C4 Forums | Control4

[DriverEditor] How to automatically identify device after power failure

DLM

Hello guys!

I have an Ethernet shield which allows me to communicate to a Cytech alarm system via Control4 HC-800.

My problem is every time power fails I have to manually identify the device (Ethernet shield) in "Network -> Connections" from ComposerPro.

Is there anything I can do with the code to make this happen automatically?

I attached two images to this post, basically is a before and after power failure.

Note:
Device has a static IP adress: 192.168.8.99

Best regards to all.

post-135486-0-97437000-1406907497_thumb.

post-135486-0-29260600-1406907499_thumb.

My problem is every time power fails I have to manually identify the device (Ethernet shield) in "Network -> Connections" from ComposerPro.

You are obviously a dealer don't you know ?

Try the dealer forum! :P

Not the kind of approach I was expecting but I don't take it personally.
Well... I assume that you assumed that I am using some kind of cracked version of ComposerPro but in fact I'm currently and Intern in a domotics company and I would very much like to prove to you that this company has everything legit, but don't know how, so please enlighten me.
In my country there is a 5,000€ fine (minimum) to companies for illegal use of any kind of software.

On topic... my original question was to you guys guide me throw the available functions that I can use in my Lua driver so that when power goes out the Ethernet module could be identified without any kind of human action.

For example, there is this function called "OnNetworkBindingChanged" that I'm trying to use, do you think this is the way?

They are connected to a master plug, so when I turn off and on the switch to simulate an power failure I have to manually Identify (set the IP) the Ethernet module.

My goal is to, when I turn the plug off and on, the Ethernet module be identified automatically.

I coded the following, but it hasn't produced any different outcome.

function OnNetworkBindingChanged(idBinding, bIsBound)  if (idBinding == 6001) and (bIsBound == true) then    C4:SendToNetwork(6001, 1001, tohex("03") .. "LI1234" .. tohex("0D"))  endend

I made some developments. In DriverEditor "Connections" tab, I just checked "Keep Connection" box and the now the device basically goes Online automatically after a few seconds.
Funny thing is when I open the driver with DriverEditor the "Keep Connection" box is unchecked, any idea why?
Also anyway I can do this "Keep Connection" thing on code?

The only thing now is that I'm getting NA to all commands, so I have to enter login command* again in Composer. Any idea how Login can be done also automatically?
*Login command is:

C4:SendToNetwork(6001, 1001, tohex("03") .. "LI1234" .. tohex("0D"))

post-135486-0-39119900-1407249587_thumb.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread back up.  Any progress on this issue?  Were you able to configure C4 in such a way that it reconnects the binding without a dealer needing to go in?   I have the same problem: when a power failure exceeds the time limit of my UPS, and the C4, network and Global Cache IP2SL serial connector go down, C4 loses the binding to the IP2SL serial connector, and then my alarm system gets all pissed off.  Also means I lose the benefit of my programming that leverages the alarm system sensors.  

Has anyone figured out a way to make the re-connection automated and not need a dealer to go in just to re-connect?

Thanks!

Does it actually delete the binding, or are you just saying that the IP2SL reports as offline?

What alarm panel is this? I'm assuming its located away from the Control4 equipment, and the serial adapter is with it, thus the need to have the IP2SL.

My suggestion would be - if the network cable is a straight path from Control4 area to the alarm - to remove the IP2SL, and to relocate the serial module directly to the nearest control4 controller. Use the network cable to extend the keypad bus of the alarm, and with the module plugged directly into c4 you eliminate the chance of the IP2SL going offline.

Also you might consider an update to 2.8 as there was an upgrade to the security proxy and many alarm systems have/will have new drivers coming out that might make the experience even better.

Thanks for your quick response! From Composer HE I can see the Global Cache IP2SL in the project, but it reports as offline (unable to connect).  I don't have it open now, but i recall some port info like "4998: Offline; 4999: Offline."   I recall the solution the last time we had the power failure was some kind of quick rebinding of the GC or something like that.

Unfortunately, I have only one network cable wired to the area where the alarm panel is (and can't add more).  I'm already using the Ethernet connection for several Sonos players in that closet (it daisy chains with the last one going to the GC IP2SL) as well as I'm piggybacking the phone line for the alarm (don't have cellular yet) using a special RJ11/RJ45 splitter.  If I were to go cellular, i could POSSIBLY use the phone line solution to move the Automation Module next to the C4 and transmit the data to the alarm panel on that twisted pair.  That said, when I get home I have to see if it's sending two pairs or not, and would the gauge of that phone wire be sufficient for what would be a run of about 20-25 feet?  (I'd also have to decide if I want to spend the money for the cellular upgrade...)

Do you think the 2.8 upgrade might resolve this "lost binding" issue?? 

Thanks for your quick response! From Composer HE I can see the Global Cache IP2SL in the project, but it reports as offline (unable to connect).  I don't have it open now, but i recall some port info like "4998: Offline; 4999: Offline."   I recall the solution the last time we had the power failure was some kind of quick rebinding of the GC or something like that.

Unfortunately, I have only one network cable wired to the area where the alarm panel is (and can't add more).  I'm already using the Ethernet connection for several Sonos players in that closet (it daisy chains with the last one going to the GC IP2SL) as well as I'm piggybacking the phone line for the alarm (don't have cellular yet) using a special RJ11/RJ45 splitter.  If I were to go cellular, i could POSSIBLY use the phone line solution to move the Automation Module next to the C4 and transmit the data to the alarm panel on that twisted pair.  That said, when I get home I have to see if it's sending two pairs or not, and would the gauge of that phone wire be sufficient for what would be a run of about 20-25 feet?  (I'd also have to decide if I want to spend the money for the cellular upgrade...)

Do you think the 2.8 upgrade might resolve this "lost binding" issue?? 

I dont know if 2.8 addresses the issue with the GC IP2SL going offline after a power outage - which is your specific issue from what I can tell.

Yeah, in my current setup, having the GC IP2SL come back on would be ideal.  Failing that, is there a way to code something separately to automate rebinding like brought up in this thread:  http://www.c4forums.com/topic/15240-drivereditor-how-to-automatically-identify-device-after-power-failure

I'll look tonight to see if the phone line has four wires (two pairs) -- it should -- but then I need to switch to mobile/cellular monitoring (which is probably wise anyway...)  Wish it were IP driven!

Archived