C4 Forums | Control4

HDBASET over existing old HDMI!

Few, none done by us, but it's easier to use that old HDMI for this then to mess with cutting it open to use it for an IR and use the cat for video instead.

And no I do NOT wish I told or ran hdmi instead of Cat6 - there's plenty of reasons to minimize long HDMI runs - cost being one of them and probably the least important.

I think this will prove a very useful tool in the arsenal, at least for certain specific situations. Won't make Cedia myself this year but colleagues have their instructions to check this piece out already (and normally, frankly, they'd pass by Vanco otherwise).

Few, none done by us, but it's easier to use that old HDMI for this then to mess with cutting it open to use it for an IR and use the cat for video instead.

And no I do NOT wish I told or ran hdmi instead of Cat6 - there's plenty of reasons to minimize long HDMI runs - cost being one of them and probably the least important.

I think this will prove a very useful tool in the arsenal, at least for certain specific situations. Won't make Cedia myself this year but colleagues have their instructions to check this piece out already (and normally, frankly, they'd pass by Vanco otherwise).

I was being sarcastic since no one recommends it and now he invented a product for it.

Few' date=' none done by us, but it's easier to use that old HDMI for this then to mess with cutting it open to use it for an IR and use the cat for video instead.

[b']And no I do NOT wish I told or ran hdmi instead of Cat6 - there's plenty of reasons to minimize long HDMI runs - cost being one of them and probably the least important.

I was being sarcastic since no one recommends it and now he invented a product for it.

Yet as shown in the example

http://www.cepro.com/photos/genius_vanco_boost_converts_old_hdmi_cables_to_hdbaset/0

you can't plan for other peoples historic installations and regularly have to work with the cables you got, not the cables you want. MoCA is another standard that really only exists for the same reason.

You would be surprised. We have had atleast 10 take overs, started by MAGNOLIA that have had atleast 4 displays each with this issue. One was locally located receiver and sources with CAT5 back to the headend, but a 10 meter HDMI ran from there to the display. 3d and 4k was impossible.

Whoa, how is this changing into me saying this never happens - I'm not saying that at all. It doesn't happen often, and as said never by us, but it DOES happen and this thing could well be a lifesaver in those situations.

No worries! I got exactly what you were saying. Just wanted to share how those "people not in the know" Still do it and it has become a serious frustration with 4k gaining so much steam and the prices dropping. Its like that first battle with 1080p, can be a real headache.

Thanks for the insights. I am already looking into compatibility with HDMI 2.0 so the struggle continues.

Archived