C4 Forums | Control4

Setting dimmer to turn on at lower level at night

drmark12pa

I'm looking for an easy way to control a dimmer so that when it's turned on in the middle of the night it's at like 10-20% rather than ramping up all the way to 100% just so it's not blinding in the middle of the night. Is there an easy way to do this without the light going all the way to 100% and then back down via programming using a schedule?

We do something similar here, but rather than on a schedule, we have a button in the bed-room that we use to put the house to bed - lights off, etc. We reset the light using a schedule.

The *variable* to change on the light is PRESET_LEVEL. This is the level that "Turn On" ramps to. At night we use 15, during the day we use 100.

We do something similar here, but rather than on a schedule, we have a button in the bed-room that we use to put the house to bed - lights off, etc. We reset the light using a schedule.

The *variable* to change on the light is PRESET_LEVEL. This is the level that "Turn On" ramps to. At night we use 15, during the day we use 100.

Not being familiar or particularly sure about Variables, would it be possible for you to post a snapshot of the programming.

Thanks

P

prabeau, under the programming tab, in the top right corner under actions (I believe that's what it's called) find a dimmer and click the little + sign next to it.

You'll see those variables exposed there, and you can set them during programming.

Don't select the light, press the '+' symbol next to it, which should break out to device variables. Then pres the '+' next to that and PRESET_LEVEL will be in the list that breaks out from there.

This will show in bot Pro and HE (not ME as it doesn't allow programming).

Unfortunately on the left side of the screen under the dimmer, the commands are only "IF LIGHT LEVEL/LIGHT STATUS/ETC CHANGES".... I don't see any way of saying "At scheduled time, start level at 10%."

What I did do is IF LIGHT STATUS CHANGES to On and time is between midnight and 6am, set level at 10%. When the dimmer is turned on the light initially starts at 100% but then ramps down.

I can't find any other way of starting the light at 10% based on a schedule range otherwise.

No. You set a scheduler or an event to change it to nighttime mode, and then a scheduler or an event to change it back.

So, you set your schedule or event. In my house, I have a "good night" button that does a bunch of things. One of them, changes his setting on a bunch of lights.

Then, I have a scheduler that resets them to the default (some are 80%, some 90%, some 100%) every morning at 6:30am.

Works great.

No. You set a scheduler or an event to change it to nighttime mode, and then a scheduler or an event to change it back.

So, you set your schedule or event. In my house, I have a "good night" button that does a bunch of things. One of them, changes his setting on a bunch of lights.

Then, I have a scheduler that resets them to the default (some are 80%, some 90%, some 100%) every morning at 6:30am.

Works great.

I was looking through the presets and such but I can only find the preset levels under the MONITORING tab on the left. Where do I find how to change the preset level or a certain dimmer based on a variable or schedule? I have several schedules set up for outside lights at night and such but I can't find anything in Composer HE where I can change the way a dimmer turns on a light when I hit the dimmer button. (my goal is to have a bathroom light come on a lower, less blinding level when I hit the dimmer switch in the bathroom in the middle of night)

I just figured it out! Takes a bit of programming but now I see...

Variable is True or False for dimmer

Schedule sets the variable (True for night, False for day)

If variable is True then preset level is 10, if false it's 100

When button is hit the preset kicks in!

To take it a little further do a schedule but also get the system to do a check to see if any other lights are on in the near area to determine if the lights should be dimmed (15%) or bright (80%).

If using sensors remember to use nightime as there may be little point switching lights on if its light outside

Archived