C4 Forums | Control4

Using one Apple TV under Watch and Listen

Can I use and Apple TV as both a video source to my tv's via hdmi and as and audio source to my audio switch?  I have read about the apple tv driver from extra vegatables, but wondering if its just an hdmi to the video switch and a optical converted to stereo to the audio switch.  Are they both active?  I might install it and get it wired so that all my dealer has to do is program it.

Thanks

You can, yes they are both active but be aware that when using a DAC that most of them only work with stereo so you'd have to turn Dolby Digital on the appleTV to off - losing surround sound. Or find a more capable (and expensive) DAC  - which would cost you more than another AppleTV or many other Airplay devices (such as and Airport Express)

This is what I've use in the past:  http://www.gefen.com/kvm/gtv-dd-2-aa.jsp?prod_id=5980  and runs $129.00

The decoder takes audio encoded in Dolby Digital S/PDIF or TOSLINK digital audio source and converts it to L/R analog audio

Proving my point :)

IF the intention is to use this connection for audio source function (in other words airplay) - it's way cheaper to buy an airport express - no DAC needed.

With Apple TV - you will also find that content requiring HDCP will require your TV to be on to allow Apple TV to play.

You can't just 'listen' to those Vivo music videos you have queued on your iphone/ipad. You will wonder why nothing is happening, then you turn on the TV to find an annoying HDCP warning.

I have both Apple TV and Airport Express and they both work a charm.

Airport Express is used most days in my house with spotify music on Iphone - via airplay.

I was looking mostly for itunes as a music source, and apple tv as video.   I think now i'm leaning more towards using apple tv or roku for video and getting a sonos connect for itunes audio.  I want to keep it simple and I don't mind getting a sonos especially for its other services than we may want to use like pandora and spotify.  Sonos looks like an incredible product.  Is it easy to navigate when used with Control4?  The only music source we have now is archived mixed format music that I own on a hard drive.  Just looking for more options. Oh, and I emailed my dealer and asked him to order a wireless music bridge.

I think you'll be happy adding a Sonos Connect into the mix.  It opens up lots of other uses besides just iTunes music.  The only downfall is that you can't use it for Airplay.  However you can pick up an Airport Express for less than $100 if that is something you'd like to use as well.  

I think you'll be happy adding a Sonos Connect into the mix.  It opens up lots of other uses besides just iTunes music.  The only downfall is that you can't use it for Airplay.  However you can pick up an Airport Express for less than $100 if that isn't something you'd like to use as well.  

what he said.

I think you'll be happy adding a Sonos Connect into the mix.  It opens up lots of other uses besides just iTunes music.  The only downfall is that you can't use it for Airplay.  However you can pick up an Airport Express for less than $100 if that is something you'd like to use as well.  

How does the Airport Express work for airplay.  Is it better than a wireless music bridge.  I guess I don't understand what it is. 

How does the Airport Express work for airplay.  Is it better than a wireless music bridge.  I guess I don't understand what it is. 

In my personal experience it has worked just fine.  I use mine exclusively for Airplay hooked up via ethernet with the wireless disabled.  Whether it is better than the WMB depends on your needs.  Airplay really only works with Apple products where the WMB also has bluetooth so it can work with many other devices.  Also the WMB allows you to see the meta data on the Control4 side where the Airport Express will just show up as a generic activity.  

Airport express is a router/wifi unit but can be set up to just be an airplay receiver with a stereo output. Works fine,

Music Bridge can do more - bluetooth, dlna plus 'now playing' feedback and advanced automation features.

Hello,

I have Sonos and very much like it, agree that it provides many options.

Regarding your original question, my application was not exactly like yours but I also I wanted to get analog stereo sound out of my Apple TV and digital surround sound, actually I wanted to do this simultaneously.

I was able to do so while keeping keep the Apple TV Dolby setting on ON using a DAC I picked up in Amazon for ~$50 (FiiO D07 Multi-Channel TV Digital to Analog Converter).

I have nothing to do with the company or Amazon, just looked around a bit for options, ordered one, and it has worked perfectly to date.

Good luck.

You can also use the Airport express as in input the the Sonos Connect, effectively allowing Airplay through the Sonos. 

Unless you're using sonos speakers/as your main audio switching, why add the extra layer?

Hello,

I have Sonos and very much like it, agree that it provides many options.

Regarding your original question, my application was not exactly like yours but I also I wanted to get analog stereo sound out of my Apple TV and digital surround sound, actually I wanted to do this simultaneously.

I was able to do so while keeping keep the Apple TV Dolby setting on ON using a DAC I picked up in Amazon for ~$50 (FiiO D07 Multi-Channel TV Digital to Analog Converter).

I have nothing to do with the company or Amazon, just looked around a bit for options, ordered one, and it has worked perfectly to date.

Good luck.

Not a bad find if it works - but you're stressing not being involved a bit much aren't you? ;)

Archived