C4 Forums | Control4

Wireless from Ipad to Receiver

Hi all, hoping for some good suggestions on how best to output my ipad or iphone to the room's receiver. - or even better to both receiver and tv.

So here is the scenario:

My son/daughter are on the ipad in the lounge, they look up a music video on youtube, I choose source 'ipad' on the C4 remote and we have the room playing music (and video?) the ipad is playing.

Should I be looking at Apple TV ? - but can the ipad be used as a 'source' or type of remote??

Or are there wireless options which work? (Rack is through several walls about 20 mtrs from the room.)

Thanks

Airplay is the best option and its a technology available on numerous devices.

I have a few XBMC setups around my house and when i airplay to XBMC it will detect if it is music or video and Control4 will automatically turn on the receiver or the receiver and tv. Its a function i use on a daily basis.

Thanks Alan.

If I buy an Apple TV to do the job for me;

Is the 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen my best option

and what are the best ways to control it using C4.

-please note I only have an HC300 and already use all 6 IR outputs. - do either version of Apple TV work with IP control? - or should I just double up on one of my IR outputs?

Cheers.

Thanks Alan.

If I buy an Apple TV to do the job for me;

Is the 2nd Gen or 3rd Gen my best option

and what are the best ways to control it using C4.

-please note I only have an HC300 and already use all 6 IR outputs. - do either version of Apple TV work with IP control? - or should I just double up on one of my IR outputs?

Cheers.

If you use an IR driver you can "double up" the IR outputs with an IR cable that has two flashers on the end.

• 1 month later...
Is there an Apple tv driver that works on C4 version 1.7.4?

Where do I find it?

Cheers

Bruce the only IP driver than works with the Apple TV is the EV itunes one with Apple TV Vs 1 (the old flat white version with the internal HDD)

Apple broke IP control when they went to the pucks.. these can only be controlled via IR

As for airplay, I just tested this for you on my AppleTV Mk3.. but I get an error message when streaming youtube to it.. so it doesn't work. I have no idea why this is ?? licensing?? who knows.. just one of the typical frustrations...

But Alan is correct. His XBMC driver allows you to walk up and select the XBMC airplay stream right from within youtube. Even better if the device is switched off, the driver does auto powerup/select correct inputs, so you literally walk up to an off TV, select the youtube and up it comes streaming on the TV.. This is very cool.

Wap.

Thanks Wap.

Pity about the IP driver, but IR will do, though I will have to double up one of the IR's with my DVR or one of the receivers.

Had a play with the ATV3 driectly plugged into my main TV, took an age to play a song from my itunes account, no idea why, though don't use itunes for music often anyway.

Airplay was working fine from the Youtube app on an ipad, though the app seemed to fail to search a few times.

Fingers crossed it all runs smoothly when I hook it all up to the component matrix, recievers and C4's IR.

The XBMC driver sounds cool.

XBMC will be next on my list, I need more storage, so will look at using my old PC when time comes to upgrade it.

A few extra HDD's added in and a new video card should do the trick.

Apple TV seems to be a nice cheap sollution, perfect to give the kids the airplay ability from You Tube.

Are there many other apps/games that allow airplay on an IPad?

Question:

You say the XBMC driver detects what you are trying to do when you access AirPlay. Which will allow C4 to switch the room to the relevant equipment - TV/receiver etc..

Would it therefore be possible to install the XBMC driver with a 'dummy' media player.

Use the driver to recognize airplay is being used on the ipad, auto turn on the correct devices, then change the room source to apple TV?

???

Cheers.

Archived