C4 Forums | Control4

Writing A Driver

Hey everyone,

I have always wanted to try my hand at writing drivers. As an end user, is there a way that I can get access to any SDK or other driver writing tools? Or is this a dealer only thing?

I had a few driver ideas that I don't think would be too hard to implement. I know many languages (C, C++, python, Java, php, etc), and I understand that C4 drivers are written in LUA. I looked over some example code and don't think it would be too hard to pick up given my background. If anyone with info on this could either respond or PM me, that be great!

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

So a software developer can't decide to write drivers - you have to sell systems as well?  IMHO that doesn't make any sense. 

I am interested in trying my had at writing a few drivers, but I have neither the time nor inclination to become a C4 dealer as, presumably, there will be minimum sales threshold that I wouldn't be likely to meet.

3 hours ago, zaphod said:

So a software developer can't decide to write drivers - you have to sell systems as well?  IMHO that doesn't make any sense. 

I am interested in trying my had at writing a few drivers, but I have neither the time nor inclination to become a C4 dealer as, presumably, there will be minimum sales threshold that I wouldn't be likely to meet.

+1  Am not going to become a dealer but would love to try my hand at writing drivers.  Cant see the downside for C4 if more people are interested in furthering the platform.

30 minutes ago, control4user007 said:

Cant see the downside for C4 if more people are interested in furthering the platform.

The reason I suspect it was shutdown would be one downside. People were signing up as developers for no other reason than to get a copy of ComposerPro.

So, individuals can no longer 'signup' as a developer. A larger software company may well be a different story altogether - but either way, such enquires would simply be taken up via your region's rep/salesmanager - who that is would take a simple google search to find out.

Archived