C4 Forums | Control4

Playstation 4 control4 driver

samsong

As it stands no.
Sony has not and I assume WILL not allow IP control - ever  -outside of their own devices.

Harmony now controls using their hub, but NOT power on/off which is rather useless.

I have one device that I should have this week that CLAIMS it works using a USB dongle.

If it does, I'll report and will be starting a driver in short order (may not release until I see it stable for myself at least.

As it stands no.

Sony has not and I assume WILL not allow IP control - ever -outside of their own devices.

Harmony now controls using their hub, but NOT power on/off which is rather useless.

I have one device that I should have this week that CLAIMS it works using a USB dongle.

If it does, I'll report and will be starting a driver in short order (may not release until I see it stable for myself at least.

Have you ever tried to mess around with a CronusMax Plus dongle on the PS4? I'm not sure if that's the one you're referring to, but it allows you to use other controllers on the PS4. The developers obviously don't have Control4 in mind, but for somebody with programming experience, might it be possible to use this dongle to make on/off commands work?

Nope, not what I'm looking at.

The CronusMAX PLUS will reset it’s authentication on the PS4 once every 10 minutes, the controller will pause but takes less than a second and is hardly noticeable

Is one problem, in addition it isn't IR, and pc control is middling at best - more like non-existent to actually SEND controls.. Also power control problems.

The problem with PS4 is that Sony, so far, don't allow any external remotes to get connected.

So it doesnt matter what dongles or drivers you get, the problem is the PS4 software.

All full-functions-PS3-solutions is based on the ability to connect a Bluray-remote. If Sony releases a firmware to PS4 that would allow the same, I dont see a problem with the existing PS3-solutions to also work with PS4.

The problem with PS4 is that Sony, so far, don't allow any external remotes to get connected.

So it doesnt matter what dongles or drivers you get, the problem is the PS4 software.

All full-functions-PS3-solutions is based on the ability to connect a Bluray-remote. If Sony releases a firmware to PS4 that would allow the same, I dont see a problem with the existing PS3-solutions to also work with PS4.

Not true - indeed the old harmony PS3 unit will happily connect to your PS 4, but it's command structure is different. Also see harmony's hub which also connects Blutooth - but Sony isn't allowing bluetooth on/off signals outside of their own devices. There are 3rd party remotes and even controllers that connect just fine.

Like I said, I have a device coming that supposedly DOES do this via usb - I state suppose because I'm careful at the least

I stand corrected.

But these things that do connects (for example harmony hub) cant get full functions because Sony dont allow them to. So I still believe the problem is the PS4-software.

Anyway, will be nice the hear if you get this new device to work. It sure helps that you are able to set USB-ports to always on with PS4.

I stand corrected.

But these things that do connects (for example harmony hub) cant get full functions because Sony dont allow them to. So I still believe the problem is the PS4-software.

Anyway, will be nice the hear if you get this new device to work. It sure helps that you are able to set USB-ports to always on with PS4.

Yes - it would require the PS4 to go/be in 'sleep' mode vs the full off, but where the original PS3 USB units failed there should be possible.

For now it's wait and see ;)

As for PS4 software - well yes, as long a Sony block this ability....

USB SUPPOSEDLY does not have this limitation however so fingers crossed.....

Well, so far not a roaring success. Transport control is fine, can power the unit off ok, but power on......1 out of 10.

As this would require additional hardware still to work with C4, I'm not going to bother until I have at least 90-ish percent on and off (off maybe even as high as 99% for overheating purposes).

This is just direct using the piece, completely outside of C4.

Let's hope the update tonight will perform some magic.

I SHOULD note by the way that there are SOME options for on/off and transport control DEPENDING on the hook-up. This uses the HDMI CEC control, and utilizing the ability to control a TV and using HDMI control via it.

But it's a system by system setup and driver process that has no guarantee.

• 2 weeks later...

And like a flash from a clear blue sky the remote is here. I believe this will give us great possibilities to make the PS4 a fully controllable device.

It's a Bluetooth remote just like the PS3 one was. The PS4 is still going to need an additional piece of hardware, I would think, that can convert the Bluetooth signal to make it controllable.

It's a Bluetooth remote just like the PS3 one was. The PS4 is still going to need an additional piece of hardware, I would think, that can convert the Bluetooth signal to make it controllable.

Yup - it's not a flash either but long announced.

And indeed doesn't do a thing for us.

Well, it was news for me anyway. I did'nt know of it last time I wrote in this thread.

And I'm pretty sure that this will make it far more easy to inplement solution like RE:BL, Blu-wave, etc.

But, heck, that's just my opinion.

• 10 months later...

For the more adventurous...I cracked open the the PS4 and soldered a cable onto the board on the path of the power button....connected the other end to a relay on the C4 Controller and I use to this automatically trigger the PS4 to turn on or off when its the selected source.

Gets the job done i guess : /

That was defo my first thought but I didn't have a controller I was willing to sacrifice and after looking on eBay for for one I decided I was too impatient to wait... In addition this way I don't have to have a controller always plugged In charging. It's all a bit ghetto,  I just get bored to easily.

14 hours ago, alanchow said:

Our solution is to automatically turn the room on/off based on the power feedback from the Belkin WeMo.  That way when you use your controller to turn on or off the playstation Control4 automatically senses the change in the power and reacts appropriately.

http://www.chowmain.co.nz/belkin-wemo

This.  I've done this all kinds of ways.  You almost always end up picking up the controller with a game system at some time, as most people are using these for dvd/blu ray players.  The slickest way is when you turn the controller on, have the system recognize it's on and kick all the inputs, turn on avr, tv, etc.  This is especially good for clients because their kids already know how to turn on the game system with the remote.  This solution will allow the rest of the components to turn on based on just that.  Sometimes, less is more.

19 minutes ago, neil12011 said:

This.  I've done this all kinds of ways.  You almost always end up picking up the controller with a game system at some time, as most people are using these for dvd/blu ray players.  The slickest way is when you turn the controller on, have the system recognize it's on and kick all the inputs, turn on avr, tv, etc.  This is especially good for clients because their kids already know how to turn on the game system with the remote.  This solution will allow the rest of the components to turn on based on just that.  Sometimes, less is more.

Yeah.  We actually have a surge in sales of our WeMo driver specifically because of this solution.  I use it myself on my Nintendo Wii but a few dealers use it for the Xbox One and Playstation 4 for their customers and have had alot of positive feedback.

Whats good about the solution is that it automatically turns off the room if the device turns off and is the current selected source.

Archived