C4 Forums | Control4

FollowMe Find My iPhone Geofence Driver

phileaton

Seems very NICE, I have stayed away from Apple products unfortunately. All our phones are Android, I guess I could test this on my iPads (mini & Gen1, both gifts) , we also have a couple of iPods that are barely used.

I'd love the multiple locations as well.

Is there plans for "Find my Android"?

Yes. 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have a solution for using multiple instances of the communicator driver with multiple iCloud accounts. However, it involves removing the auto binding feature that is currently used. This means whenever a Device driver is added It will have to be manually associated with the correct Communicator driver under connections in Composer. Its a one time thing that is done at setup, so I think that is worth the flexibility of being able to use multiple accounts. I will enable this in the next update. 

So far I love the driver. It has worked great and I now come home to a fully lit house at night with my favorite TV channel on. I have tweaked the location range to fit my needs. 

One thing I have noticed is that the driver is pulling all of my iDevices locations at the set (default 60 seconds) interval. Is there a way to limit it to just pull the one device I want to follow on my account?

Another question I have is there a way to activate or deactivate the driver with a custom button or triple tap on a certain switch? This would be nice If you were going away for a long trip and did not want the driver to pull your location ever X seconds. 

So far I love the driver. It has worked great and I now come home to a fully lit house at night with my favorite TV channel on. I have tweaked the location range to fit my needs. 

One thing I have noticed is that the driver is pulling all of my iDevices locations at the set (default 60 seconds) interval. Is there a way to limit it to just pull the one device I want to follow on my account?

Another question I have is there a way to activate or deactivate the driver with a custom button or triple tap on a certain switch? This would be nice If you were going away for a long trip and did not want the driver to pull your location ever X seconds. 

I will program the driver to disable polling when the update interval is set to zero. As far as polling only the specified device, this may take more work, but I will look into it. 

Might be useful to expose the polling interval as a variable, allowing the installer to choose different intervals depending on time of day / where the phone was last / etc..

For example, I'd probably poll every minute around the times I'm most likely to arrive home, poll less often during the working day to still detect me getting home early, but poll not very often at all when I'm most likely to be asleep, or when the driver has detected that I'm at work. Loads of possibilities if the polling interval were exposed and settable programatically.

At the moment I'm polling every minute, and haven't noticed a significant change in battery life. But, I use the phone a lot during the day and charge it during my commute to and from work in the car, so I'm used to needing to charge a few times a day.

As a programmer and a C4 programmer, that is an awesome idea. Why poll every minute if I'm 20 miles away. If I get within 3-5 miles, then start polling every minute or so!!

Awesome idea. If I could get the source code, I will do it.

As a programmer and a C4 programmer, that is an awesome idea. Why poll every minute if I'm 20 miles away. If I get within 3-5 miles, then start polling every minute or so!!

Awesome idea. If I could get the source code, I will do it.

This was implemented in the version I posted yesterday. I am working on a solution to stop polling all devices in the account with each update. This may involve more calls to Apple's servers and therefore a little more resources on the controller, but should improve battery life. Especially on devices you don't want to track.

This was implemented in the version I posted yesterday. I am working on a solution to stop polling all devices in the account with each update. This may involve more calls to Apple's servers and therefore a little more resources on the controller, but should improve battery life. Especially on devices you don't want to track.

Hey Phil, I never got a code. PMing you my MAC and email again right now.

THANKS!

Mike-Schrady

One thing I would be interested in is setting a greater than and less than for the range variable. If greater than 5 miles set polling to every 20 minutes. If less than 5 miles set polling to every minute. Currently you can only set equals or does not equal. 

Hi everyone, 

I have the solution for those looking to use two instances of the communicator with iCloud. Its really simple and I was thinking way to hard about trying to solve this. What needs to happen is each instance of communicator needs to have a connection setup with the driver. As it stands, the communicator automaticaly creates a binding for simplicity, but the devices will all associate with the same communicator. All you have to do is:

1. Install however many instances of the communicator and device drivers you need.

2. Go into connections with Composer, select the device you want to connect with a different communicator.

3. In the Control & Audio Video Connections section(the right half of the screen), click on the device you want to change and drag it down to the correct communicator device in the lower half of the screen. 

I hope that makes sense. It should work with any version.

I just sent out 0.9.3 by email to everyone that was already testing. Lots of changes in this version! If you already have a key and I missed you send me an email. If you sent a message but don't have a key yet, I will be sending them out tonight. If you found a bug in the previous version, let me know if it is still a problem in this one. Hopefully not!

Thanks,  

Phil

0.9.3 is absolutely awesome all seems to work as it should.

When the battery issue came up I really thought that the usefulness of this driver to be limiting.

But because of some very smart programming features incorporated in this update the possibilities are huge.

Congrats

Good work Phil

One thing I would be interested in is setting a greater than and less than for the range variable. If greater than 5 miles set polling to every 20 minutes. If less than 5 miles set polling to every minute. Currently you can only set equals or does not equal. 

Man, this is cool. Very nice. I have one question though.

I think you're very close to setting a range from home to change the update frequency. (Update Freq is in seconds, right?)

As it stands, I can’t fire an event to check and see if I'm more than 8 miles from my house. I have to set a specific location, right? Like arrive at work.

Let's say I choose my event as Leave Home. That only fires once, right? It will never see I am 8 miles from home. Let's say I drive around randomly running errands, xmas shopping, grocery store, etc. Not a set place.  I'll never be able to change my update frequency. See my screenshot:

Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Don’t get me wrong, this is an awesome setup.

This assumes my nearest location is my home (only location I've setup)

See my attachment. I think whats needed is an event we can trigger when a range >= XX miles , or something like that.

Ex. When distance from home >= 10 miles

Then set variable: Update Interval = 600  (600 seconds, ten minutes)

And we have an event: When distance from home <= 9 miles

Update Interval = 60  (60 seconds, 1 minute)

I think that would work. Or something like that.

Thoughts?

post-126040-0-59974500-1385434308_thumb.

Man, this is cool. Very nice. I have one question though.

I think you're very close to setting a range from home to change the update frequency. (Update Freq is in seconds, right?)

As it stands, I can’t fire an event to check and see if I'm more than 8 miles from my house. I have to set a specific location, right? Like arrive at work.

Let's say I choose my event as Leave Home. That only fires once, right? It will never see I am 8 miles from home. Let's say I drive around randomly running errands, xmas shopping, grocery store, etc. Not a set place.  I'll never be able to change my update frequency. See my screenshot:

Please let me know if I'm missing something.

Don’t get me wrong, this is an awesome setup.

This assumes my nearest location is my home (only location I've setup)

See my attachment. I think whats needed is an event we can trigger when a range >= XX miles , or something like that.

Ex. When distance from home >= 10 miles

Then set variable: Update Interval = 600  (600 seconds, ten minutes)

And we have an event: When distance from home <= 9 miles

Update Interval = 60  (60 seconds, 1 minute)

I think that would work. Or something like that.

Thoughts?

Ok, I f'd up. Its there and I missed it. Event is when distance to nearest location changes

Then I set update interval to 600 when >= 10 miles and back to 60 seconds when distance to location is <= 9 miles. Assumes you only have home location setup though.

having issue with battery level change.

Wanting the polling frequency to change at a certain battery level.

When I execute the programming no problem but will not fire the request at specified battery level.

Possibly missing something (usually do )

P

Archived