C4 Forums | Control4

New C4 Users Facebook

^ To quote the above post.."I'm doing this because I can remain anonymous".....What are you talking about?

There is *no* conspiracy here.

I'm doing this because I am passionate about the Control4 product: I'm an enthusiast. It's because I'd like to see it out there being used and discussed with a totally new (and younger generation). Not to mention not even being "know" about by 50% of the population (the fairer sex). Because I'm a self proclaimed geek. And that's what geeks like doing...chatting about their hobbies in a quick and short format. Sharing their pictures and movies about their geeky toys straight off their iphone. Following their nerdy friends on their ipad whilst sitting all alone in the mall (while their daughters and spouses) go off and spend all their money. I mean why should they have all the fun. I'm doing this because facebook is a hoot. It's fun. It's easy to use. And it runs real well on my other geeky toys. It's a simple as that.

See everyone else has to use their real name, unless they are a business or organization. That is my biggest problem with Facebook. Real names. Places was rather scary because people could track you online.

http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-the-Potential-Risks-of-Geotagging

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17311702

So you post your new home theater online and next week it is stolen. Hmm, it could be Facebook. Technology is cool, but as soon as you let your guard down. Then someone will take it away from you.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry wap, just don't see the benefit. I don't need to be anonymous like Nitro_X does... However, there just doesn't seem to be any good features that standard message boards have.

No search

No file repository

Tons of ads

Same ability for page to be spammed

Just appears to be a huge step backwards, IMO. I would have probably set up a group on facebook instead... A page just doesn't cut it.

All very valid points

PM sent. :)

Like your red stapler... Would hate to post pictures of it on facebook, and then have it stolen.

Your the one that has the red stapler problem. Not Me! You have posted the real name issue as well. What might seem harmless can be used against you. I have no problem with vbulletin website, but I do have issues with posting my location to the world. Here is another one ... http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Facebook-Identity-theft-Scam-97974634.html http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8675934

Oh, here is the burglary with facebook. http://www.kgw.com/news/Stolen-170545496.html Oh, just type in the crime and facebook. Seems to be the in thing.

Look. :)

It's impossible to keep everyone happy. OK?

Sure. Pages vs Groups. Which way to go?..Security?.. If I've stuffed up?... I'm sorry.. only time will tell

It's just a facebook. It's not supposed to *compete* against C4forums

But at least I got off my *&(*&se and tried to do something about things around here..

It's not like (there is that word again) C4forums or anybody else for that matter hasn't had years to get a facebook for users up and running..

If spam becomes an issue, then I'll suggest to all C4 Users, that we just pick up and move to a group.. I've also set pretty tight Country restrictions. And I've reserved the name C4 Users in a group as well just in case we all have to get up and move..;)

We would all be collected together by then... The legit guys anyway, and hopefully some new young blood with wallet's burning to spend on new products and dealer services. And more coming here. Sure.. If all previous posts on C4 Users page are lost with a move to a group.. so what? The goal of facebook is the here and now. Instant communication and "likes". Fun and keeping in contact all the time.. It's not supposed to be all serious and market driven etc etc..

Keeping track of posting and thread history is a dogs breakfast on facebook anyway. That's what this site is for. And for the excellent and detailed help: with a documented record, and as "PST" points out - search..

C4 Users is not intended to compete with C4 forums

We can analyse till the cows come home about this or that.. Whether or not I should have started C4 Users... In the meantime people just continue to ignore us here... Including the company.

If that's what you want, or if you are worried about whether or not your 50Million dollar yacht will be located and stolen, or being burgled because of facebook.. then don't post! And yes Nitro..just get a new facebook ID as "Nitro Charger" or whatever..with one of your fake emails if that is what you want.. Nothing is stopping you from doing anything...

You know what? I don't care anymore.

I just want people to be happy on this site and for all the bickering to stop. To be able to post without fear, or prejudice, or bullying or being looked down upon..

I just want to have a bit of fun again.

At the end of the day, life is just too short to die wondering "if only"..

I don't even know why I'm telling you all this.

I guess it's for the record. Because I genuinely want the best for the product, this forum and it's members. And to document it all, so to set the record straight: if all this blows up in my face..

Anyway.

So be it.

Don't take life so seriously guys. :):)

Wap.

Like your red stapler... Would hate to post pictures of it on facebook' date=' and then have it stolen.[/quote']

Your the one that has the red stapler problem. Not Me! You have posted the real name issue as well. What might seem harmless can be used against you. I have no problem with vbulletin website, but I do have issues with posting my location to the world. Here is another one ... http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Facebook-Identity-theft-Scam-97974634.html http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/local&id=8675934

Oh, here is the burglary with facebook. http://www.kgw.com/news/Stolen-170545496.html Oh, just type in the crime and facebook. Seems to be the in thing.

This is why I like the fact that I don't have a face to put with a a real name...

milton1.jpg

Please don't steal my red stapler, don't join facebook, or they will steal my red stapler.

There is a group name set up all ready to go.

It's just not opened up to the public yet.

I couldn't do it by invitation first because I didn't know

1/who was interested

2/ the facbook id's to invite

3/ Whether or not it would piss off C4forums and you guys doing this.. (which I definitely do *not* want to do) :)

OK?

C4forums/Cytexone could have set up a facebook group for us years ago. They have been collecting"likes" for us for well over 12 months now and done zero about it..

Quite frankly this is typical.

They never do anything constructive to improve this forum or site for the members and users

It still looks and operates like it is from the 1980's..

No doubt it is all full of ageing old men like me with an axe to grind

Ugly, rude and bullying statements are made all the time and never moderated..

Spam just continues on and on...

There is no group buy offers, not polls, no feedback to Control4, no iphone app, no nothing..

We have been requesting several improvements for ages now..and nothing is ever done

Other than Ryan, Nobody from Control4 really comes on to help out here. They give the impression they couldn't give a rats about us.. yet we spend all the dollars and it's *we* who have the buying power..

Heck..there are way more positive remarks over on their very own facebook..

At least by doing what I have done, CytexOne might swing into action and change stuff around here

It might wake them up from their slumber..

We can all sit around here chatting to ourselves going nowhere for as long as you like for all I care..

Until we all drop dead with boredom. The same stayed old C4forums group..

Or we can all move into the 22nd century..

At least I am having a go and a bit of fun..

It is as simple as that... :)

I beg to differ. 'The Web' wasn't around until early 1990's. If this looked or operated like something from the 1980's, it would be a BBS over dialup, maybe a fancy new Gopher interface.

:)

RyanE

Patrick. Ryan. Look if people are pissed off with what I have done... so be it..

It was likely to happen eventually..

At least I'm a dedicated Control4 customer, with the gear actually in my house, all paid for, no torrented software, a great dealer for support and a fairly good reputation around here...

Well maybe I'm delusional on that..

Let's say I think my reputation is OK.. :rolleyes:

Maybe not now.. :lol:

But it's hard to drive change

Someone was going to open up a facebook. Someday....

I guess I stuck my hand up first to be the fall guy :)

I beg to differ. 'The Web' wasn't around until early 1990's. If this looked or operated like something from the 1980's' date=' it would be a BBS over dialup, maybe a fancy new Gopher interface.

:)

RyanE[/quote']

1982 tcp/ip was standardized, tcp/ip access grew majorly in 1986. The first ISP emerged in mid to late 80's. AOL was founded, as AOL, in 1990...

Sorry Alex...I bounced out. I'm not a freak about privacy or anything, but I have to think that "IHateC4" published those photos from my Facebook after finding me in your "group".

It isn't a big deal or anything, but if being in the group allows my facebook to be routinely accessed by nutjobs like him, I'd rather avoid it (same reason I don't really post here anymore...too much BS).

Keep up the efforts.

C4 Users is now in "unpublished" mode.

I still have everybody's facebook contacts there, so all interested parties in this facebook endeavour can move to a secure Facebook group later if users so wish.

But as of now, in effect the C4 Users facebook page has gone offline

If what happened an hour or so back was a result of this facebook page, then this is simply unacceptable, could not be tolerated, and though I had no control over it, I will never condone such things

I apologise for any inconvenience or stress that this may have caused.

Call me naive. Criticise me. Fine.

Whatever

I was simply having a go.

As a consequence of what I think I witnessed, I expect the registered member of this forum who did this to be banned from this forum

PM me if you want clarification

Wap

If that's what you want, or if you are worried about whether or not your 50Million dollar yacht will be located and stolen, or being burgled because of facebook.. then don't post! And yes Nitro..just get a new facebook ID as "Nitro Charger" or whatever..with one of your fake emails if that is what you want.. Nothing is stopping you from doing anything...

I have an account there, but not as my real name or Nitro. I never post with it though.

Like your red stapler... Would hate to post pictures of it on facebook' date=' and then have it stolen.[/quote']

This is why I like the fact that I don't have a face to put with a a real name...

http://www.luminomagazine.com/2004.03/spotlight/officespace/images/milton/milton1.jpg

Please don't steal my red stapler, don't join Facebook, or they will steal my red stapler.

Your a bit scary in real life pstuart. I have a Facebook account setup there, and had it for years. Just no interest in Facebook. I have a google plus that is about the same as Facebook.

Not sure the answer! Forums get boring too.

I've taken the C4 User page offline

It's disappointing but so be it

As I said, we can still move forward in a more secure formal facebook group, if all those who wish to do so want to take this further

You all have my contact email now.

So please re-contact me that way.

I'll collect the names of people who are still interested and if so, I will relaunch as a formal facebook group. Invite only.

My apologies to all concerned, but what other choice is there?

Wap

I ran a bbs in the 80s on an apple II gs, believe it or not... Part of fidonet... Still trying to get that box back from the FBI, probably stuck behind that arc of the covenant they lost... :)

Same here phone line(s) busy 99.99% of the time 24/7. Lost my Tandy 1000A in a similar manner although it wasn't FBI but probably ended up there. Good thing I learned my lessons while I was underage. Full Height 5.25" external HDD RLL 100 MB!.... Back when a full installation of software was 1-3MB. Remember when HSLINK came out and you could upload while downloading which was previously unheard of? 1200 baud then 2400 baud for a while then @ $899.00 (back in 1987) USRobotics HST Dual Standard 9600 Baud was the holy grail.

Archived