C4 Forums | Control4

Autonomics

FLA

Since the latest Spotify fiasco some have talked about Autonomics although the jury seems to be out on whether or not it fully integrates with C4 and will work with Spotify. Does anybody have any news on it? My dealer is recommending it. I know have two Sonos Connects so if I decided to go with Autonomics I think I would keep one Sonos and ditch the other putting the Autonomics Mirage in its place. Autonomics seems to be very expensive which Cyknight also mentioned, so if I decide to get one I would like to know that it definitely works with Spotify and most anything else and that it won't be outdated in the near future.

I purchased a MMS 1e and could not get spotify to work.  There is a Beta driver out there but after 2.5 hours with autonomics tech support and them trying different versions of the driver, they had no luck. I messed with it over 3 weeks and had different integrators look at the driver.  I recently returned the unit and dealer is upgrading me to the MMS-2 will see if this one works.

I wouldn't count on any Spotify integration to be future proof. Autonomics has full integration with C4 and it has mini drivers for different services. It is truly a premium system, but you get what you pay for (PM me if you want prices). However, I read somewhere of somebody having problems integrating the new MMS-1 in C4.

Just got a MMS-2A (literally the day before SnapAV/Autonomics news came out).  Hoping that news ensures the company's longevity.  Now, I myself don't use Spotify, so can't speak to that (the login option is certainly there in setup, but I'm wary of putting my eggs in that basket given all the recent news) . However, I do use it for other services (Deezer, Pandora, local media)- which it does nicely.  I attached an info sheet on some streaming service options (I don't think it's all-inclusive, but the dealers here can speak to that with more authority).  Who knows if/when the other services (Amazon Music, Apple Music) get integrated?  I believe, in theory, it can do three outputs- I've only hooked up two so far- so in my mind that's the equivalent of three Sonos Connects. 

Autonomic Mirage_Streaming_Services.pdf

On December 20, 2016 at 2:52 PM, C4CA said:

I purchased a MMS 1e and could not get spotify to work.  There is a Beta driver out there but after 2.5 hours with autonomics tech support and them trying different versions of the driver, they had no luck. I messed with it over 3 weeks and had different integrators look at the driver.  I recently returned the unit and dealer is upgrading me to the MMS-2 will see if this one works.

23 hours ago, sturama said:

Just got a MMS-2A (literally the day before SnapAV/Autonomics news came out).  Hoping that news ensures the company's longevity.  Now, I myself don't use Spotify, so can't speak to that (the login option is certainly there in setup, but I'm wary of putting my eggs in that basket given all the recent news) . However, I do use it for other services (Deezer, Pandora, local media)- which it does nicely.  I attached an info sheet on some streaming service options (I don't think it's all-inclusive, but the dealers here can speak to that with more authority).  Who knows if/when the other services (Amazon Music, Apple Music) get integrated?  I believe, in theory, it can do three outputs- I've only hooked up two so far- so in my mind that's the equivalent of three Sonos Connects. 

Seems as though it would be foolish to go through the expense and move forward with a Autonomics Mirage at this point. My luck is that I step up to a Mirage and Spotify pulls the plug on Autonomics as well. My Sonos works well with everything else.

There's Fusion Ovation as well. But again, cost (though less than autonomics) vs what you get, and no guarantee either that Spotify won't pull the same thing.

Full disclosure: I'm NOT a fan of Fusion (issues with their movie solutions), but have hear good things about their current audio/ovation line-up.

8 hours ago, Cyknight said:

There's Fusion Ovation as well. But again, cost (though less than autonomics) vs what you get, and no guarantee either that Spotify won't pull the same thing.

Full disclosure: I'm NOT a fan of Fusion (issues with their movie solutions), but have hear good things about their current audio/ovation line-up.

Any experience with Russound XSource? https://www.russound.com/products/audio-systems/streaming-systems/xsource-streaming-audio-player

Also, just read that it looks like Crestron is discontinuing its NSP-1 streamer and is using the MMS-1E as a direct replacement. Wonder if they got tired of negotiating with the online services.

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2016 at 9:10 PM, sturama said:

How are you liking your MMS-2A?  Seriously considering this for a home that won't have Control4, at least initially, but currently has 6 audio zones. 

• 1 month later...

Oops.  Sorry, was away from the forum for a while (work/real life), and just saw this belatedly.  The Mirage server works pretty good.  Honestly, it's a nice setup for what it is: online streaming service provisioning.  So, works for my uses, though I'm finding myself using a lot more NAS-stored local music (FLAC/AAC) for more and more of my listening.  I guess I'm getting old :-)

I picked up an MMS-1e and also can;t get it t work for the life of me.   From a sound quality and stability perspective I like it a lot.  But integration is a no go with the beta drivers.  Autonomic says they should have the final drivers done soon, but did not have a date yet. 

• 1 month later...

Just installed an MMS1e today with control4 and wrote a review on manufacturers page. Here is a copy of the review to share with you guys:

As of this April 2017, control4 drivers were released so I gave it a shot in an effort to find a Spotify solution with Control4. Previous experiences with Autonomics MMS servers and Control4 have been bumpy and this was no different. 

I arrived on site and within 20 minutes, had the server installed, online and on the latest firmware. A quick net scan gets me the IP. I log into config and set the LAN to static. I then add the clients Spotify account. So far, all good. After adding MCP driver and E-series instance driver in composer, I make my connections and get scrolling wheel on C4 when I select the source. Delete and re add, rebind, reboot, etc I get the same issue. Server says "offline" on C4. Finally I call tech after an hour of testing and retesting. Tech logs in and tries everything again starting from the beginning several times. No dice. At one point, the Autonomics had taken over the controller and caused miscommunication with the existing Sonos connect and sharebridge somehow. 

Finally, Autonomics engineers log in and turns out the server was missing a key piece of software somehow. This same software issue has happened before by the way on other MMS installs. After more deleting and re adding of drivers, at some point they got it working. Instructions also left out a key piece of information. Nothing works until you add the mini drivers including the music mini driver which is for local music on the server. I was expecting a UI similar to Sonos or the MMS web screen and didn't realize the instance driver does nothing and needs to be hidden. This isn't very clear on the driver docs.

All told, it took just over 4 hours from enter to exit to get the unit working. Had it not been for the software issue, theoretically it could have been an in and out in under 40 minutes. Once working, it is fantastic. Spotify music and iTunes sync worked great. Airplay worked nicely and the direct Control4 interface is smooth when using the airplay features as it turns on the zone for you and everything. I'm very nervous about putting another one of these in since the issues don't seem to be understood clearly and no dedicated solution is offered other than trial and error. That being said, the missing or corrupt software may have played a large role in the problems experienced. This needs to be resolved by Autonomics since this isn't the first time I've seen that happen.

I have installed 2 fusion units as well. The new drivers go in like butter. Almost an exact process as the old sonos network/ zone player solution. I personally like the user interface and config page much nicer on the Autonomics. 

• 1 month later...

Just an update on the MMS1e install. Since it went in, I have been back to the house or had to log in remotely 3 times for issues. First time, unit just stopped working. Deleting and re adding drivers, update firmware, rebuilding etc fixed the issue. Second time, we had to update the rooms and the autonomics drivers stopped working completely afterwards. Update rooms actions did nothing. Again, removing and re adding the drivers, rebuilding the project etc fixed the issue. We were up and running without issue for about 3 weeks and then yesterday, client called and said Control4 system turning off by itself in all zones with all sources. I went to the site and confirmed. C4 techs logged in and saw in the logs that Autonomics driver was sending ROOM OFF commands to the system no matter what source was selected and from all rooms within 20 seconds of turning on. Autonomics techs logged in remotely and removed drivers again, rebuilt etc. Once again, another firmware update to the MMS1e server. Each one of these times, it's basically a 2 hour endeavor, completely not billable to the client.

I think until Autonomics gets this issue sorted once and for all and removes the Airplay functions that allow the Autonomics server to turn on the Control4 system etc, its either Fusion, sharebridge or no Spotify integration.

Archived