C4 Forums | Control4

4k Matrix

Installing 10x10 hdmi matrix soon and was wondering what the best setup is. There is one dedicated room with 5.2 and all the other rooms are stereo. Should I make the sources for the 5.2 be only for that room to get Dolby digital and have separate sources for the other rooms or have all available sources run through the matrix?

Run the HT room as its own outside the matrix. Easier and the additional source cost is minimal.

Then look to see if you can go to 8x8 on a matrix that does balun and HDMI and have 2 tv's share a port. Or. Consider if the least used of these tv's needs to be on the matrix.

You can use the zone-locking feature on the matrix for the one dedicated room to make sure you get dolby audio to that room.

Zone locking is a great feature for people who understand it. Sadly, I have to leave it off on most jobs because they don't grasp the benefit, only the limitation. I would go this route, splitting HDMI is asking for trouble.

? Perhaps some overthinking here? The post marks 4k, but the question is about AUDIO.

WHAT is your source for stereo? if the most common setup - an amp for speakers, just force your sources to output surround - the TV's may not output audio, but that won't matter as you're not using that anyway - if they sputter with error messages, most tvs that do can be set to disable the speakers and error message gone.

Feed the receiver for that room via HDMI, and use normal stereo for your sources. A handful of sources may not have stereo out (BluRay player, AppleTV) - just get one of the better DAC units that are capable of decoding (they'll be a bit more expensive, but if you're doing a 10x10 setup it'll be peanuts on the budget)

Archived