C4 Forums | Control4

WOW. A surveymonkey has just hit my inbox

^Alex, don't go away thinking C4 has a responsibility. They do but they don't. It does not extend beyond the tip of their nose. This is the world we live in but us individuals have to step-up to plate too. They are protected to the hilt because of money & talent. We, on the other hand, may not be.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, I can't let that go....

And that is exactly why you get so much gruff on your posts, you can not let anything go. Once you start you refuse to let go until everyone agrees with you.

Not going to happen.

Slow down and enjoy

Brent

Ok, time to calm down...

Social hacking aside. There are laws in the US (not sure of other countries) that require companies to notify end users if their information was compromised.

I highly doubt this was an attack, but just a simple way of trying to reach out to the customer.

Securing this site is pointless. Securing your email account, needed. If you use google / gmail, enable 2 stage authentication immediately.

If you use other mail services then make sure they have a solid account recovery process (not just password recovery).

Change your password often. Use a password randomizer and a good encrypted password vault, so even you don't know your passwords.

If you really want the internet to be secured, you might want to get off the internet. Security is an illusion, nothing is completely secure. The illusion is that you still feel comfortable using it.

MD5 Hashed passwords were recently compromised and indexed, thanks to Last.fm and Linkedin.com So, app developers and websites are scrambling to add higher levels of encryption to password hashes. But still, changing your password often will stop most attack vectors by script kiddies.

However, nothing beats a good man in the middle attack and SQL privilege elevation. Or my new favorite, intel's x64 bug that allows local admin escalated privileges: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/649219 Hopefully a patch will be issued soon.

If there was an issue, I'm sure Control4 will notify people, but the reality is, everything looks like it was on the up and up. Now, had they asked for my password, my tin foil hat would have come on :)

Change your password often. Use a password randomizer and a good encrypted password vault, so even you don't know your passwords.

^ This.

I taught my 80 year old dad how to use LastPass. If he can do it, *anyone* can do it.

RyanE

Sorry, I can't let that go....

If any my.control4.com account get's hacked. No matter how..then by definition it *is* a breach of Control4's system....

At least that's what I thought.

If a single account gets 'hacked', that's not a breach of c4 servers. The vast majority of things being 'hacked' in the news isn't what is commonly perceived as hacking. The vast majority of compromised credit cards and 'identify theft' are from people getting your email / password information. You browsing those unmentionable sites, malware gets a root on your PC, and the next time you log into your bank account, the 'hacker' has your info.

Then people generally use the same password and email for EVERY account, so you phish one account, and you get 20.

This, phishing, is the vast majority of what happens when the news reports about 'hacking' and 'identify theft'. Are there others out there, actually hacking, ie breaking into secured systems? Sure.

Phishing is NOT a breach of Control4's systems, it's a breach of the customer's password security.

Anyway. It doesn't matter. The lawyers by that stage would just be picking up the carcus.

LoL!

There is NO legal basis for poor password security on the customer's end assigning liability to the corporation. Sorry, take control of YOUR security, and your unfounded fear of getting 'hacked' is instantly abated.

The reason why a Control4 breach would be so different (and more serious) than say a Sony Playstation, or LastFM hack, is because it would be a breach into the very lives of their customers (the end users) and their houses, and their confidence in the company....

Home security has become one of *the* selling points of the product has it not? I'm probably just like every other (future) customer out there. I'd tie the two together..

With an internet security breach, I'd immediately think..oh.. maybe I won't put that HA system in after all.. Hey they can't even handle their *own* security...

Your 'recommendations' would do nothing to deter an actual server breach. They would increase password security, but that is YOUR responsibility.

Anyway :rolleyes: I'm out :)

If only.

• 2 months later...

I got an email from C4 the other week offering me a discount on purchase for filling in the survey, but I didn't get anything re. a device license per the survey. The last page of the survey said "Don't forget to provide your contact information below so we can send you your free MyHome device license"

Has anyone got their license?

Toke

• 2 months later...
^You guys are joking, right?

No! Why would I joke? It was a very clear statement in their survey. Was it a rich offer? Yes, but they made it.

Let me clarify, it wasn't for a whole home license. It was for a device license.

If my memory serves me correctly this ended up just an offer for a license for one computer. Not a whole home.

But I recall the offer was a bit confusing at the time

I certainly initially read it as a total home license

Mind you the whole roll out of the "MyHome" license thing was screwed up from the start IMHO

Remember when this first came in, it started with a price of a coupe of hundred $ for one computer/device.

Then they rolled out the whole MyHome thing (multiple unlimited computer/devices) for only a hundred or so more without crediting customers who had ponied up for one device only weeks before...

There really should have only been one license. For multiple devices. Right from the start.

I think that is where the confusion has come from. Maybe even C4 is still confused.

I certainly find all the marketing and the naming of myhome, my.control4, myHomePC thing etc etc still a bit confusing..:)

^ Hi JP. I can't remember.

I don't think so. Because I had already paid for two device licenses. So I didn't need it.

Because QVamp is right.... the whole thing has been a bit of a mess..

Edited. After checking the dates.

JP. I did NOT get a free *device* license. I already had two specific device licenses *prior* to the survey monkey offer.

So if the offer was for a device license it didn't apply to me.. :)

Ok let's sort this.

I went back and did the survey. The link is in post 25. I couldn't find the offer again. But Toke says in was in the SECOND LAST page of the survey. I skipped over this!!..Now I can't reload the survey! :rolleyes:

So can someone go back and do the survey and check very carefuly the wording of the second last page?....

And copy-paste the offer here..

Let's clarify first what the offer was really for.

Cheers... :)

The front page says this:

For just a 5-10 minute investment of your time, you will be entered into a drawing for our new HC-800 Controller, HC-250 Controller, 7" Portable Touch Screen with Camera, a MyHome Site License and up to $500 in installation costs (over $3,000 MSRP value). Please complete the survey no later than July 15, 2012 in order to be eligible for the drawing. See all details on the final page of the survey.

Are you saying that *everyone* who does the survey is supposed to get a MyHome license (individual, not site)?

RyanE

Ok let's sort this.

I went back and did the survey. The link is in post 25. I couldn't find the offer again. But Toke says in was in the SECOND LAST page of the survey. I skipped over this!!..Now I can't reload the survey! :rolleyes:

So can someone go back and do the survey and check very carefuly the wording of the second last page?....

I just retook the survey and here is what the last page says:

We appreciate you taking some time to share your opinions with us. You will be entered into the drawing for the Grand Prize Control4 Giveaway (if you provided your information on the previous page), which will occur by July 31,2012. *Please see details below.

Thank you for being part of the Control4 family.

*Limit one entry per Control4 customer residence. Incomplete entries are void. All entries become the property of Control4 and will not be acknowledged or returned. This offer has no cash value and supplemental products are not available for return or exchange except under a valid RMA warranty claim. You must complete the survey by July 15, 2012 in order to be entered into the drawing. Grand Prize random drawing will take place by July 31, 2012 and the winner will be contacted via email or telephone. All decisions are final and binding. By entering, participants release and hold harmless Control4, its subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, employees, directors and officers from any and all liability for any injuries, losses, claims, demands or damages of any kind arising from or in connection with the Grand Prize Giveaway or prize won or participation in the Grand Prize Giveaway. Control4 will work with your original dealer to install the products or will work with you to find a suitable alternate dealer. Control4 shall only pay up to the amount listed above in dealer service fees, and Control4 is not responsible for any services rendered by such dealer. You have the right to opt out of this drawing by not providing your information on the last page of the survey. Control4 reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.

Ryan everyone I think is confused about the wording of the offer..

Site vs Device

See your post 18.

I recall there was also definitely an additional offer to everyone who filled out the survey...

Not just a prize to be entered into a draw for a MyHome site License (amongst other things)..

It was probably an offer for just a device license. Not an all home site (ie multiple device) license...

Am I making sense?...

Ok let's sort this.

I just retook the survey and here is what the last page says:

We appreciate you taking some time to share your opinions with us. You will be entered into the drawing for the Grand Prize Control4 Giveaway (if you provided your information on the previous page)' date=' which will occur by July 31,2012. *Please see details below.

Thank you for being part of the Control4 family.

*Limit one entry per Control4 customer residence. Incomplete entries are void. All entries become the property of Control4 and will not be acknowledged or returned. This offer has no cash value and supplemental products are not available for return or exchange except under a valid RMA warranty claim. You must complete the survey by July 15, 2012 in order to be entered into the drawing. Grand Prize random drawing will take place by July 31, 2012 and the winner will be contacted via email or telephone. All decisions are final and binding. By entering, participants release and hold harmless Control4, its subsidiaries, affiliates, agents, employees, directors and officers from any and all liability for any injuries, losses, claims, demands or damages of any kind arising from or in connection with the Grand Prize Giveaway or prize won or participation in the Grand Prize Giveaway. Control4 will work with your original dealer to install the products or will work with you to find a suitable alternate dealer. Control4 shall only pay up to the amount listed above in dealer service fees, and Control4 is not responsible for any services rendered by such dealer. You have the right to opt out of this drawing by not providing your information on the last page of the survey. Control4 reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.[/i']

Sure. But there was definitely an additional free offer to everyone who filled out the survey....

That is what we are trying to clarify here... :)

I've got a question into someone high in marketing, asking whether it was originally offered, then changed.

I'll see what she says. Of course, quarter to 5 on a weekend before a holiday week, I don't know when she'll respond.

Thanks.

RyanE

Just to play devil's advocate: nobody can dispute that anyone has proof of an offer, either.

And there's practially *NO CHANCE* that it was a MyHome Site License offer, although I could see individual licenses as an incentive, since they'd lead to people seeing the value of the license and possibly upgrading to a Site license.

I'll see what marketing says, and go from there.

RyanE

Archived