C4 Forums | Control4

FollowMe Find My iPhone Geofence Driver

phileaton

Well I was curious, so I shut down all location services except Find my Iphone, turned on debug in the driver to get request times, and started a timer as well to time the location service icon.

It is absolutely pooling the phone location every minute. How that affects battery life is unknown to me. But I will be increasing the update time and trying to balance performance of both the driver and the phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be useful to expose the polling interval as a variable, allowing the installer to choose different intervals depending on time of day / where the phone was last / etc..

For example, I'd probably poll every minute around the times I'm most likely to arrive home, poll less often during the working day to still detect me getting home early, but poll not very often at all when I'm most likely to be asleep, or when the driver has detected that I'm at work. Loads of possibilities if the polling interval were exposed and settable programatically.

At the moment I'm polling every minute, and haven't noticed a significant change in battery life. But, I use the phone a lot during the day and charge it during my commute to and from work in the car, so I'm used to needing to charge a few times a day.

I didn't read the 12 pages, but if mentioned somewhere, I apologize in advance: 

Couple suggestions:

Documentation, you missed #2 
3) Enter the Email address and password for your mobile me account.
I would include “Enter your Apple Email Address”

Useful, not Usefull :) 
Usefull tips: You can list all devices in your account or force an update from the "Actions" tab.

Some additional information;

- I have already filled up my location fields, how hard would it be to allow for 20 location fields?

- While I like the generic “location fields” – is it possible to rename those or give an option to place a name inside the properties page? Several of the locations I have already forgot.

- The installation part was easy, I forgot to put in the device name, thinking this is whatever I want, and not the actual device of my iPhone. It would be helpful to document this. 

- Is the default 10 minutes your recommendation? Or could you add it to a lower value? I would suggest adding 5 minutes if possible. 

I’ll continue to provide feedback as I see. 

Thanks again for the opportunity. 

Matt  

What would you use the 20 locations for?

Ive only used home and work, and I'm not sure why i would need my house to no i was at work.

Some additional information;

- I have already filled up my location fields, how hard would it be to allow for 20 location fields?
- While I like the generic “location fields” – is it possible to rename those or give an option to place a name inside the properties page? Several of the locations I have already forgot.
- The installation part was easy, I forgot to put in the device name, thinking this is whatever I want, and not the actual device of my iPhone. It would be helpful to document this. 
- Is the default 10 minutes your recommendation? Or could you add it to a lower value? I would suggest adding 5 minutes if possible. 

I’ll continue to provide feedback as I see. 

Thanks again for the opportunity. 
Matt  

Ive had to turn the driver off now for the weekend as my phone is now flat by the evening and I have a busy weekend coming up.

The points I had Matt covered, mainly being able to name the locations.  What part is set to 10 minutes Matt?

Battery life is definitely an issue, I'm about at half when it's normally 75%.

Is that on your phone or the wife's phone? sounds like your tracking her lol!

Do you have an example as to why your system would need to know your at the grocery store? or are you just sending your self notifications to test the driver?

So far, I’ve done doctor’s office, grocery stores, and I randomly added a few neighbors. My wife thinks I am a bit “creepy” – so thanks ;)

The points I had Matt covered, mainly being able to name the locations.  What part is set to 10 minutes Matt?

Battery life is definitely an issue, I'm about at half when it's normally 75%.

The update interval... 

Is that on your phone or the wife's phone? sounds like your tracking her lol!

Do you have an example as to why your system would need to know your at the grocery store? or are you just sending your self notifications to test the driver?

Just testing locations ;)

Might be useful to expose the polling interval as a variable, allowing the installer to choose different intervals depending on time of day / where the phone was last / etc..

For example, I'd probably poll every minute around the times I'm most likely to arrive home, poll less often during the working day to still detect me getting home early, but poll not very often at all when I'm most likely to be asleep, or when the driver has detected that I'm at work. Loads of possibilities if the polling interval were exposed and settable programatically.

+1 on the polling.

I also like the recommendation of being able to rename the location fields.

iPhone battery drain has been a little higher than normal for me since adding the driver to my system.

Ok. I have added a variable to the communicator to allow the user to change the update interval based on whatever they want to program against. I also decided to remove the redundant "IS_NOT_AT" variables from the device driver since they are just the opposite of the "IS_AT" variables.  For example IS_AT_HOME=true is equivalent to IS_NOT_HOME=false. I don't think both are needed.

I would also like to add a method for end users to change their email address, password, and locations without having to own Composer Pro. Are variables the only way to do this? Also, does anybody know how one would go about implementing an auto update feature for the driver? I think this may be a little ambitious, but I am curious. 

I will send out the new version tomorrow to everyone who is already running the driver as well as those who have messaged me about getting a copy. 

Phileaton,

I would really like to beta test this for you. I am extremely excited about this capability for automating to the next level. Please tell me how to access this driver and I would be more than willing to communicate any feedback so the usability is what you expect when you market it. Thanks in advance. I hope to hear from you soon so I can be testing.

Sorry for the delay on getting this version out(0.9.2 beta). I made a lot of changes to the variables so that users can set email, passwords, locations etc. without needing Composer Pro. Here is a link to the files on Dropbox. I will get keys to the new testers this evening. If you already have a key it should be good to go. Enjoy!

Phil

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l4vz1tr723cz8ek/Jm1UrqqfSW

Seems very NICE, I have stayed away from Apple products unfortunately. All our phones are Android, I guess I could test this on my iPads (mini & Gen1, both gifts) , we also have a couple of iPods that are barely used.

I'd love the multiple locations as well.

Is there plans for "Find my Android"?

Archived