C4 Forums | Control4

Driver News: Recluse AV - JRiver Media Center

alanchow

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully now you understand why NO dealer on the dealer forums or any other professional forums knows or has even bothered asking about JRiver. Its not because we're behind the curve or don't recognize an opportunity. Its because we already know what type of product JRiver is, what it needs to be, and what it certainly is not. Been there, got that t-shirt.

So care to guess when JRiver started? 1998, this was the year of their first release...

I understand you point, and don't disagree with you necessarily. BUT if you hadn't heard of JRiver or understand that as an audio player its superior to nearly all other offerings from competitors then you absolutely are behind the curve. Again though this does not in any way surprise me as the CI guys I've talked to "typically" know very little about the real high end audio/video side of things. As an example I've had conversations with C4 dealers who when discussing projectors had to ask who Christie and Barco are... Seriously? When referencing Aerial Acoustics or Danley Sound Labs again I get blank faces, or "well but look at these pretty B&W Diamonds".

hah.. yeah.. most guys who start in the CI business have never heard of those brands.. partly because they arent sold in the same market. I used Barco and Christie heavily in a previous life but never touched Sim2 or Runco... High end doesn't mean anything if its the high end of a completely different market segment.

High end Maybach or high end E-One Firetruck.. both are technically "vehicles" and could cost (roughly) the same amount but in the consumer market you're only likely to run across buying one of them... ;)

Wap -- Control4 isn't going to pay money for a bad investment. Why bother. Selling their automation system has their own risk built in.. why add another risk in by supporting a potentially dangerous product. No business in their right mind would do this. Keep dreamin' buddy! :)

Seth : So Control4's *own* media library platform is somehow a good investment?

Like using *that* is somehow a more stable, better and more wonderful experience?

Seth it's about showing an interest in a movie/music library solution. ANY interest would make me happy.

But more importantly an interest that takes on Apple.

Which JRiver is about to do.

Don't you see guys. It's got nothing specifically to do about JRiver as "JRiver the

media player" It's got everything to do with support of JRiver the "iTunes/Apple competitor."

Control4 should be supporting *every* media library platform out there. XBMC, JRiver, MYmovies, PLex, and WMC. The lot. Even iTunes! They should be actively giving money to ensure each and every one remains as stable as possible within the Control4 platform. You, DD, Recluse, EV...should all be having hundreds of thousands thrown at you every year...

Because inbuilt software driver support is the key to Control4's future success.

They should be throwing money and supporting *every* one. One or maybe two will survive. Or be powered into Linux. Or wind up embedded on a stable player, or even in TV sets. Or wind up supporting DRM. Because in the media content distribution space Control4 competes directly with Apple. And what's their alternative? The C4 media library? That gone absolutely knowhere in recent years....

What is Control4 going to do when the Apple "TV" comes out, then Apple HA? Sit back and ignore that?

Because in the media content distribution space Control4 competes directly with Apple.

How do you figure that? I have never seen Control4 offer media for sale.

...it's all about when a user picks up a remote to watch or listen to content.

They either pick up an SR250 or tablet or whatever and move into the Control4 GUI "environment "

Or they pick up an Apple remote, or iPhone and stay within the Apple environment.

Each time the user is thinking...I'm with Apple here...

Now Control4 should be doing Anything. ANYTHING, to make sure the end user is thinking all the time I'm using Control4 here....

That's what I'm talking about. For without that association in the customers mind, the game is lost...

That's why they need a Control4 lab. With millions spent on putting every media player and every driver from Seth, EV, Recluse, DD, whoever: all thrown into "the soup"

To make it all come together.

So that everytime an end user picks up an SR250: even when someone has NEVER done it. A child. A monkey even LOL! That everytime they do this the user is thinking "I'm using Control4 here"...and more importantly, they STAY within the Control4 environment.

Hopefully now you understand why NO dealer on the dealer forums or any other professional forums knows or has even bothered asking about JRiver. Its not because we're behind the curve or don't recognize an opportunity. Its because we already know what type of product JRiver is' date=' what it needs to be, and what it certainly is not. Been there, got that t-shirt.[/quote']

So care to guess when JRiver started? 1998, this was the year of their first release...

I understand you point, and don't disagree with you necessarily. BUT if you hadn't heard of JRiver or understand that as an audio player its superior to nearly all other offerings from competitors then you absolutely are behind the curve. Again though this does not in any way surprise me as the CI guys I've talked to "typically" know very little about the real high end audio/video side of things. As an example I've had conversations with C4 dealers who when discussing projectors had to ask who Christie and Barco are... Seriously? When referencing Aerial Acoustics or Danley Sound Labs again I get blank faces, or "well but look at these pretty B&W Diamonds".

hah.. yeah.. most guys who start in the CI business have never heard of those brands.. partly because they arent sold in the same market. I used Barco and Christie heavily in a previous life but never touched Sim2 or Runco... High end doesn't mean anything if its the high end of a completely different market segment.

High end Maybach or high end E-One Firetruck.. both are technically "vehicles" and could cost (roughly) the same amount but in the consumer market you're only likely to run across buying one of them... ;)

Wap -- Control4 isn't going to pay money for a bad investment. Why bother. Selling their automation system has their own risk built in.. why add another risk in by supporting a potentially dangerous product. No business in their right mind would do this. Keep dreamin' buddy! :)

I have Christie and Danley in my home theater, and I know plenty of others who use both of these residentially. If you want a real cinema experience in your home use cinema equipment. I know Danley isn't heavy into cinema but its hard to beat the sheer output of a Danley sub unless you look at a JTR Orbit Shifter.

Oh and one of Sim2's best projectors is a Christie that they tweaked.

This is rather disappointing to hear that control4 doesn't support sacd, dsd, high definition flac audio files from HDtracks. I am in the process of looking at home automation for my home, but without those file formats then I will take my business elsewhere.

This is rather disappointing to hear that control4 doesn't support sacd, dsd, high definition flac audio files from HDtracks. I am in the process of looking at home automation for my home, but without those file formats then I will take my business elsewhere.

hmm.. say something else

He's back... Hi viper! How does control4 not support these? Just because it can't control jriver, doesn't mean it doesn't allow some other device to send audio to the amp and control volume.

All those formats will ultimately play into a control4 managed system of whole home audio just fine. You will simply need to control the playback, externally.

Or, since jriver supports consumer IR windows media remote control, just use the IR driver for WMC... Control it within control4.

He's back... Hi viper! How does control4 not support these? Just because it can't control jriver, doesn't mean it doesn't allow some other device to send audio to the amp and control volume.

All those formats will ultimately play into a control4 managed system of whole home audio just fine. You will simply need to control the playback, externally.

Or, since jriver supports consumer IR windows media remote control, just use the IR driver for WMC... Control it within control4.

Who is back?

Seems like a hassle. A friend has the control4 system. He has been disappointed with sound quality as compared to my system.

This is rather disappointing to hear that control4 doesn't support sacd' date=' dsd, high definition flac audio files from HDtracks. I am in the process of looking at home automation for my home, but without those file formats then I will take my business elsewhere.[/quote']

hmm.. say something else

?..

Hog wash! Jriver is junk and no one wants it, I mean that's what the really smart dealers tell us and its their job to know whats going on in the world of audio and video.

C4 needs to open up Composer Pro to those who want to write drivers and apps so they can install and test them then offer them for sale... Its a crazy concept I know!

Who needs to be confused with a modern graphical interface when you can do it all with your trusty SR-250? Sheesh... Control4's rolling out 8 Track and VHS drivers in the next couple of years so hang tight boys! LMAO

^+1

Ooooo, I'll have to break out my 8 Tracks from the basement. I knew them would come back in vogue sooner or later!

It's not all that hard... If you want to use JRiver's pretty GUI, you can still use the SR-250 to drive it.

Key press drivers aren't all that complicated. It only gets slightly more difficult if you add on media management within Control4, so that your JRiver media is combined with your disc changer media, etc.

RyanE

I've been looking for side projects to occupy my down time and would really like to work on driver/app development. Jriver would be a good place to start and I was just include on a beta API testing for one of the new t-stats a lot of folks have been discussing.

The problem is it doesn't look like C4 has any means for such development outside of their manufacturing partners and dealer network. Hard to do any development with out the ability to test and trouble shoot drivers and apps on your system.

I can find the same sort of complaints for everything from windows OS to composer he...

I've been running Jriver for several years on everything from a stock bottom of the barrel dell laptop to a top of the line Asus laptop. I've yet to have a single bosd or any other issue. Simply because you have a poorly maintained computer doesn't mean the product is bad. This isn't alpha or beta software and it has been running on thousands of people computers for years...

Lets compare Jriver to xbmc or plex which are seriously unstable and have a large number of updates/builds yet their touted on these boards as excellent products with drivers available.

You guys crack me up

Archived