C4 Forums | Control4

NAS Dead, need suggestions on a solid replacement

My NAS died this weekend, had a ReadyNas Pro Pioneer and it went and died. I'm sure I can get some warranty work on it since it's just under the 3 year warranty, but since I'm mostly likely having to start over, time to look at options...

Would like a nice rack mount NAS, along with some sort of secondary backup solution... What are people using out there?

Thanks!

Synology, beside serving movie/music locally, you actually can access your music/movie anywhere with internet access. In iOS/Android, search for Synology, it give you all the apps (audio, camera, file, photo..) to access your Synology NAS.

My friends were shock when I use iphone to play music on the synology NAS in the car with blutooth connect to car's speakers.. :)

Synology, beside serving movie/music locally, you actually can access your music/movie anywhere with internet access. In iOS/Android, search for Synology, it give you all the apps (audio, camera, file, photo..) to access your Synology NAS.

My friends were shock when I use iphone to play music on the synology NAS in the car with blutooth connect to car's speakers.. :)

Do you use MyMovies with Synology for coverart/metadata? I'm also looking at replacing my HP mediasmart server and Synology is a strong contender.

+1 on the Synology. Have a 3TB drive in their DS212j model and it works great. Its not a rack-mount model...those are quite a bit more expensive and I decided that the added functionality wasn't worth it. The 2-bay model can support 6 TB which is enough for my household. I havent even dug into all its features, either...

Its own own operating system. Built from the ground up. Comes with Control4 accounts built in, etc. Ryan has one (and about 6 others) but they are going live now. We will have an OS update (free) in a month or so to add a few new features but its pimp. I'm very very proud of them (although I'm not capable to write software like that so I payed a company to do it). Transfer speeds for movies are great.

synology as a camera recorder NVR?

How does this work? Can someone provide some details?

I can't seem to find pricing on camera licensing, how does this work?

Yeah, QNAP does that too... License? for what?

From what I read, to use the synology NAS as a camera recorder, you need a license for each camera past the first camera, but I can't find where you buy the license? Or the price. If it's 50 bucks a camera, it gets expensive quickly...

Still waiting on James specs, I am intrigued on using his solution, not only as a NAS but as a media server as well and with HDMI out, putting that in place of my Dune could be amazing.

I did get the ReadyNAS to boot yesterday and was able to copy about a TB of data off... Replacement drives should be here today, lets home it rebuilds the RAID before another disk fails.

This weekend I will have everything up even if I have to stay up until 4 am every night with pricing (which is up from last year due to the hard drive shortage/flood issue). There is a server and a NAS. The server is really smart (as seen in our youtube channel) and the nas works like a synology/readynas, etc. but (in my opinion at least) more for the money as its set up for movies/music only (few large file requests) and not designed to be also appropriate for office use (multiple simultaneous requests for smaller files) etc.

I'll try and make a video of the NAS user interface. We also have a rackmount nas (dd12) but it is rather expensive (like a rackmount readynas/synology though).

They can work together with Rsync at two locations as well but it would only be legal (I think) to sync documents, photos, etc. with a vacation home for instance because you wouldn't own the second copy of the movie but I'm not sure.

synology as a camera recorder NVR?

How does this work? Can someone provide some details?

I can't seem to find pricing on camera licensing' date=' how does this work?[/quote']

http://www.amazon.com/Synology-IP-Camera-License-Pack/dp/B001MJ0JAO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338492486&sr=8-1

$57.87 PER CAMERA!?! That's crazy...just buy the Snap A/V unit. It's WAY cheaper. For the price of 8 Camera Licenses you can buy the entire Snap A/V unit. And that is after you have already ponied up for the NAS.

That's highway robbery right there.

This weekend I will have everything up even if I have to stay up until 4 am every night with pricing (which is up from last year due to the hard drive shortage/flood issue). There is a server and a NAS. The server is really smart (as seen in our youtube channel) and the nas works like a synology/readynas, etc. but (in my opinion at least) more for the money as its set up for movies/music only (few large file requests) and not designed to be also appropriate for office use (multiple simultaneous requests for smaller files) etc.

I'll try and make a video of the NAS user interface. We also have a rackmount nas (dd12) but it is rather expensive (like a rackmount readynas/synology though).

They can work together with Rsync at two locations as well but it would only be legal (I think) to sync documents, photos, etc. with a vacation home for instance because you wouldn't own the second copy of the movie but I'm not sure.

Is there a C4forum Group discount? :)

Is there a C4forum Group discount? :)

Yeah, it's a special pricing, called "Retail".

:)

RyanE

Disclaimer: I don't set James' pricing, or even know what it is. I have seen the NAS, and it is uber cool.

James, how many drives does your NAS hold?

OK guys I got everything up on the site except 1 youttube video. There is a new category at the left called dd Smart NAS and one called dd Smart Server. Tons of info, pictures, a video, a in-depth users guide/manual, etc. A special note, on the dd NAS product pages, you can click the medium size images of the operating system screen caputure to blow those up to even larger sizes so you can see more detail.

As requested, I've created two introductory c4forums coupons. The coupon code "c4forumsNAS" will yield $250 Off Any dd Smart NAS this month.

The coupon code "c4forumsSERVER" will yield $500 Off any dd Smart Server this month.

Drives, redundancy, etc. is all covered on the detail pages. As is always with our site, it is best viewed in internet explorer.

Archived