C4 Forums | Control4

Dimmer & Keypad Issue

hey guys!

I had my electrician wire a dimmer and keypad side by side.  I believe they charge the same power.  Everything is working fine but I have an intermittent problem. Every now and then when I operate the dimmer, by entire system turns on. This happens whether I  operate the dimmer manually or through my iPad.  I have gone through 2 different dimmers with the same results.

Any idea what my electrician could have done incorrectly?

thanks for your help!

Joe

Sorry, not a tech guy. :)

Intermittently, when I dim or turn off my lights, my projector, receiver and dvd player will turn on.  I have a Control 4 keypad next to the dimmer.  One of the keys on the pad is dedicated to turning on projector, receiver and dvd player.  Any idea what my electrician could have done in wiring that would cause this to happen?  Magnolia programmed the system and there doesn't seem to be an issue with programming.  Recently I had a new dimmer installed and when Magnolia remotely set up the dimmer, my keypad was reset at the same time.  Somehow this two items are linked in some way....

thanks!

Joe

Sounds like programming to me. Possibly activating a scene that causes the system to turn on maybe?

When your keypad button that is meant to turn on the system is pressed does it also adjust the lighting or set a scene? I am thinking that when the light starts to dim or turn off it briefly hits that scenes set level and activates the macro to turn the equipment on. If this is the case simple programming fix should solve the issue.

2 hours ago, Gix656 said:
2 hours ago, Gix656 said:

Sounds like programming to me. Possibly activating a scene that causes the system to turn on maybe?

When your keypad button that is meant to turn on the system is pressed does it also adjust the lighting or set a scene? I am thinking that when the light starts to dim or turn off it briefly hits that scenes set level and activates the macro to turn the equipment on. If this is the case simple programming fix should solve the issue.

If it is not the light scenes, i would check to see if the keypad has the right configuration of buttons. or that it is the correct keypad being used.

Thanks Matt,  I will forward your comments to Magnolia. My keypad does control certain scenes.

Does this back up your thoughts:

I had another dimmer installed thinking there was an issue with the first.  Magnolia had to activate the dimmer once it was installed so it could communicate with existing programming.  When they activated dimmer, my keypad also re-set.  At that point I thought I may have a wiring issue?

What do you think?

Joe

16 hours ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

Are they in the same box, sharing the same cover plate? Could be the plate is too tight of a fit and catching one of the keypad buttons when you press on the dimmer. 

It is possible, I had that kind of issue.. funny, took me time to find it....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived