, then they will charge $10 per every block of 50Gb afterwards, not to exceed $100 extra in one month.  Note that your service doesn't just stop, it keeps going and going.

All these companies are going to do the same to make up costs for the cable cutters.  I'm kind of angry with this one as I still subscribe to cable too.

Pandemic certainly didn't help with the plethora of web based video calls and kids stuck at home all day.

thats a bummer.  I am surprised they do not give a credit or waive that fee for those with bundled packages with phone/cable

3 hours ago, lippavisual said:

OUCH. I've no data cap at all on mine - and checking with or without TV doesn't make a difference (Mind you 612Gb/Unlimited is current usage point for May... 3 kids online schooling via Teams every day plus my wife's work VPN connection all day long on top of all the usual (and increased) usage so I wouldn't be pushing 1.2Tb)

2 hours ago, Cyknight said:

OUCH. I've no data cap at all on mine - and checking with or without TV doesn't make a difference (Mind you 612Gb/Unlimited is current usage point for May... 3 kids online schooling via Teams every day plus my wife's work VPN connection all day long on top of all the usual (and increased) usage so I wouldn't be pushing 1.2Tb)

Wife and I, with 3 kids 11,9,6.

Then I have my inlaws in an apartment over my garage.  My mother-in-law is a hog too! She's getting capped next!

7 minutes ago, zaphod said:

In Canada things have gone in the other direction.  Data caps used to be quite common, but they are no longer used by the major ISPs like Bell and Rogers, at least for the high(ish) end plans. 

Maybe because they all also 'deal' in mobile phones and get our money through their high cost plans there  🙄

Maybe, but I am surprised that they don't try to gouge us in every way possible.  My usage is averaging about 1.2TB/month and I stream Bloomberg TV for about 12 hours per day, 5 days per week, plus my kids are often streaming as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.