C4 Forums | Control4

Control 4 - AVM-16AM P3-B - MULTI CHANNEL AMPLIFIER

Need your advice please.

We've decided that we'll move away from using Control4 for our home automation.  But we have this amplifier that has hardly been used - paid over $2K for it a few years ago.

Is there a way we can still stream music through this amplifier without the HC-200 or HC-300 etc.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

17 minutes ago, ichbinbose said:

Without a controller you won't be able to control the amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you ichbinbose!

Does it have to be a control4 controller? or could another system "control" this amplifier?

An unrelated question, can a universal remote control e.g. a Harmony Elite work be mapped with an HC-300? 

4 minutes ago, Ctrl4notWkng said:

An unrelated question, can a universal remote control e.g. a Harmony Elite work be mapped with an HC-300? 

NO.  I mean, you could teach IR signals to the Harmony Elite but I'm not sure if the HC-300 can be controlled that way. 

3 hours ago, Ctrl4notWkng said:

Need your advice please.

We've decided that we'll move away from using Control4 for our home automation.  But we have this amplifier that has hardly been used - paid over $2K for it a few years ago.

Is there a way we can still stream music through this amplifier without the HC-200 or HC-300 etc.

CAN an outside control be used - I suppose so, at least via IP control, if someone would be willing to go through the process of creating such a driver by first reverse engineering things. So, realistically, no - not really.

Doing it via harmony (or other IR) to HC300 isn't going to be the way to go either. You say you want to step away from Control4 - going this route isn't that at all - in fact you'd require MORE programming on the C4 side to make it happen as all you're doing is sending an IR signal to C4, who then still has to do all the 'background' work as usual.

Whatever your reasoning to ditch your C4 system are yours - but trying to backtrack some of it into another system isn't going to make things better, just worse.

5 hours ago, Ctrl4notWkng said:

@knowitall we just decided no point throwing more money at C4 at this point.  

@abovedeck that's what I was hoping for actually- to be able to "teach" the remote to control the HC-300.

You don't need an IR blaster. The HC-200, HC-300, and HC-500 can accept IR signals from a 3rd party remote (Pronto, URC, RTI, Harmony etc). You have to use Control4's IR table and link the commands in the programming tab.

27 minutes ago, koxkp said:

So what you're really doing is keeping control4 and using a harmony remote instead of SR-250?

Kinda like buying a Porsche and having the motor changed to a Volkswagen motor. 

58 minutes ago, Thatguy230 said:

Kinda like buying a Porsche and having the motor changed to a Volkswagen motor.

true and I agree 100%, but IF they wants to have a dealer make generic inputs 1-8 and rooms 1-8. Set up the IR input bindings. They can do the rest in composer HE to do the IR masks and painfully learn all the commands into the harmony (which will be a pain in the ass) use codes 201-208 for the source selection for each zone and then the harmony would control the devices themselves. They would get the DIY solution he may be searching for as all the c4 gear is being used for is source selection and volume routing. Definitely not the best way to go but it is possible 

My guess is that he really just needs a new dealer to help fix whatever issues he's having and to provide the support that is needed for his system or to at least help him move in another direction

29 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

true and I agree 100%, but IF he wants to have a dealer make generic inputs 1-8 and rooms 1-8. Set up the IR input bindings. He can do the rest in composer HE to do the IR masks and painfully learn all the commands into the harmony (which will be a pain in the ass) use codes 201-208 for the source selection for each zone and then the harmony would control the devices themselves. He would get the DIY solution he may be searching for as all the c4 gear is being used for is source selection and volume routing. Definitely not the best way to go but it is possible 

And a VW bug motors can fit in a Porsche. B)

Thanks all!

Yes, I most definitely don't want to make things worse or spend too much time on it.

All I am trying to do is be able to use the 8-zone amplifier.  For now, we are no longer using the SR-250 (two of them)- they fell off the grid anyway.

We don't care about the thermostats anymore.  Locks have been taken care off by another system.

7 minutes ago, Ctrl4notWkng said:

Thanks all!

Yes, I most definitely don't want to make things worse or spend too much time on it.

All I am trying to do is be able to use the 8-zone amplifier.  For now, we are no longer using the SR-250 (two of them)- they fell off the grid anyway.

We don't care about the thermostats anymore.  Locks have been taken care off by another system.

you can't use the AMP without a control4 system.  

You really only have 2 options:

1) invest more and upgrade your system

2) sell your amp on ebay and buy a new one

Man, sometimes I just wanna fix these things for the customer just to establish a truth:

A good system is only as good as the install and programming.  I've seen Crestron systems with awful graphics and poor programming.  not Crestron's fault, and bad URC remotes with very bad macros and layouts, again not Universal Remote's fault.

im sure you could actually use this system a bit more if you had someone help you from here...Control4 really does have some great features.

PM me if you want help... I'm always curious to see how someone left the system and in what shape.

14 hours ago, Ctrl4notWkng said:

Need your advice please.

Hi Ctrl4notwkng,

I'm really sorry you had a bad experience with your Control4 system.  I'd like to see if I can assist, please PM me and I can see if I can find your account to better assist.

Archived