C4 Forums | Control4

Who owns the project

RedTee

I'm looking at purchasing a home that has a control 4 system in place. The current owner has some AV equipment that I would like to replace, but for the most part I would be keeping what is in.  I was wondering do I need to work with the dealer that did the original install in order to modify the project, or can I choose any dealer that would be willing to work with the components I wish to bring in new and would they be able to access the project for this house in order to modify it? Or would the new person need to start from scratch?

Any dealer can help. but there is one thing that is in the hands of the previous owner - the my.control4 account it's registered to. If you didn't get that, there may be some issues.

The system can be re-registered of course, however this would potentially mean you lose licenses for:

-2.x upgrade (if the original controller is old enough)

-intercom

-myHome devices/site

-HE

-4Sight (whatever is left)

These of course limit functionality, or even cause issues.

If you do not have the log-in information for the current account, no dealer will be able to help you (easily) remotely either as they need that info to log-in.

And as an end user you can pick a new dealer in my. Control 4. Com.

Correct - this is freely changeable at any time.

Mind however that a] The dealer selected does NOT in anyway have default access to your system (he/she would still need the codes to get in) - nor does it as such BLOCK other dealers from getting in (ie if someone has your code, just changing dealers won't block them) and b] Please do not randomly fill in a dealer - your account will show up under their customer listing and it wouldn't be appreciated if all of a sudden a 100 unknown clients show up in that list.

Oh do not that the one exception to a] is the DIRECT assigning of licenses, although it would still be possible to enter the license code manually.

Many thanks for the responses so far. So if I can get the account login/pass then any dealer could assist with equipment modifications, etc. As far as equipment, I was looking at replacing the router with an ASUS AC66 as I have that in my current home and change the AVR to a Pioneer SC 67 that I currently use and update the projector to an Epson 5020. Would those pose problems for the old dealer as they are different from what is currently in the home?  Is one brand of product more challenging to work with than another? Or will the lack of familiarity of a brand of product deter the current dealer from wanting to be involved?

Those A/V products are all great products and straight forward changes (from a C4 perspective). And yes, some brands are worse than others to try and integrate.

With the router, just make sure you have a complete understanding of the network structure/configuration before you do anything. You could spend a lot of time on this step depending on how things are setup.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

Archived