C4 Forums | Control4

Discrete or low profile outdoor ip camera

me23

I've had nothing but bad experience involving neighbors and outdoor cams. Just my experience but think twice about what your goal is.

Such as???

Call me crazy, but if my neighbor doesn't like the fact that I have cameras, then I guess my neighbor has a problem. What happens on my property is my business.

Any reasonable neighbor should realize that a camera could also record things they would want documentation for on _their_ property.

and in Europe you need to register your CCTV with the local data protection registrar and be able to provide blocking of windows and other areas that could be considered private. You would also need protocols in place to provide the police and other interested parties with access to the images at reasonable notice and implement a data retention policy. If you are recording on your property then you should be sure the images from the cameras only capture what happens on your property.

http://www.surveillance-and-society.org/articles2(2)/regulation.pdf

http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-europe/2012/10/04/cctv-technology-has-overtaken-ability-to-regulate-it/

It is easy with most good DVR/Camera systems to setup "private zones" that the camera blacks out.

Clearly so they can comply with EU / Global requirements.

My post was more about the 'why should the neighbour care' part and highlighting that in other parts of the world the care part is considered part of law and regulation of installing CCTV.

I've had nothing but bad experience involving neighbors and outdoor cams. Just my experience but think twice about what your goal is.

Wait, you have cameras right or did at some point. Some Pannys if I remember correctly. Goal is simple, I don't trust people. I have a lot of teenage kids in my neighborhood and already were some vandalism in the lots behind my house that were being built. Plus I have 2 precious kids, one that gets off the bus and has to walk several hundered feet to our house. We go on vacation regularly.

Not to mention, I"M A GEEK!!!!!!! I mean come on, how can you have a home automation system and not have some outdoor cameras :)

Having said all that, I can see how it could cause some issues with neighbors, which is why I would like to be discrete if possible.

^Right, I wouldn't be without a cam or two somewhere critical. During construction there was a big nasty Axis heated dome up on a utility pole. I took crap from the neighbors about it too. Around here they steal the copper wiring right out the studs on new builds. Not mine. The real reason was to conduct video conferences during the build whilst in Asia working. I don't know how many prints I approved while viewing them through the zoomed 214. Unfortunate as it was, some had to be "redlined" on the fly...

Panny 735s now do the work here. I saw one neighbor, one random day, pointing to my cam from across the street and turn to the person next to him and start pounding his fist into his other hand. Great... Alternatively, I've had emails sent to me asking for clips of drunks pissing on their car. I either don't respond or if I do, tell them my cam only surveys my front yard- sorry.

Archived