C4 Forums | Control4

Snap A/V Product Question

ILoveC4

Has anyone used the new Snap A/V DVR's and cameras that are compatible with Control4? If so, how are they? Is the picture quality and integration good? Does it integrate to the level of where you can have it snap a picture and send an email based on an event?

How about their projector screens? They call them DragonFly? How are they? How about the Acoustically Transparent ones? I'm nervous that with the acoustically transparent ones that you will be able to see the perforation when there are large "white" sections in a movie.

How about their power products? The Wattbox, etc...

I appreciate any feedback anyone can provide. I have limited experience with their stuff, but have a bunch of gear I need to buy as the basement gets closer to completion.

Thanks in advance.

Same. Screens are no better or worse than other mainstream solutions.

DVRs work fantastic (don't use the cams, nothing against them but I get better for less locally).

Other equipment used sporadically, but is hit and miss. Amps, never again, converters (vga hdmi, dac, any other I've used) work perfectly well.

So I'm not likely to have any issues with the acoustically transparent screen of theirs? I saw a cheap one once where the weave was so noticeable, I've been nervous about them ever since.

I'm thinking I'll use they're AT screen and episode 700 or 900 speakers for the theater.

So I'm not likely to have any issues with the acoustically transparent screen of theirs? I saw a cheap one once where the weave was so noticeable, I've been nervous about them ever since.

I'm thinking I'll use they're AT screen and episode 700 or 900 speakers for the theater.

just be sure to use 14 or 12 gauge spkr wire and a receiver with some power

So I'm not likely to have any issues with the acoustically transparent screen of theirs? I saw a cheap one once where the weave was so noticeable' date=' I've been nervous about them ever since.

I'm thinking I'll use they're AT screen and episode 700 or 900 speakers for the theater.[/quote']

just be sure to use 14 or 12 gauge spkr wire and a receiver with some power

Yea, these speakers are somewhat inefficient compared to other speakers in the same class/price point like the Triad Silver LCR.

Again they are no worse than mainstream brands such as Grandview.

Noticablility of weaves, well that's as much dependant to you as the screen.

I've installed many of them (in general and a good number of snaps by now) after showing them up and running to clients who love the clean no speaker look, and don't mind or even notice the difference with a comparable non-perf (oh fine call them acoustically transparant) screen. Comparable meaning a little cheaper than the perf but a step up from what would be considered the non-perf equivalent "class" of screen.

Personally I hate them and would never use them for myself as I to date have not found a screen where I do NOT notice the weave - and get annoyed by it. I'll put my money in some cleaner looking (and better sounding) speakers anyday over putting it in an accoustic screen.

So I'm not likely to have any issues with the acoustically transparent screen of theirs? I saw a cheap one once where the weave was so noticeable' date=' I've been nervous about them ever since.

I'm thinking I'll use they're AT screen and episode 700 or 900 speakers for the theater.[/quote']

Again they are no worse than mainstream brands such as Grandview.

Noticablility of weaves, well that's as much dependant to you as the screen.

I've installed many of them (in general and a good number of snaps by now) after showing them up and running to clients who love the clean no speaker look, and don't mind or even notice the difference with a comparable non-perf (oh fine call them acoustically transparant) screen. Comparable meaning a little cheaper than the perf but a step up from what would be considered the non-perf equivalent "class" of screen.

Personally I hate them and would never use them for myself as I to date have not found a screen where I do NOT notice the weave - and get annoyed by it. I'll put my money in some cleaner looking (and better sounding) speakers anyday over putting it in an accoustic screen.

You notice the microperfs at a commercial theater or on an IMAX screen? Seriously?

There are two distinctly different types of AT screens, weave vs microperfs. Most people can notice the weave even on higher end screens, though less so the better the weave. I've yet to meet someone who can notice the microperfs.

Ill take a Stewart or Seymour Microperf with even decent speakers over a non AT at screen. Staging will be considerably better with speakers behind the screen vs underneath and to the side.

I have 6 of the 700 series dome cameras and the 16 ch DVR.

Dvr integration VERY easy with C4 - can also view remote with iOS. Picture is acceptable.

700 Series snap AV cameras are decent - they are not quite as good as the Speco cameras I have (2 total - don't recall the model right now but they were 2x the 700 COST)

On the same DVR I have some low budget entry level Lorex cameras as well. I can tell the difference from the 3 types, but quality will depend on many factors. I have mine set up for widest field of view for the most part.

If you want facial detail then you might need to go with a more expensive alternative. I would choose the 700 series for the bulk of the work but may consider a camera with better detail for the main points of entry. I use the better cameras for the front gate and the other for the pool.

I had my dealer/friend do all the wiring for the cameras on the first install and only had 4 cameras at first. I then added cameras step wise. If you are not happy with the quality move the cameras to a less important site and upgrade camera quality accordingly.

Also if you are using for security - consider a few cameras facing your house as well - mine are mounted on trees.

Dan, I would hold off on buying Snap A/V's speakers and spend a good amount of time in the AVS forum on dedicated theater building. It is a wealth of information and ideas and expertise that will not be found here.

I have an AT screen and I love it, has great image quality and the sound direction is optimal. If you or anyone is interested, I have a set of four in-ceiling speakers that are Tru-Audio Bad Boy series, super high end stuff, that I would be willing to part with for a very reasonable price.

You notice the microperfs at a commercial theater or on an IMAX screen? Seriously?

There are two distinctly different types of AT screens, weave vs microperfs. Most people can notice the weave even on higher end screens, though less so the better the weave. I've yet to meet someone who can notice the microperfs.

Ill take a Stewart or Seymour Microperf with even decent speakers over a non AT at screen. Staging will be considerably better with speakers behind the screen vs underneath and to the side.

Seriously? Imax or commercial grade screen? Some but not the better ones. At least not from seating.

But we arent talking about commercial grade screens now are we.

And staging depends no only on position but speaker quality and receiver quality too. As well as proper set-up. Heck if staging is such an issue you shouldn't even be doing anything inwall to begin with.

I went with their 126" acoustically transparent screen and Episode 700 speakers. They had a special where I got basically half off cost, so the stuff was priced too good to pass up. I did the Dual 5 1/4 inch with tweet for the left, center and right. Then for all the surrounds I did the 6.5" in wall.

I'm stoked to see how it sounds and looks.

Just remember that a good theater is probably only 5% related to the equipment. The important stuff is the overall layout and architecture, acoustics, sound isolation, seating choices, paint colors, etc.

For one small example, just as a snippet of the long list of things to do, to prevent light shining through through an AT screen you should paint the wall flat black behind the screen. I also acoustically treated the wall behind the screen to prevent unwanted echo from the back channel speakers. You should start a new thread on your theater, it would be fun to follow along and see how it turns out. Have fun!

Yes, that book is good but has it been updated? It is a little dated, when I bought a couple years ago I was promised the new version for free. I didn't even know about the new website, of course I kept emailing asking about updates and finally gave up/forgot after being told numerous times not yet.

Just remember that a good theater is probably only 5% related to the equipment. The important stuff is the overall layout and architecture, acoustics, sound isolation, seating choices, paint colors, etc.

For one small example, just as a snippet of the long list of things to do, to prevent light shining through through an AT screen you should paint the wall flat black behind the screen. I also acoustically treated the wall behind the screen to prevent unwanted echo from the back channel speakers. You should start a new thread on your theater, it would be fun to follow along and see how it turns out. Have fun!

Yeah, I realize that. I've gone to great lengths on those other things. The walls are specially built. The ceiling has RC Channel. The walls have sound board, special glue and 1/2 drywall. The door is an exterior grade door. I have treatments for the walls.

I just hadn't selected these items yet.

I would start a thread on it if I had a little bit of time. They're about to hang drywall in a week or two. Maybe I'll snap some pictures before the insulation goes in, and then have a thread to follow the build out from there forward.

It's going to be a really cool room. Perfectly placed in the house where there are no windows or anything. We're really excited for it.

Archived