C4 Forums | Control4

Motion sensor question

Jeremiah Pauw

I have a few motion sensors for my Concord 4 alarm, and the system is obviously integrated into my Control4.  Do you recommend using those for lighting too, or are there better motion detectors for such applications?   I only have 3 motion sensors for alarm purposes, but would like to put motion detectors in every room for lights (except bedrooms, that would annoy me, but then again maybe disabling them between certain times would fix that).  I wasn't sure if I should buy more of the same ones for my alarm or something different for those rooms that don't need alarm coverage.

Also, something else I wanted to do, is it possible to set motion sensors up for turning on TV?  I'm assuming it's not a problem, just haven't got to that point yet.  My 4 year old gets up, sometimes before my wife or I.  He usually goes right into the playroom.  He doesn't quite know how to turn on the TV/receiver, etc in there though.   Is it possible to set it for say between 5:30 and 7:30am only, if motion is detected, to turn on the TV and put on X (probably Disney) channel, for him?    Also, I'd probably tie a notification that comes to my iPhone, just so we know he's up, in case we don't hear.    

I have alarm connected sensors and they also trigger my house information as well.

I have some motion sensors that are NOT connected to my alarm system.

Yes - you can turn on your TV with motion in the TV room between certain hours - not a problem.

Bill

TexasBill, can you give examples of how you are using option 2? We are installing now and aren't sure how to set up the light automation. Thanks

Sure - 

Pseudo code follows:

If Motion Detected on Kitchen Motion Detector

If Kitchen Timer not running then

Start Kitchen Occupied timer

Turn on all the kitchen lights

else

Reset Kitchen Timer

Let me know if that is not clear enough?

^Not only cleaner but the ONLY way to program.  You cannot have a programming action (left pane) starting with IF.  Only WHEN action is offered when dealing with motion sensors.  Also,the issue of timer START and RESET has been discussed before but I have not found a difference in the two.  I personally use START.  

Well yes, the if was a bit off - but the point was the lessening of lines.

Yes the difference was discussed, but it's a POTENTIAL big difference.

START will only start a timer, and it will start wherever it last stopped.

RESET will set the timer back to 0 AND start it running.

I'm assuming the timer used is NOT a repeating timer (would be wrong if it was) - either way START would NOT function in this motion setting as it would still expire the timer (even if it was repeating it's still considered EXPIRED when it runs full course.

There's lots of ways to do motion/timer lighting but I would assume that the lights go off on timer expires (I assume because it would be the normally recommended setup).

Cy, I have never know you to be wrong (yet)... But my understanding (based on the manual and experience) is that start and reset do not work as you outline above. I wish they did! Both start and reset start the time from the original value and run it down to 0. The difference is what code is run before they start to run... One (reset) runs the on timer stop and on timer execute code whereas the other (start) runs the on timer execute code only...

• 2 weeks later...

START on a running timer will reset the timer WITHOUT triggering start and stop programming

RESET on a running timer resets the timer and WILL trigger those two programming events

START on a timer that is NOT running will start the timer WHEREVER IT WAS LAST STOPPED - be that at zero due to expiry or somewhere else due to a stop command being sent at any point. THIS is where there is a major difference because you may assume there is a 10 minute timer, but for whatever reason the timer was stopped at 9 minutes in, and now after 1 minute it's done. That puts a nasty dent in your car if it's auto-closing your garage door....

RESET WILL put that timer back to 0 - and start it running.

Note that both only trigger START programming if any at this point

Stop is just stop (but remember that it will trigger programming even if the timer is already stopped, and that it does not set the timer to 0!)

That's the long version of my abbreviated one higher up.

Those were at least my conclusions when I dug through some real-life scenarios - now I will say that it's been some time so if I missed any changes made to how that works.....

Archived