C4 Forums | Control4

What to do with Sonos setup now?

DLite

Question

The old Sonos driver has finally begun to give up the ghost for me, now that it no longer supports Pandora.  I am trying to understand what the options are going forward, whether it is with the new endorsed driver or some other solution.  I could use some advice and some clarifications from the experts.

Right now, I have 10 audio zones.  I have no matrix amp, because (I think) the Sonos network acts kinda like the matrix amp.  Is that the correct interpretation?  Currently, it would be a huge pain to run speaker wires to all 10 zones from one or two central locations in the house.  So, I assume it would correspondingly be a huge pain to switch over to a C4 matrix amp, because I would need to run speaker wires in that fashion -- is that also correct?  

If so, let's assume I grit my teeth and stick with Sonos network as the "matrix," along with the new endorsed driver.  Is it possible to configure the system so that I can use C4's Pandora and Tidal drivers to browse music from inside a C4 Touch Screen? Or is this categorically impossible without running speaker wires everywhere?  If it's possible, what (roughly) is the setup I should be asking my dealer for?  

If anyone else has other thoughts or advice for how to get through the tragic demise of my old driver, that would be welcome.  :)

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Use the new Sonos driver and play app swapping?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

yup...

one big issue is that the new driver and API made by sonos does not allow for 3rd party integrators to select the audio input of a connect preamp programatically so you may be able to connect a controller to a zone player and que up something in c4 but there is no way in c4 to route through the sonos net to a desired zone. You can dedicate certain c4 controllers connected to certain zone players and use the sono's auto on when the audio input sees a signal but that is a hackjob for sure that will yield a headache

Ok, sad news, but very helpful to know.

I have a couple of scripts that launch a Pandora station programmatically in a couple of rooms.  If I add that station to my Sonos favorites, will I still be able to call it from a script, using the new endorsed driver?  

Same question for announcements: if I add the announcement file to favorites, can I play it programmatically in the room(s) of my choice?

Thanks

Archived