C4 Forums | Control4

HTML5 and user interfaces

KwamiKontrol

My dealer told me that C4 will be moving to HTML5 apps (allowing for custom UIs in the future) vs. the current Adobe Flash/Air apps.

This will probably allow more advanced and custom UIs for the new T3 (Android) touchscreens (any any other Android or iOS tablet/phablet/smart phone) 

Is there an ETA on when this will arrive?  C4 OS 2.7.3?

I don't believe a replacement for the Flash UI app functionality will be available for some time.

Control4 doesn't typically pre-announce timelines or roadmaps, and your dealer doesn't have an 'inside track' into what is under development (or what is not under development) within Control4.

As far as releases, 2.8.0 is the next release, I don't believe there will be another 2.7 point release.

RyanE

Thanks for the info guys.  You all pretty much said the same thing, which makes sense and makes me further wonder where my dealer got this 'info' from.  He's pretty knowledgeable, but I do wonder.

Anyway, I'd personally love a move to HTML5/Javascript/CSS.  Some pretty neat and powerful custom apps could be made, especially bringing in more advanced javascript frameworks such as Angular.JS.

Thanks for the info guys. You all pretty much said the same thing, which makes sense and makes me further wonder where my dealer got this 'info' from. He's pretty knowledgeable, but I do wonder.

Anyway, I'd personally love a move to HTML5/Javascript/CSS. Some pretty neat and powerful custom apps could be made, especially bringing in more advanced javascript frameworks such as Angular.JS.

Who's your dealer?

That would be fairly poor form to actually name his dealer and not a great way to maintain a relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True.  I don't work for Control4 but i'm just curious who has been spreading rumors.

You'll probably be hearing more and more rumors like this from anybody that wants to sell equipment.  Not sure how Control4 thought it would be ok to come out with new touchscreens that aren't a drop-in replacement for all functionality in the previous gen--and its now more than 6 months later?

True.  I don't work for Control4 but i'm just curious who has been spreading rumors.

As fire/medic stated, it wouldn't be in good taste for me to blast out the name of my dealer like this, but I'm sure he meant well by mentioning this to me.  It was prompted on a question I had for him regarding the lack of custom UIs for Control4.

As I stated, this would be something I'd really like, especially for the more powerful T3 Android-based touchscreens.  You'd think there is a reason why Control4 moved to this new touchscreen architecture (software + hardware)....probably to run more advanced future UIs...

All I can do now is speculate, but more powerful hardware is always welcome  :)

Archived