C4 Forums | Control4

FireTV Randomly Turning On

In one of my rooms my Amazon FireTV seems to keep taking over.  For instance sometimes when I select a button that I have assigned to DirecTV the Amazon FireTV comes on instead.  Pressing the button again swaps back to the FireTV.  Also sometimes when I launch the app on my phone it swaps to the FireTV in that room.  This has only been happening since I upgraded to 2.8.1 and had the FireTV driver upgraded.  I've checked and the CEC is turned off on everything still.  

36 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Did you look for any random programming at source change or room power on?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

I did.  There's nothing there.  Also when it switches it still shows DirecTV is the source.  However it seems to know it's not actually on DirecTV because when I select the source again it issues all the commands to change to it.  

Last night I was watching DirecTV and went to turn the volume up on the iPhone app and it switched to FireTV.  Then a little while later I went to change the channel and it swapped to FireTV.  It's becoming quite annoying but I can't seem to duplicate it all the time.  It just happens at random.  The only consistency is there is a command being sent from Control4 when it happens.  

I currently have a customer that has a fireTV that will not stay on a static IP.  about every other day it would switch itself back to DHCP.  Solved with a mac address reservation but still a very weird quirk.  From what i understand their API isn't public so there may just be some funkiness associated with the integration.

Last night I was watching DirecTV and went to turn the volume up on the iPhone app and it switched to FireTV.  Then a little while later I went to change the channel and it swapped to FireTV.  It's becoming quite annoying but I can't seem to duplicate it all the time.  It just happens at random.  The only consistency is there is a command being sent from Control4 when it happens.  

I would recommend deleting all FireTVs from your project. Reboot controller and then readd them and reconfigure

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

The weird part is I had four of these things running fine with the Houselogix IP driver.  After the update they all quit working.  Deleted and reinstalled and everything worked except the mini drivers.  So deleted and reinstalled them all again and everything works.  Now I start to get the randomness.  

6 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Oh you are using the houselogix driver? I know nothing about that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah I got it before Control4 came out with theirs.  Plus I'm now using Alan's Plex driver and it seems that in some cases it works better with it.  

I have a EA-3 on order and was just trying to wait until I get it in and swapped out before I start troubleshooting it too much.  

When using an audio return from a television or projector to an audio switch you may experience erratic audio and video switching.  This most commonly manifests itself as televisions in other rooms erroneously turning on. This happens because they are being used as the audio path of another room’s video selection. If multiple televisions all have an audio return connected to the audio matrix, Director will use a different television to that being selected for video to create an audio path resulting in a television other than the one being used turning on. Hence giving the appearance of TV’s turning on on their own. The solution to this is to ensure all sources can be routed to your audio end point directly and not through a television driver via an audio return.

may be related

On 3/6/2016 at 9:59 PM, Matt Lowe said:

When using an audio return from a television or projector to an audio switch you may experience erratic audio and video switching.  This most commonly manifests itself as televisions in other rooms erroneously turning on. This happens because they are being used as the audio path of another room’s video selection. If multiple televisions all have an audio return connected to the audio matrix, Director will use a different television to that being selected for video to create an audio path resulting in a television other than the one being used turning on. Hence giving the appearance of TV’s turning on on their own. The solution to this is to ensure all sources can be routed to your audio end point directly and not through a television driver via an audio return.

may be related

Unfortunately I don't have a matix other than the Sonos virtual matrix so I doubt that's the cause.  It didn't do it all week and then suddenly it did it as soon as I launched the C4 app on my phone.  

6 hours ago, MakeItAMudLight said:

Unfortunately I don't have a matix other than the Sonos virtual matrix so I doubt that's the cause.  It didn't do it all week and then suddenly it did it as soon as I launched the C4 app on my phone.  

Easy solution to this... Don't use the app on your phone... Sorry! I could not resist!

Archived