C4 Forums | Control4

ATV 1/XBMC and C4 remote issue

Nehsmit

Hi all,

I had the ATV 2 setup and it worked great. The remote was appropriate.

I had James from DD setup my ATV1 this weekend with the EV driver and the SR250 works fine for most things BUT when I go into XBMC, the remote commands are all messed up. The up arrow actually makes the cursor go down. The right arrow is up. The left arrow.... You get the point. When I exit XBMC and go back to regular ATV, it works fine again.

Any thoughts on how to fix this or why its happening?

Thanks in advance.

Why? Because you're side installing an application on a device. As the EV driver is ip based there's no guarantee this remains working if you do something like this.

How to fix it? Most likely, short of losing xmbc, there probably isn't much to do about it. I doubt the driver will be edited to match that specific need - but James or EV are better able to answer that one.

Why? Because you're side installing an application on a device. As the EV driver is ip based there's no guarantee this remains working if you do something like this.

Interesting. I originally had the ATV 1 setup with IR but now I have no IR connection, but rather IP address based.

Which is the whole point. While the IR codes would likely continue to work just fine however jailbroken or what ever the apple TV might get, IP commands are much more ingrainded into things - and the XMBC, not oficially supported, may be messing things up.

That said, what are you running on that ATV1? because as far as I know - and I'll not claim to be an expert on this - the XMBC doesn't run properly on ATV1 with the latest OS version - a linux based OS might be required - which is likly to mess up the IP driver even further.

Sorry for the noob question, but what do you mean what am I running on the ATV1? I dont quite understand.

Is it worth trying to go back to the IR driver to see if thats better? I had my ATV2 running IR, NOT IP based and that was working fine.

What iOS version - as I mentioned I remember reading about some issues running XMBC on ATV1 on nwere OS - possibly this is part of the issue.

What I'd try is see if the original remote for the ATV works fine in XMBC - if it does, at least you'll know for sure the IP is the problem - in which case you could revert back OR see if you can't combine both the IP driver (for normal use) and IR (for XMBC). If it still works wacky - it's something else and likely unrelated to C4 as such.

This would technically be possible by creating two devices in the system plus a virtual switch - of course CPRO is needed.

I'm confused. ExtraVegetables does not have a driver that controls the GUI of the ATV, DiamondDesign does. The DD driver only works with the ATV V2 running ATV Flash (Black). If your running the a V1 with James driver running ATV flash silver this is going to be the issue.

I'm confused. ExtraVegetables does not have a driver that controls the GUI of the ATV, DiamondDesign does. The DD driver only works with the ATV V2 running ATV Flash (Black). If your running the a V1 with James driver running ATV flash silver this is going to be the issue.

You may be correct and it may be the EV driver for controlling Itunes but I'd have to check with James to be sure.

An alternative is to remap xbmc's keymap.xml file. This will fix it without changing the driver however as it is all messed it you're on your own with finding the right combination of keys. More information can be found on xbmc.org

@cyknight---I checked the iOS version and its 3.0.2. I have the ATV1 setup with the EV driver. I checked the xbmc on it using the original Apple TV remote and it works perfect. So this means its a C4 issue right?

What next? Go to IR?

Thanks all.

As a test this morning I used HDMI output of an IR ATV driver to the itunes video input and the audio output of the ATV v1 OSD to itunes audio input. This should (hopefully) make itunes EV driver work with audio when you hit listen (look for itunes) and the xbmc/atv v1 combo should work when you hit watch via ir (look for Apple TV). This should work but let us know.

That should give you IP for audio (required for EV itunes) and IR for video (required for XBMC).

As a test this morning I used HDMI output of an IR ATV driver to the itunes video input and the audio output of the ATV v1 OSD to itunes audio input. This should (hopefully) make itunes EV driver work with audio when you hit listen (look for itunes) and the xbmc/atv v1 combo should work when you hit watch via ir (look for Apple TV). This should work but let us know.

That should give you IP for audio (required for EV itunes) and IR for video (required for XBMC).

Thanks James. Will give it a go when I get home and update everyone.

Why not just use the free XBMC driver for Control4 on the XBMC forums? Just have two separate 'devices' as far as Control 4 is controlled, the EV driver for "AppleTV" and the XBMC driver for XBMC on ATV? That will give you much more robust control of XBMC than just the simple commands afforded by the IR driver.

Why not just use the free XBMC driver for Control4 on the XBMC forums? Just have two separate 'devices' as far as Control 4 is controlled, the EV driver for "AppleTV" and the XBMC driver for XBMC on ATV? That will give you much more robust control of XBMC than just the simple commands afforded by the IR driver.

You can do this - or use the IR option, but you'd have to do a virtual switch to allow two hdmi connections to a single input.

Doable - but work-arounds are never better that trying to see if it's a solvable issue.

@cyknight---I checked the iOS version and its 3.0.2. I have the ATV1 setup with the EV driver. I checked the xbmc on it using the original Apple TV remote and it works perfect. So this means its a C4 issue right?

Thanks all.

Well no. It's still not entirely clear really.

Most likely it isnt a C4 issue - if anything it's an issue with the driver - wether by EV or DD. Likely the issue kies in the XMBC application not responding to otherwise correct coding (as the appletv is responding correctly to them).

Either way, at this point you're probably stuck with IR, or mine or James' suggestion. Unless someone is willing to change the XMBC - which is where I'm thinking the issue lies.

Why not just use the free XBMC driver for Control4 on the XBMC forums? Just have two separate 'devices' as far as Control 4 is controlled' date=' the EV driver for "AppleTV" and the XBMC driver for XBMC on ATV? That will give you much more robust control of XBMC than just the simple commands afforded by the IR driver.[/quote']

You can do this - or use the IR option, but you'd have to do a virtual switch to allow two hdmi connections to a single input.

Doable - but work-arounds are never better that trying to see if it's a solvable issue.

So I tried out the IR option and it doesn't work at all. The sr250 sends signals to the IR bud. The atv light recognizes

a command, but it does not respond. Nothing happens. I tried with the atv remote itself and all commands work fine. Why would the atv recognize commands with the sr250 but not respond?

Thanks all.

The TV led will blink no matter what ir code you send to it - and I can tell you that there is no difference in IR codes for ATV1 or later - at least I'm still using the same IR driver now that I created when the first ATV came out today on new ones. I'll check it to be sure b the way but will need to wait till later today.

Not sure of course what IR driver you are using - so can't say if it's perhaps a bad driver - perhaps it is not an accurate placement and it's not receiving the full code.

Archived