Jump to content
House72

Cost of C4 Install

Recommended Posts

Hello All

I just want some level of clarity on pricing received just for one room solution. I have a media room with following:

Epson 9700UB Projector

Kaleidescape Vault and Alto Player

Marantz UD5004 mainly for playing CD, SACD and DVD Audio

Dish Hopper

Marantz AV8802A

Apple TV

Roku

Bluesound Node 2 for Audio Server

Lighting system Lutron Caseta Pro

Now I am being sold an EA-3 for $1300 and rack mount kit for $49 and just couple of hours programming @ $125 totaling to $250.

So cost is basically $1599 plus taxes.

My question is can i go with EA-1. Even if I want to upgrade in future can get a EA-3 and EA-5 and make EA-1 a slave. Why would I need a EA-3 now. I am also not sure he is making more $ on equipment sale and showing less on programming. Not sure what you guys think?

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we to assume the system is already up and running and fully functional, other than the C4 system? If so what you have there is the EA-3 bundled with a remote and charging station. The price is spot on for the equipment and seems low if the system is functional otherwise. If the system is not already installed/functional...i wouldn't touch that for anything less than a grand for labor/programming. You have a good deal if that's a binding quote. And yes I feel the EA-3 is the safe bet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$149 Harmony Home Companion

$50 Amazon Alexa Echo Dot

2 Hours of programming (Theatre + Caseta)

Use Companion remote, or Phone, or Voice to control theatre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$250 for c4 overlay even if everything working is a steal. It will take longer than 2 hours to install even if everything 100% operational.  

If they're out the door in 2 hours you better have their number on speed dial 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, forum said:

$149 Harmony Home Companion

$50 Amazon Alexa Echo Dot

2 Hours of programming (Theatre + Caseta)

Use Companion remote, or Phone, or Voice to control theatre.

if all you ever want is 1 room, then this will likely work.  But it is real limiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, House72 said:

Hello All

I just want some level of clarity on pricing received just for one room solution. I have a media room with following:

Epson 9700UB Projector

Kaleidescape Vault and Alto Player

Marantz UD5004 mainly for playing CD, SACD and DVD Audio

Dish Hopper

Marantz AV8802A

Apple TV

Roku

Bluesound Node 2 for Audio Server

Lighting system Lutron Caseta Pro

Now I am being sold an EA-3 for $1300 and rack mount kit for $49 and just couple of hours programming @ $125 totaling to $250.

So cost is basically $1599 plus taxes.

My question is can i go with EA-1. Even if I want to upgrade in future can get a EA-3 and EA-5 and make EA-1 a slave. Why would I need a EA-3 now. I am also not sure he is making more $ on equipment sale and showing less on programming. Not sure what you guys think?

 

Cheers

You would be good with an EA-1 since this is only 1 room. The EA-1 comes with a remote if I am not mistaken. Have them quote that. This situation seems like exactly what the EA-1 was made for.

The 2 hours of programming seems low. While this isn't that complicated it still takes a while just to get connected and bind all that stuff together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, therockhr said:

The EA-1 comes with a remote if I am not mistaken

the EA-1 can come w or without a remote...just depends on if you buy the bundle or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All 

Thanks for the all the messages. I may not add another room for atleast few years. So I would be happy with a EA-1. Currently I have three light switches on Caseta System.

He has quoted me for the bundle.

Thanks

Rajesh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, d1amund said:

Are we to assume the system is already up and running and fully functional, other than the C4 system? If so what you have there is the EA-3 bundled with a remote and charging station. The price is spot on for the equipment and seems low if the system is functional otherwise. If the system is not already installed/functional...i wouldn't touch that for anything less than a grand for labor/programming. You have a good deal if that's a binding quote. And yes I feel the EA-3 is the safe bet.

Yes. My system is functional and currently was able to show Roomie remote working this. I just want something that is little more polished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also have to mention this they have quoted me $1K in labor to wire 4 in ceiling speakers to run Atmos. Mind you my house has an attic and channel already run to get wires to my AV Rack. So my guess is they are looking at this from a big picture and making money there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1k to just "wire" the speakers? That is absolutely insane. I too recommend to go with the EA3. The big thing that isn't being mentioned here is the different amount of zones you can control. Granted even if you want only one room at the moment, you would have the freedom to add additional zones at anytime. If you are tight on a budget the EA1 will suffice, but I would personally future proof. It's not that big of a cost difference. The rest of the quote looks fine but I agree the programming time is low. I would take the deal but request a free one hour visit if something isn't working correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other added benefit of the EA3 and EA5 is better High Resolution Audio support.

20 minutes ago, JakeCowan said:

1k to just "wire" the speakers? That is absolutely insane. I too recommend to go with the EA3. The big thing that isn't being mentioned here is the different amount of zones you can control. Granted even if you want only one room at the moment, you would have the freedom to add additional zones at anytime. If you are tight on a budget the EA1 will suffice, but I would personally future proof. It's not that big of a cost difference. The rest of the quote looks fine but I agree the programming time is low. I would take the deal but request a free one hour visit if something isn't working correctly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JakeCowan said:

1k to just "wire" the speakers? That is absolutely insane. I too recommend to go with the EA3. The big thing that isn't being mentioned here is the different amount of zones you can control. Granted even if you want only one room at the moment, you would have the freedom to add additional zones at anytime. If you are tight on a budget the EA1 will suffice, but I would personally future proof. It's not that big of a cost difference. The rest of the quote looks fine but I agree the programming time is low. I would take the deal but request a free one hour visit if something isn't working correctly.

I feel that is how he is making this viable and its my worry.  His quote for labor is

$1k for wiring four in ceiling speakers

$500 for cleaning up all wiring in my AV Rack

He also wants to sell me 4 Monitor in ceiling speakers @850 each for atmos and a $2500 amp to run that. I am probably going to ask him to just give me a C4 quote and separate out the job.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like he is probably overcharging for the speaker install but is definitely undercharging for the programing by at least 3 hours depending on expectations including training/comissioning. A wash is a wash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1k to wire up speakers is no more or less reasonable without knowing the difficulties of the task. Attic work...cost can go up especially if it's hot and humid. Difficulties with getting those wires down to the rack may also be present. My point...without an actual walkthrough nobody can tell for sure from the comfort of our desks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

Sounds like he is probably overcharging for the speaker install but is definitely undercharging for the programing by at least 3 hours depending on expectations including training/comissioning. A wash is a wash

My only worry is I don't want him to come back and say this is all covered in 2 hour programming. I would rather be happy if he prices according to job. This makes me think should I look for a different vendor. 

Unfortunately I don't have a C4 Dealer near my house. I have multiple people who are interested to do atmos install.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, d1amund said:

1k to wire up speakers is no more or less reasonable without knowing the difficulties of the task. Attic work...cost can go up especially if it's hot and humid. Difficulties with getting those wires down to the rack may also be present. My point...without an actual walkthrough nobody can tell for sure from the comfort of our desks.

I agree. In my case, as I ran wires for 5.2 initially know its easy. I am not an expert but took just couple of hours to fish wires through. I also ran xlr cases and now use powered speakers. I have channel for running extra wires there as well. So I feel its more of a wash, but just worried about programming quality as its quoted so low.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, House72 said:

My only worry is I don't want him to come back and say this is all covered in 2 hour programming. I would rather be happy if he prices according to job. This makes me think should I look for a different vendor. 

Unfortunately I don't have a C4 Dealer near my house. I have multiple people who are interested to do atmos install.

 

Couldn't agree more. On the flip side, client's concerns are understandable so probably best to just have a frank conversation with the dealer before making more assumptions. Hopefully clarity delivers a win-win all around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$500 rack clean up is reasonable I'd say depending on what's in and and how bad the nest is. Could take just as long to take apart as put back together. Plus any shelves, laces bars, straps, zip ties etc. 

agreed on wiring. 

 

Maybe you misread the quote or they mixed up the labor numbers and it's $1k to program and $250 for the speaker run?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×