C4 Forums | Control4

Driver News: Recluse AV - JRiver Media Center

alanchow

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd never say XBMC or Plex are *excellent*. Every time I've tried either of them, it's been an exercise in frustration.

Thus why dealers would want to avoid them (and JRiver and anything else that isn't "pre-packaged").

RyanE

Ryan have you played with Jriver? It's as easy and stable as ITunes and runs considerably faster

Ryan hit the nail on the head. I'm not interested in a science experiment for my clients. I don't have time to deal with motherboard issues or bad power supplies and neither do they.

I'm really glad you guys got it working... thats a great hobby to have. If you're trying to make a living and put food on the table selling media servers you avoid products like JRiver.

Ryan hit the nail on the head. I'm not interested in a science experiment for my clients. I don't have time to deal with motherboard issues or bad power supplies and neither do they.

I'm really glad you guys got it working... thats a great hobby to have. If you're trying to make a living and put food on the table selling media servers you avoid products like JRiver.

Really? Then why are you selling Control4? Reading these boards you get the feeling its a science project...

If you couldn't get something as easy as this installed I'd have to question your ability to install a much more complicated automation system...

I'd never say XBMC or Plex are *excellent*. Every time I've tried either of them, it's been an exercise in frustration.

Thus why dealers would want to avoid them (and JRiver and anything else that isn't "pre-packaged").

RyanE

That's what floors me about this whole situation. Why wouldn't Control4 see this obvious Gap as a huge opportunity and simply revamp their own software or partner with someone ready to run out of the gates? It's 70-80% there already but will need more processing power. Why not give us some quad core monster HC1500 and be done with it? Who cares about a little extra power when our other option is running a full blown HTPC or multiple media players? From a customers perspective Control4 appears to be slowly fading into irrelevance. You can't rely on 3rd parties to cobble together bit piece solutions for you and expect to remain a leader in any field.

^ Absolutely 100% agree.

Seth.

Did you read my previous posts?

Where is Control4- the company in all this?

Nobody expects dealers to be out of pocket in driver development.

Why isn't the company doing more with media library management?

As I keep saying. It should be one of the core Control4 experiences.

It should be at the center of the entire C4 platform.

The *company* should be throwing millions of R&D at this. Not a couple of thousand out of pocket, ad hoc spend by a few dealers...

Yeh we all welcome the dealers efforts. But it now needs to go beyond that.

Control4 cares about JRiver about as much as I care about JRiver.. maybe even less.

Seriously.. you dont know how big of a joke this has become.. perhaps it went over your head with the OP's post. JRiver is a joke. A product for hobbyists to tout how much they can do with an old broken down windows machine. I could care less if anyone ever wrote a driver for it... even Control4 (which they wont because why bother writing for buggy software they have to indirectly support?) because again... its a hobbyists' product and I won't be selling it.. neither will the other thousands of dealers. We've all done this before. JRiver isn't the first "best MC evar" we've heard of. We have real products to sell and integrate with..

Why don't you go to JRiver's forum and complain about lack of integration with Control4? Maybe JRiver will INVEST IN THEIR OWN PRODUCT and write a driver for Control4 dealers to use. See how that works????

Stop insisting Control4 and developers spend money on your hobbies.

I'm guessing they have a relatively small staff on the r&d side and the leadership within C4 are old and a bit out of touch with where things are going.

Compare dev at C4 to that of Crestron, AMX, and Savant and you quickly see how far behind C4 is. The new controllers are nice as are the touchscreens but they aren't groundbreaking or anything I'd write home about. Honestly C4 is a good take over candidate decent customer base with huge potential under the right leadership.

Control4 cares about JRiver about as much as I care about JRiver.. maybe even less.

Seriously.. you dont know how big of a joke this has become.. perhaps it went over your head with the OP's post. JRiver is a joke. A product for hobbyists to tout how much they can do with an old broken down windows machine. I could care less if anyone ever wrote a driver for it... even Control4 (which they wont because why bother writing for buggy software they have to indirectly support?) because again... its a hobbyists' product and I won't be selling it.. neither will the other thousands of dealers. We've all done this before. JRiver isn't the first "best MC evar" we've heard of. We have real products to sell and integrate with..

Why don't you go to JRiver's forum and complain about lack of integration with Control4? Maybe JRiver will INVEST IN THEIR OWN PRODUCT and write a driver for Control4 dealers to use. See how that works????

Stop insisting Control4 and developers spend money on your hobbies.

Hahah, but you'll install dune and popcorn hour players which are Hobby Players? You seriously area a joke.

Yeh. It's a hobby. Nobody denies that.

Such a shame. And isn't it interesting how in the history of tech and software development how so many endeavors start off as hobbies...?

Anyway. It's such a pity the very own C4 media library could be so much more...

No-one ever listens to end users here..so I'm wasting my time...

BTW, Control4 *is* under different leadership, and I personally think it has made a difference.

Now, those changes take time, and Control4 (and I) are not announcing anything, but I agree, there are things that need attention.

Those things, IMHO, are getting attention, although it takes time.

RyanE

Yeh. It's a hobby. Nobody denies that.

Such a shame. And isn't it interesting how in the history of tech and software development how so many endeavors start off as hobbies...?

Anyway. It's such a pity the very own C4 media library could be so much more...

No-one ever listens to end users here..so I'm wasting my time...

That's because we are just hobbyists and don't have a clue how anything real in life works or how to make money or feed our families.

Seth I'm glad you weren't Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Ronald Wayne, or Steve Wozniak. Silly hobbyists...

BTW, Control4 *is* under different leadership, and I personally think it has made a difference.

Now, those changes take time, and Control4 (and I) are not announcing anything, but I agree, there are things that need attention.

RyanE

I know about the change in leadership. But your assessment is good to hear, I hope your right, and I look forward to seeing new products or updates hitting the street.

Does Crestron, Savant, or AMX have a JRiver driver or module?

If JRiver were a serious company they would write these drivers themselves.. Crestron is a billion dollar company.. There's no reason for JRiver to ignore that..

You guys are placing the onus on the wrong party. Go to JRiver's forums and start barking up that tree.

RyanE

:)

Make a poll on 3rd party hardware thread and get 20 people to agree to buy it at $50 and I'll make it (or 10 at 100). I've got it built into an option of our new media player but a stand alone driver would work much differently for "play this file" which is what you are needing. I have a 3 year old and a 1 month old so only so much time for projects but I intended to make it at some point but the economics are pushing back the timing.

Make a poll on 3rd party hardware thread and get 20 people to agree to buy it at $50 and I'll make it (or 10 at 100). I've got it built into an option of our new media player but a stand alone driver would work much differently for "play this file" which is what you are needing. I have a 3 year old and a 1 month old so only so much time for projects but I intended to make it at some point but the economics are pushing back the timing.

I'm waiting to see your new offering... Any news on ata least a teaser video or specs?

I'm biased and have about 17 months in it (that I can never recoup based on estimated sales) but I was telling my wife yesterday (who works in the company) that I honestly think its the best production medi player on planet earth. I can't wait to show it off. Its done except for minor driver tinkering which I hope to finish this week/weekend and have some videos. I have to do a series of videos to show the various features in depth so its not an hour long. Its one of the most impressive things I've been involved in making I think (and my former paintball company was like the Ferrari/Bugatti of paintball guns http://www.pbreview.com/products/man/45/page1/sort7/view1/layout2/rman/rcat/ ). Unfortunately it started as a $1300 player and got pushed up by adding more and more stuff in which was really needed (in my opinion) so initial tempoary sale price for forum members will probably be $1750 with coupon but $1999.99 thereafter. Its got about $450 in software licensing (excluding hardware). The default config doesn't have J River but I'll have a J River version for the guys that want that option for the extra licsensing J River charges ($50).

Archived