C4 Forums | Control4

How to install C4 light switch to 4 way light switch

Kidsat

Hi,

I am trying to install a C4 light switch where I have a 4 way switch now.

On the switch itself do I go

Red to Red, White to White, Black to Black and then Yellow to Black? Does it matter which black the yellow goes to and which Black the black goes to?

On the 2 aux switches. The first one,  here is the wires I have coming out of my box

White, Red, Black. But I only have 2 wires from the aux switch beside the ground, so what do I connect what to? 

On my other aux switch spot, I have the following wires

2 reds, 2 blacks and a white. So that has me really confused. What do I connect with what?

Thanks 

3 hours ago, knowitall said:

Seems like you should read the instructions provided with the switch before you burn down your (or someone else’s) home. 

Indeed, go over it in detail, then do it twice more. Then get an electrician. And a wire toner.

That’s the point these guys are making. You’re NOT installing a 4 way switch. You’re reconfiguring the existing 4 way and 3 way switch wiring to install the C4 switches. 

You’ll need a voltage tester. You’ll need to identify your power feed (hot and neutral), your switch leg to the load (hot and neutral) , and the pair of wires used for the travelers. 

Once you get that figured out you can resplice as needed to get what you need where you need it. 

Agree that OP should hire an electrician, but that said, the installation instructions don’t cover multi-aux keypad installations. Can one run multiple aux keypads to a single dimmer? If so, how is that wired? Can you use the travelers between switch 3, 4, and potentially more be used to wire them in parallel? Or do they all have to “home run” back to the master dimmer?

Well... the dimmer only has one yellow wire... so how is the dimmer going to know if you spliced the yellows at the dimmer itself, or spliced them together down the line? It doesn’t care. 

That said, I do think there is/was a maximum length that yellow wire can be run. 100’? 150’? I think it’s in the documents. Worth checking. 

Can't you just use a dimmer in the main spot and then two button keypads in the other spots?  Then you just need to power the keypads at the aux locations and only worry about the load at the main dimmer.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

Can't you just use a dimmer in the main spot and then two button keypads in the other spots?  Then you just need to power the keypads at the aux locations and only worry about the load at the main dimmer.

This is why I had to ask... I almost never use Aux Keypads, preferring a 2-button keypad in place of the formerly 3-way switches.  

1 hour ago, knowitall said:

The AUX kp’s Are powered from the switch/dimmer

the instructions supplied are very clear, if you can’t interpret, call someone who can

The instructions were not clear to me, as the instructions for the Aux Keypad say "for wiring instructions, refer to the examples in documentation for the main switch/dimmer" (or something to that effect) and when I checked the instructions for an APD, it gives an example for "Multiple Device Location using Auxiliary Keypad".  Singular.  No examples for more than one keypad.  I tend to take things very literally (especially when dealing with electricity), so I wouldn't personally connect more than one keypad without verifying it was OK.

I don't do electrical wiring, I call someone who knows that business, but they don't know Control4 and the last thing I want to do is blow a switch or dimmer because I told the electrician to do something stupid.

In 3 way (or more) circuits, the goal is to create a 2 way circuit between the C4 device and the light.  All the other locations need to be wired so that the circuit is complete and no switch of any type is needed in the other locations.  This will require a volt meter to test voltage or continuity across all wires.  Some wires in the other locations may need to be twisted together and tucked away in order to complete the circuit for the C4 load controlling device.  Aux keypads don't control a load.  There will need to be a free dead wire available to connect the Aux to the C4 lighting device.  Most electricians get confused with this "travellor" wire and want to wire it the same way as a standard 3 way circuit.  An Aux keypad won't work like that.

Aux keypads and 3rd gen lighting in 3 way circuits are great because it doesn't require any programming or connections and the controller doesn't have to be running.   The older gen keypad buttons don't do anything if the controller is down. Same with programming 3rd gen lighting to work in 3 way to activate top and button presses instead of properly installing aux keypads.

Archived