C4 Forums | Control4

Rhapsody in Canada

I've subscribed to Rhapsody for a couple of years now. I've just changed banks and CC, so I need to change on my account.

It keeps denying me. I know you need a US address and I do. I've also put a second US billing address on my card to no avail.

Any ideas how I can get past the hurdle and keep my acct?

Toke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I logged into PayPal with VPN using a US IP address. Rhapsody is up again but they wanted to confirm my billing address on PP, which is my Canadian one. We'll see if it stays active. If not I'll try and set up a US PP acct and see if I can see my CC's US address. PITA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This isn't a CRTC issue it is a commercial licensing issue, the same as all media streaming. Rhapsody does not have the license to distribute/stream music in Canada The same with Hulu, etc.

Sirius XM forces that much Canadian content? If not then what is the difference? Is Rhapsody available anywhere outside of the US? If not then it sure seems like more of a licensing than a CRTC issue.

Athough the CRTC has some effect on this, it is mainly distribution licensing. Similar as to not being able to watch video clips from the NBC website in Canada, because Canadian broadcasters have the rights to air their shows in Canada.

Sirius XM forces that much Canadian content? If not then what is the difference? Is Rhapsody available anywhere outside of the US? If not then it sure seems like more of a licensing than a CRTC issue.

Rhapsody looked at moving into Canada, and yes, SiriusXM forces that much onto it's channel line-up, and blocks many of the additional channels that are available on-line.

Athough the CRTC has some effect on this, it is mainly distribution licensing. Similar as to not being able to watch video clips from the NBC website in Canada, because Canadian broadcasters have the rights to air their shows in Canada.

Of course it's the licensing, see above: Rhapsody at one point investigated briefly including Canada - and rightfully turned around.

The root issue is the CRTC because their silly outdated rules means most companies like Rhapsody, Napster, Pandora and others can't be bothered to even attempt getting the licensing - because the moment they take subscribers they HAVE to include that percentage of Canadian content. Same reason why Netflix is such a meager option here - they DID take the effort but available content is far more limited than in the US.

Netflix is not a Canadian content issue, it is a licensing issue. Netflix has to negotiate Canadian rights for shows which are often held by different parties than the US rights. Some stuff on Netflix Canada is not available on Netflix US, like Nick jr shows. And with an IP spoofing service you can even change your Netflix domicile as much as you like.

I really think the issue with Rhapsody et al is that they don't think it is worth their while to have to negotiate all of these rights agreements with different parties given the much smaller Canadian market. And this is not unique to Canada, we are probably second best in the world when it comes to these types of services. Don't forget that the Canadian iTunes music store launched 20 months after the US store for these reasons.

Hopefully the day will come when licensing is done on a global basis rather than country by country but that day is not yet here since the bulk of licensing is driven by broadcasting which is national.

Archived