C4 Forums | Control4

Club411 V2

club411

It would generally be the same here in Chicago with the exception of BX as in Chicago all wiring carrying any voltage must be in conduit. This includes mic cable, HVAC control cable, etc. BX is for short whips to connect fixtures only, generally no longer then 6'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would generally be the same here in Chicago with the exception of BX as in Chicago all wiring carrying any voltage must be in conduit. This includes mic cable, HVAC control cable, etc. BX is for short whips to connect fixtures only, generally no longer then 6'

Thanks so you would NOT be able to connect luminires together even if they are all to be dimmed / controlled as a group?

3 x 3W LEDs would each require a run back to the lighting panel and independent control and BX or conduit wiring even though each cable was only carrying .29A.

It was my expectation and understanding that I could run one power cable from the DMX driver sending 24V 1A that would then power all three of those loads, connecting them together with short whips in the ceiling.

EG 110V world...

Dimmer output from switch > Light 1 > Light 2 > Light 3 (etc, as long as they are under the 600/800/1000 W of the dimmer rating.

24V world

24V of central transformer > DMX driver > 24V Class 2 cable > 3W light 1 > 3W Light 2 > 3W Light 3 etc (as long as the load is below the rating for the DMX driver.

That's a huge pain in the ass!

It was my expectation and understanding that I could run one power cable from the DMX driver sending 24V 1A that would then power all three of those loads, connecting them together with short whips in the ceiling.

Basically this.

High Voltage run (conduit) --> Transformer (junction box) --> Low Voltage Run (Conduit) to first light, Conduit/bx to second light, Conduit/bx to third light. Choice of conduit or bx will depend on if the area is open and accessible as well as length of run and the contractors preference. If there is a licensed electrical contractor from Chicago on here I hope they will speak up but this is my experience and understanding. 

Its not that way in Ontario Canada either, on the residential side. Commercial is a different story.

no differences in the city of Toronto? This is city specific not IL or NY state requirequirements.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived