C4 Forums | Control4

FollowMe Find My iPhone Geofence Driver

phileaton

I can expose a seperate variable for distance to each location if people think it would be useful. The calculation is already being done to determine the nearest location. It's just a matter of setting the variable.

Man, I hate to be a downer, but here's my sit.

Its 10:27am. I took my phone off the charger at 7:00 am. I havent talked on my iphone 5 yet today. Thats 3.5 hours of basic standby with sopme texts sent.  I'd usually be at 95% still without using it at all.

I'm at 71%.

This is after installing v.93 last night.

I also wrote an event to change the polling from 60 seconds to 10 minutes once I got 10 miles away from nearest location. I'm 18 miles away from nearest location and it looks like its still polling every 60 seconds. My lil GPS signal on the iphone status bar keeps lighting up, which it never does, and which it only does if somethings using the GPS.

Keep in mind I'm not complaining. I'm a programmer too. Just trying to provide all the data.

I'm going to let this drain to 50%, then I'm going to have to turn of location services until we can figure this out. I need my phone past noon.

Anything you want me to try, please let me know.

I can post my composer logic tonight once I get home, but the way I set it up, it should have fired when it polled me and I was >=10 miles from home. then polling should have changed to every ten minutes.

**UPDATE**

At 1pm I was at 44% and had to switch off my location services. Even when I use my phone a lot, I dont think I've ever finished a day under 50%. Definitely a cause for concern.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can expose a seperate variable for distance to each location if people think it would be useful. The calculation is already being done to determine the nearest location. It's just a matter of setting the variable.

Phil,

I think this would be very useful to have separate distance to each location

After reading the battery drain issues I set up programming to progressively increase polling internal as I get further away from home, using the distance to nearest location variable.

I found my programming under "when distance to nearest location changes" never fired and therefore left my poll interval at 3 minutes which drained my battery at about double the rate of a normal day.

So I set up a timer to email me every 30 seconds with the value of the distance from location variable and went for a drive. I found this variable never changed after driving 2 km from my home. it was fixed at 

distance  to location :0.0008803513785852 

I think if I worked correctly and fired the programming I could manage battery life and just bring polling interval to 10 seconds when I am 1 km from home.

I hope you can solve the battery issue as I think the driver is fantastic

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am working on figuring out why the variable change is not occurring. I also wrote a tool to help me simulate a trip between locations so I can speed up debugging this thing. I hope to get a new version out by the end of the weekend, but I am away traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday, so no guarantees.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am working on figuring out why the variable change is not occurring. I also wrote a tool to help me simulate a trip between locations so I can speed up debugging this thing. I hope to get a new version out by the end of the weekend, but I am away traveling for the Thanksgiving holiday, so no guarantees.

I have a short term solution.

If you have Composer Pro, which I'm assuming you all do.try this:

Put a relay in your project. Under motorized go to the 3rd relay from the bottom.

Bind it to an emtpy relay under connections. Mine is the lower rack, relay number 3.

Now go to Programming.

Under Open relay event (left side) go to the right side of programming > Communicator > Update interval =0.

Under Closed relay event (left side) go to the right side of programming > Communicator > Update interval = 45

Update interval = 0 turns off polling and wont waste your battery.

Update interval = 45 polls your phone every 45 seconds while its on. It WILL run down your battery, but not too much if you open it from your iphone  app and turn it on as your leaving work. Then toggle it off when you get home. Its just one button press and its pretty cool.

Or you could set a garage door opening to set the interval update to 0 to turn it off when you get home the way I do.

Then if you leave the house to go shopping, use the relay to toggle it on again when you're on your way home.

For example: I have the garage door set to open at .5 miles from my house. If its past 5pm and before 1am and the lights are not on (ie wife and kids are not home) I have all the first floor lights come on and the TV set to ESPN too.

Thanks To Jeremy from Audio Contractors for the help figuring why the relay wasn't tripping.

Any ?'s.

Post here please.

Enjoy. I've also offered to help Phil get this straightened out. I know its a time drag and I'm a programmer by trade. Either way I'm confident there will have a self adjusting app based on distance in the very near future.

Schrady

Why use a relay to toggle the interval? Just use a custom button.

If interval > 1

Set interval to 0

Stop

Set interval to 45

I dont believe custom buttons are creatable on iphone app.

If so, please explain how. Custom relay to set to 0 or set to 60 seems like an easy one touch solution.

I dont believe custom buttons are creatable on iphone app.

If so, please explain how. Custom relay to set to 0 or set to 60 seems like an easy one touch solution.

Obviously this was me. My acct came up suspended as the hosting acct was suspended. Seems to be back.

How do I create a custom button in the iphone app? Please explain.

The relay trigger to shut it on or off works 100% of the time. Been using it for a couple days.

Now that Phil has a new version out, probably not necessary though.

Will test .94 this weekend. Tree going up tonight.

Happy Holidays all

Obviously this was me. My acct came up suspended as the hosting acct was suspended. Seems to be back.

How do I create a custom button in the iphone app? Please explain.

The relay trigger to shut it on or off works 100% of the time. Been using it for a couple days.

Now that Phil has a new version out, probably not necessary though.

Will test .94 this weekend. Tree going up tonight.

Happy Holidays all

Do you know about the custom buttons for navigator? These also show up on the iOS app. I use them for various things.

In agenst make sure Custom buttons module is added.

Then you can create 4 sets of buttons per room or 4 sets of buttons for every room.

Once you have created the sets in agents, go to programming, scroll down on the left and find custom buttons section. From there you can program against them. They have no feed back or status like a relay though.

If you want to keep using the relay (as it has feedback) I would recommend using a virtual relay driver so you don't use up real relays in your system.

https://www.yatun.cz/drivers/drivers/Virtual_relays_driver/

(I am not part of yatun.cz in anyway, i just use their drivers)

Cheers

Dan

PS will be trying out the latest version of the driver this week.

Do you know about the custom buttons for navigator? These also show up on the iOS app. I use them for various things.

In agenst make sure Custom buttons module is added.

Then you can create 4 sets of buttons per room or 4 sets of buttons for every room.

Once you have created the sets in agents, go to programming, scroll down on the left and find custom buttons section. From there you can program against them. They have no feed back or status like a relay though.

If you want to keep using the relay (as it has feedback) I would recommend using a virtual relay driver so you don't use up real relays in your system.

https://www.yatun.cz/drivers/drivers/Virtual_relays_driver/

(I am not part of yatun.cz in anyway, i just use their drivers)

Cheers

Dan

PS will be trying out the latest version of the driver this week.

Never triied that, but I will.

How do I get the free virtual relay? No spot for downloads on wesite

Never triied that, but I will.

How do I get the free virtual relay? No spot for downloads on wesite

Send an e-mail to their support folks and they will send you a username/password to login to the download area.  They are pretty quick to respond.

I sent the newest version out tonight. Variable changes should now work to trigger programming logic so you should be able to set the update interval to change based on distance from locations and last reported battery level.

On the new version .94, I am getting timed out waiting for apple servers. It can;t see my location. Ever/.

I reboted, logged into find my phone, and everything is ok on their end.

Any ideas?

No worries. I kind of thought that might be the case. It's happened to me a ton of times when testing. Composer is a little buggy with driver updates. This version should fix the timeout issue and have more reliable connectivity to the server. Unfortunately, because of the changes isn't doesn't support 2.2.4 and earlier now. However, pretty much all of the testers are using 2.5.2 anyway. Enjoy!

For some reason the driver is not tracking my phone anymore, shows up in iCloud but all the programming is not being actuated.

Will do more digging.Was working great till today with no programming or variables changed.

Archived