C4 Forums | Control4

Help! Control4 stopped working after power outage + Cox Internet outage

I have a complete Control4 setup that was working perfectly until a power outage and then a Cox internet outage. Power was restored within minutes and Cox was restored in a few hours. The router, wifi, etc are all working perfectly.

Now the Control4 system is not working. I have a HC-250 Controller. The lights for WiFi, data and link are not lit up, not blinking, just blank. I've powered down and up everything on the system and it is still not working. On power up the HC-250 WiFi light blinks blue for about 5 seconds and then blanks. I've done a factory reset (maybe not the best idea) that had the WiFi light blinking orange but then nothing. The iOS apps and SR-250 controller can not find the network.

I assume the system is setup for dynamic IPs. The router was reset but I don't know for sure if a different IP was assigned. Could that be the problem?

Any suggestions to get the system backup and running?!

If you did a factory reset on the HC250, it wiped any settings it had, and if it was the director of your project, the programming for your whole project. You'll need to phone your dealer up and see if they have a backup they can restore. Might also see about putting in a battery backup for the modem/router/HC250 to hold it through some of the brief outages.

Figured that might happen. Still doesn't explain why I was getting no WiFi, data or link lights. Trying to get to the root of why that would happen?

We have power outages here in PHX rarely, maybe twice a year. If the Control4 system is that sensitive to a sudden outage I may have to consider that. The system is on surge protection.

I was having a fair number of outages in my area with controller rebooting every few weeks. Just put everything on the rack (controllers, router, switches,) on a UPS. I didn't put the receivers or the C4 audio matrices on the UPS because I was concerned they would draw too much power. Have a backup generator so just needed UPS to cover time till generator kicks in.

Turned out to be a simple issue with the controller not being able to find the router. Said in most cases with a power outage to simply power everything down, then fully boot up the modem, fully boot up the router and then fully boot up the controller in order. Luckily they had a backup of my system. This particular installer didn't see a reason for a UPS, but as cheap as they are it wouldn't hurt.

Archived