C4 Forums | Control4

Berto LIFX driver... Amazing

drmark12pa

On 5/2/2022 at 11:10 AM, drmark12pa said:

Just added the Berto LIFX driver and it's simply amazing.  Crazy fast response as it bypasses the LIFX cloud, color changing, ability to use lighting agent if so desired.  Highly recommend giving this a try if you have the LIFX bulbs.

I don’t know about the Berto option. This could be interesting if the LIFX servers go down. What do you need to use the Berto LIFX driver? Do you have to run a raspberry pi to make it work?

12 hours ago, Dueport said:

I don’t know about the Berto option. This could be interesting if the LIFX servers go down. What do you need to use the Berto LIFX driver? Do you have to run a raspberry pi to make it work?

The LIFX driver uses the LIFX LAN Protocol, https://lan.developer.lifx.com, so does not use the LIFX Cloud to manage the devices. You do not need Internet access for the driver to work.

You do not need any additional hardware such as a Pi for it work.

You need to install the Berto Agent driver first, https://prod.berto.io/c4z/Berto_Agent.c4z, and then you can install the Berto LIFX driver from the Feature Management property or download from https://prod.berto.io/c4z

Thanks

13 hours ago, Dueport said:

Using the LIFX servers has lag time and you can't enter commands simply back to back or you won't get a response.  This driver is actually faster than the LIFX app which is already pretty fast but this is immediate.  Huge props on the this driver and can't say enough good things after dealing with issues of lag time and now after recent firmware update, I was having bulbs come on at the 1% setting that other drivers considered OFF and no way of getting lower brightness with other drivers than that 1%....

9 hours ago, david@berto.co.uk said:

The LIFX driver uses the LIFX LAN Protocol, https://lan.developer.lifx.com, so does not use the LIFX Cloud to manage the devices. You do not need Internet access for the driver to work.

You do not need any additional hardware such as a Pi for it work.

You need to install the Berto Agent driver first, https://prod.berto.io/c4z/Berto_Agent.c4z, and then you can install the Berto LIFX driver from the Feature Management property or download from https://prod.berto.io/c4z

Thanks

Very cool - thank you for that detail!  Sounds like a great approach!

Darn worst timing!!!  I just replaced 20 LIFX bulbs with Hue because I couldn't get the Axxon driver working!  The Chowmein one worked but it only uses cloud which I really don't like.  The Axxon Engineering one says it uses local control but I could never get it to detect any of my bulbs no matter what I'd do even though they are detected right away in Home Assistant and Hubitat.  So gave up and replaced all of them with Hue.  I'll give this driver a try after also as maybe I can figure out a use for 20 LIFX bulbs now lol.

2 hours ago, 416to305 said:

Darn worst timing!!!  I just replaced 20 LIFX bulbs with Hue because I couldn't get the Axxon driver working!  The Chowmein one worked but it only uses cloud which I really don't like.  The Axxon Engineering one says it uses local control but I could never get it to detect any of my bulbs no matter what I'd do even though they are detected right away in Home Assistant and Hubitat.  So gave up and replaced all of them with Hue.  I'll give this driver a try after also as maybe I can figure out a use for 20 LIFX bulbs now lol.

I originally had the Hue lights but I didn't like a hub and ditched that for LIFX a couple of years ago.... However, there was always a lag with the Chowmain driver using the cloud.  If you wanted to change the light quickly it would take anywhere up to 5-10 seconds before additional command would be accepted. Then the final issue was with recent LIFX firmware update the lowest 1% setting the Chowmain would set the lights at (could not turn off and or get 0% no matter what programming command you'd use) I'd get random turning on of lights at anytime of day or night at 1%.  1% at 3am in your bedroom is still a light you're staring at in bed!  

So with the Berto driver it is absolutely the best of all aspects,...... light level actually goes to zero, the response time is instantaneous, you can use the lighting agent if you want, and no cost....

I actually finally ordered some additional LIFX bulbs now that I feel like the LIFX bulbs are up to par with what they should be as I was never quite satisfied with the previous driver and the lagging then the final straw was the turning on  at the 1%

Once OS 3.3 is released I'll add Color Wheel support to the Dimmer driver also.

I'm in the process of pushing a v2 release of my drivers which will eventually supersede all v1 drivers.

The new Agent driver now has many features bundled in that replaces previous v1 drivers such as IFTTT, Pushover, MQTT, Mail, REST/HTTP Webevents, OwnTracks...

See https://berto.io/v2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 7:10 PM, david@berto.co.uk said:

Once OS 3.3 is released I'll add Color Wheel support to the Dimmer driver also.

I'm in the process of pushing a v2 release of my drivers which will eventually supersede all v1 drivers.

The new Agent driver now has many features bundled in that replaces previous v1 drivers such as IFTTT, Pushover, MQTT, Mail, REST/HTTP Webevents, OwnTracks...

See https://berto.io/v2

So David, long time no hear, I hope u r doing fine, so v2 replaces v1? Also Cloud and Gateway drivers will remain or will be updated as well? To keep the ZB2MQTT we need to wait till you finish developemnt on v2, right?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 9:49 PM, Amr said:

So David, long time no hear, I hope u r doing fine, so v2 replaces v1? Also Cloud and Gateway drivers will remain or will be updated as well? To keep the ZB2MQTT we need to wait till you finish developemnt on v2, right?

Amr, 

v2 will replace v1, in fact I’ll probably make v2 OS 3.3.0 and above only given the great new features with native colour wheel support etc. I’m in the process of adding colour support now. The Mosquitto MQTT broker is bundled with OS 3.3.0 which is fantastic news and a native C4:MQTT() client to interface with. All brilliant additions.

The v1 drivers will still work but I’ve stopped development on them. The Cloud driver is replaced by Berto Agent which does all Cloud did and more. No need to register, no restrictions, support for Email, Pushover, MQTT, REST, IFTTT all built in and more.

The Gateway driver is being broken out into individual hub drivers eg. LIFX, Shelly, Tasmota, Yeelight, TP Link and Zigbee2MQTT is work in progress. I’ll probably create HA and HomeKit but leave GA and Alexa out, the C4 options are great now.

A lot to do and only me to do it unfortunately but I’ll keep you updated.

Cheers

David

3 minutes ago, david@berto.co.uk said:

Amr, 

v2 will replace v1, in fact I’ll probably make v2 OS 3.3.0 and above only given the great new features with native colour wheel support etc. I’m in the process of adding colour support now. The Mosquitto MQTT broker is bundled with OS 3.3.0 which is fantastic news and a native C4:MQTT() client to interface with. All brilliant additions.

The v1 drivers will still work but I’ve stopped development on them. The Cloud driver is replaced by Berto Agent which does all Cloud did and more. No need to register, no restrictions, support for Email, Pushover, MQTT, REST, IFTTT all built in and more.

The Gateway driver is being broken out into individual hub drivers eg. LIFX, Shelly, Tasmota, Yeelight, TP Link and Zigbee2MQTT is work in progress. I’ll probably create HA and HomeKit but leave GA and Alexa out, the C4 options are great now.

Cheers

David

Thanks for your great support and looking forward to your much waited v2 😊

This is very intriguing. Any thoughts on how Berto compares to the new Chowmain driver?

When converting from Chowmain… Can the two coexist or do we need to kill the Chowmain driver?  I've a good bit of LIFX via Chowmain programmed in to scenes and apps so coexisting to give me time to slowly migrate over would be good.

2 minutes ago, TundraSonic said:

This is very intriguing. Any thoughts on how Berto compares to the new Chowmain driver?

When converting from Chowmain… Can the two coexist or do we need to kill the Chowmain driver?  I've a good bit of LIFX via Chowmain programmed in to scenes and apps so coexisting to give me time to slowly migrate over would be good.

Not sure ref Chowmain driver but think it should be ok to run along side as the Berto driver uses the LIFX LAN not the cloud API. 

I’ve just pushed a first release with Color support etc. Ready to test and available at https://beta.berto.io/c4z

On 5/6/2022 at 5:36 PM, drmark12pa said:

I originally had the Hue lights but I didn't like a hub and ditched that for LIFX a couple of years ago.... However, there was always a lag with the Chowmain driver using the cloud.  If you wanted to change the light quickly it would take anywhere up to 5-10 seconds before additional command would be accepted. Then the final issue was with recent LIFX firmware update the lowest 1% setting the Chowmain would set the lights at (could not turn off and or get 0% no matter what programming command you'd use) I'd get random turning on of lights at anytime of day or night at 1%.  1% at 3am in your bedroom is still a light you're staring at in bed!  

So with the Berto driver it is absolutely the best of all aspects,...... light level actually goes to zero, the response time is instantaneous, you can use the lighting agent if you want, and no cost....

I actually finally ordered some additional LIFX bulbs now that I feel like the LIFX bulbs are up to par with what they should be as I was never quite satisfied with the previous driver and the lagging then the final straw was the turning on  at the 1%

How much is the Lifx Bulb costs? Xiaomi is incredible in value and lasts very long time, it has the best ever warm color, something I never find in any bull, costs $20 a piece!

11 hours ago, Amr said:

How much is the Lifx Bulb costs? Xiaomi is incredible in value and lasts very long time, it has the best ever warm color, something I never find in any bull, costs $20 a piece!

Let me take that back,I was refering to the price I purchased these lamp 4 years ago, its clost to $30 now, I belive you can get the higher lumen Lifx Bulp @ $40~$50, I can't get a clear price, they have so many varaity, am interested to know how much is the 9W version if there is such thing in Lifx products!

On 6/12/2022 at 3:29 PM, david@berto.co.uk said:

Amr, 

Cheers

David

Hi David, just a quick question, the Sonoff RF will be part of what driver?  Also you have the intention of continuing Flic or u will drop it?

Cannot get the LIFX (v1.1) to work at all.  It doesn't even list a version under driver management info. (see attached)  Did you get it working Amr?

Berto Agent v1.0 is running under Agents and I tried the Yeelight bulb I have with the Yeelight Berto driver.  It detects and lists as v1.0.

image.thumb.png.644408fdff66c0bb4753735201b60243.png

On 6/14/2022 at 10:57 AM, OzSoup said:

Cannot get the LIFX (v1.1) to work at all.  It doesn't even list a version under driver management info. (see attached)  Did you get it working Amr?

Berto Agent v1.0 is running under Agents and I tried the Yeelight bulb I have with the Yeelight Berto driver.  It detects and lists as v1.0.

image.thumb.png.644408fdff66c0bb4753735201b60243.png

This does not look as though the driver has installed correctly. I would delete from project and also /mnt/internal/c4z on the controller and then try again.

You should get the drivers from https://beta.berto.io/c4z and change the Release Branch to Beta under Core Configuration in the Berto Agent driver.

Thanks

David found the issue with not discovering as my previous LIFX driver was interferring...

The updated driver with 3.3 is outstanding!  I'm using lighting scenes now for groups of lights and will be excited to use these for holiday colorings.

The best part of this driver is the speed.  I do have my 260 remotes programmed so hitting the red button notches down the brightness to the point of OFF.... basically the response time is immediate.  Haven't seen that speed in any other way of controlling LIFX other than the actual LIFX mobile app.

Highly recommend this driver is you have LIFX bulbs

On 6/16/2022 at 10:46 AM, david@berto.co.uk said:

This does not look as though the driver has installed correctly. I would delete from project and also /mnt/internal/c4z on the controller and then try again.

You should get the drivers from https://beta.berto.io/c4z and change the Release Branch to Beta under Core Configuration in the Berto Agent driver.

Thanks

Am trying to get this configured, I can't find or install Berto Agent?  Its not listed whatever I do? Any idea how to find it or install it?  I just dropped the files to drivers directory with old Berto files, do I need to remove old files first?  Also Berto_RelaySensor is named Berto_Unknown in the list.

19 hours ago, Amr said:

Am trying to get this configured, I can't find or install Berto Agent?  Its not listed whatever I do? Any idea how to find it or install it?  I just dropped the files to drivers directory with old Berto files, do I need to remove old files first?  Also Berto_RelaySensor is named Berto_Unknown in the list.

All drivers are available are https://beta.beta.io/c4z

Still WIP but LIFX and Wiz should be ready soon with Color support. 

1 hour ago, david@berto.co.uk said:

All drivers are available are https://beta.berto.io/c4z

Still WIP but LIFX and Wiz should be ready soon with Color support. 

What is the name of Berto Agent Driver? I copied it to didn’t find it although it’s in the drivers directory, search didn’t reveal it!? Oh I think I have to add it in the Agents not as a driver! Back to work.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.