C4 Forums | Control4

Compatible Locks

ILoveC4

So, we now have Baldwin, Kwikset and Yale making C4 compatible locks...are there any others?

Also, is there somewhere that one can go to see the available locks, styles, etc...from the different vendors? There aren't any on Control4's website, and it doesn't appear the lock manufacturers state on their website which are compatible and which aren't.

Dan

Correct. Curretnly only B&D branded and Yale locks are supported.

Here is Yale: http://www.control4.com/files/partners/Yale-Real-Living-Brochure.pdf or http://www.control4.com/residential/products/security/yale-deadbolt/

(Currently only the deadbolts on the Yale Locks)

Here is the Kwikset and Baldwin: http://www.control4.com/residential/products/security/kwikset-deadbolt/

(Supports deadbolts and Leverlocks)

I hope this helps.

Matt

Correct. Curretnly only B&D branded and Yale locks are supported.

Here is Yale: http://www.control4.com/files/partners/Yale-Real-Living-Brochure.pdf or http://www.control4.com/residential/products/security/yale-deadbolt/

(Currently only the deadbolts on the Yale Locks)

Here is the Kwikset and Baldwin: http://www.control4.com/residential/products/security/kwikset-deadbolt/

(Supports deadbolts and Leverlocks)

I hope this helps.

Matt

That is very helpful Matt, thank you!

Just curious, is this information I should have been able to access without a direct link? I spent a few minutes looking, but came up empty.

Another question...I've seen the Yale lock and it is nice. That is probably the route I will take. I'm only hesitant because they don't have a matching handleset available (that I can see) and I am doubtful that the finish will be an exact match. The various "bronze" products have extreme variation. Even "oil rubbed bronze" varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, not counting the "distressed" or "aged" or "venetian rubbed".

At any rate, what I am getting at, is has anyone seen the Baldwin lock? I'm curious if the buttons are hard plastic or soft rubber like the Kwikset? I have 3 Kwikset locks on other exterior doors now, but those aren't suitable for the front door. I may get the Baldwin lock WITHOUT the keypad, but if the buttons are a hard plastic I may consider that.

I wish the Yale had a matching handleset.

I have the Baldwin and 2 Kwiksets. I got the Kwiksets a while back and use them on a side door and garage entrance door. I wasn't too thrilled about the quality or buttons on them.

I initially had reservations going with Baldwin thinking that they are going to be like the Kwiksets but it is actually a far superior product. Internally they are identical though. But on the outside, the buttons are hard plastic and the entire assembly just feels heavier and sturdier. Overall, I'm glad I went with the Baldwin for the front door.

Also keep in mind that the Baldwins use a C-keyway (Schlage) while the Kwiksets use the K-keyway, in case you are thinking about creating a master key.

The whole “venetian” bronzed / rubbed (however you want to call or name it) – is hard to match. I personally switched from the venetian look to nickel since there is not a standard and it is difficult to match.

Matt

I have the Baldwin and 2 Kwiksets. I got the Kwiksets a while back and use them on a side door and garage entrance door. I wasn't too thrilled about the quality or buttons on them.

I initially had reservations going with Baldwin thinking that they are going to be like the Kwiksets but it is actually a far superior product. Internally they are identical though. But on the outside, the buttons are hard plastic and the entire assembly just feels heavier and sturdier. Overall, I'm glad I went with the Baldwin for the front door.

Also keep in mind that the Baldwins use a C-keyway (Schlage) while the Kwiksets use the K-keyway, in case you are thinking about creating a master key.

Thanks Kevvo. Yes guys, I could see pictures, but it is hard to tell from the pictures if the buttons are rubber with glossy paint (that will most certainly crack and flake off in short order) or if they're hard plastic, similar to the Yale.

Kevvo, are you saying that I can't have one key that will operate both a Kwikset and a Baldwin lock? I'm unfamiliar with C-keyway vs. K-keyway...but I can always look it up.

Thanks guys.

If you are in a position to, (building or renovating) hard wiring locks opens your possibilities up enormously, then there is also no need for battery replacements.

Just to throw in another option!

The whole “venetian” bronzed / rubbed (however you want to call or name it) – is hard to match. I personally switched from the venetian look to nickel since there is not a standard and it is difficult to match.

Matt

Yeah, unfortunately that isn't realistic for me. We're talking hinges, knobs, light fixtures, faucets, etc....it would be BEYOND expensive.

Dan.... I've Been Waiting for the Yale "Lever Locks" also. They have pictures of them, but nothing in Person Yet. I emailed/Facebooked them, and here is the Response I got...... I'm waiting for them. They are Exactly what I need!!

To: Yale Real Living April 17 at 10:34am · ..Any Release date on the Yale Touchscreen With the Lever? I need a few in Zigbee.

Hey Tom. It's looking like July.

From: Tom You guys are killing me.... First it was March, then May, now July!!

Dan.... I've Been Waiting for the Yale "Lever Locks" also. They have pictures of them, but nothing in Person Yet. I emailed/Facebooked them, and here is the Response I got...... I'm waiting for them. They are Exactly what I need!!

To: Yale Real Living April 17 at 10:34am · ..Any Release date on the Yale Touchscreen With the Lever? I need a few in Zigbee.

Hey Tom. It's looking like July.

From: Tom You guys are killing me.... First it was March, then May, now July!!

That's frustrating. I'm not looking for one with the level, looking for a big handleset that is appropriate for the main entry door on the front of the house.

Hopefully they get that released soon though...I'm not patient and that wait would be killing me!

Dan,

I also have both Kwickset deadbolts and levers as well as the Baldwin versions for the main entry. The Baldwin is more expensive but definitely a big step up in quality. It feels almost twice as heavy. Even the latch deadbolt assembly is of much higher quality. I had the same issues with looking for a handleset for the front door. I wound up going with the Baldwin Boulder 3/4 eschuteon handleset without the keypad and one 3/4 dummy on my double doors on the front. From the outside it looks like a normal double handleset without any keypad but has the backside of the lock inside of the active panel. (That is one of the reasons why I was working on a remote keyless entry.) I have the regular Boulder with the keypad on the Mud Room door for our routine use. The Yale locks look cool and seem to have a nice app but the appearance did not work IMO and more importantly for the wife.

I have just moved in the house and so I can't give a very good review on using them long. The front door lock has not been use yet since the front doors still need to be adjusted and have weatherstripping added. (Thats what I get for getting custom made wood doors probably should have gotten factory units.) Anyway when I odrered them the dealer came back with the same price for the deadbolt with the keypad and for the one without the keypad that just had the backside. So I just ordered two both full locks with the keypad. I can't explain that one. I called Baldwin and they told me they were the same just one did not come with the keypad. Anyway one of the keypads did not work, I though I was OK but the second one now has a button that does not work so I will need to RMA one.

As an aside. I have the Kwikset levers on some interior doors and on the garage, pool bath etc. For the inside we wanted brushed nickel but did not particularly like the wave handle. It turns out the handles are interchangable. This is not advertised or in the instructions but I found out from experiminentation. We changed the levers for Kwikset Ashfield which I used in the house and are really happy with them. (To do this use the handles from an entry set as they are longer than the handles from passage sets, I can't remember if the privacy levers worked. I swapped the ones I had inside attic doors etc to use the Ashfield levers inside.)

Thanks Bud. Would you mind taking some pictures of your Baldwin lock without the keypad? I think that's the route I'm going to take.

I have 3 exterior doors with the Kwikset zigbee locks now and they work well, but like I said they won't fly for the front door =) I'd love to see some pictures of yours, if you don't mind.

Archived