C4 Forums | Control4

C4 succeeds but movie library fails the 16 yr old girl test

Htpc and Control4 aren't even comparable. Sorry. An Htpc is a component. Control4 is a system of which an Htpc may be a component

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly my thinking. I feel like he desperately wants Control4 to be something it isn't. Sounds like someone sold it to him incorrectly or something. Also, I still think more of his problems/frustration come from the fact that he lives in Australia...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

Exactly my thinking. I feel like he desperately wants Control4 to be something it isn't. Sounds like someone sold it to him incorrectly or something. Also, I still think more of his problems/frustration come from the fact that he lives in Australia...

I think Australia and DRM in general are his gripes.  Neither of which are 100% control4.  yes, I agree, media playback, not just control4, is impacted by DRM, but again, i don't think control4 is going to change that or are in the position to change that.  DRM sucks, but it exists because people steal...

Wapping kind of went everywhere with his post but I will say that DRM has held us back from having better media servers.

The piece of hardware that has truly held back the adoption of whole home AV systems is the cable/satellite box. If there would have been an industry video standard developed back in the 90s that cable and satellite companies would have adopted then whole home media systems would be standard in almost any home. You wouldn't be "renting" a box from Charter, Comcast, DirectTV, Dish, etc. You would be buying a box from Samsung, Apple, HP, Dell, Google, Microsoft, etc. and the box would be powered by Android, Linux, Windows, OS X. These companies wouldn't be making the single use type boxes we have today. We would have already had the "one box to rule them all" type systems. 

... Laughable is it? ....

They might not be saying that (to you) but my guess is that is precisely what they are thinking. Nope instead, they say "lets just install a HTPC, or use our iphones..don't need a dealer for that!!! (to Funny: that is exactly what a friend of mine recently said to me when he considered C4 for his home theatre... )

Rapid growth of companies like C4 was killed off years ago with the switch to HTPC (and now watching on an iphone/ipad..or any other combo's of that) which does exactly that! > ONE way of watching *everything*! 

Makes the need for a "better universal remote" more and more obsolete.....

Other than someone so called "mad" like me (thanks for the compliment BTW Ryan), and other fanatics around here, Who would then be crazy enough to *pay* for a dealer to come install a "better Universal remote", if it doesn't even give them a better all in one content distribution experience than streaming free stuff from a HTPC, or beaming your iphone stream onto the screen?!!!! You'd have to be hopping mad!  

And as Williams basically implies, "if you don't sign em up for Entertainment and the media room", you don't get the further "on sell HA"! 

The way Hollywood and the media companies do DRM is the noose that strangles the growth of companies like Control4, and the entire custom installer/HA  industry. If you guys can;t see that, I'm sorry...all I can say is "I've tried"... 

A decade has now been and gone as the Studios have tightened that noose, thwarting easy distribution: (hence the reason to sue...) 

But wouldn't it be great if DRM was removed and Control4 could design a controller range (like the new fab ones released) that not only sorted hirez music and streaming music distribution, but video and movie content as well that? How good would *that* be? !!!

People might say "hey lets get a C4 controller" ...instead of a HTPC....then bingo.. got em' into HA and "the value add".

Adios Amigos.

This post is stuck 5 years ago. HTPC! Who does that. An energy gas guzzler that requires a tune up ever 30 days.

If you had said PLEX or RPi I may be listening still. Seriously though. I know nobody with a HTPC.

In the US the device you are looking for legally is called a TiVo. Sign up for Netflix, Hulu and Plex and the Universal search will pull all legal content. Watch it on your phone or computer or TV or away from the home. Low power, no maintainance.

Now what you want (well you would need to pay for the content which HTPC users generally don't) can be put on the controller is they put it on the roadmap. It would be a hook into the TiVo search api and the plex api for local content (already stored and indexed)

^Sure everyone. HTPC, Kodi box, PLEX, RPi, iphone straight to the TV, ..whatever...Yes.  Sure. It's changed over the years. I know that! LOL

I mentioned HTPC as the "generic". I mean geeeeez! Cut a guy some slack haha!

Whatever Joe homeowner is now using to stream and distribute content the non DRM'd way  (as apposed to the way Hollywood forces you to do it! )

You all know what I meant.

And thanks SMH for so distinctly putting it. Yes. If the way Hollywood et al  has screwed up DRM holds us back from having better media servers, what I have been trying to say all along (hahaha) is put 2+ 2 together and it follows that this has held back the growth of the entire Control4 business..(and the custom install industry that goes along with it) 

Customer desires/loves a great media server. Customer seeks out options> Control4 considered (As Williams said Entertainment and the media room is the way customer usually gets into Control4) > Customer realises to their horror they can do it cheaper and better themselves via a non DRM solution (whatever the current way is of the day). Customer balks at the C4 purchase.... Control4's growth is thwarted because they don't get this initial instal, but worse (As Williams also points out)..even if they do get into the media room with the initial instal, the value add HA sale and all the other great stuff happening and repeat business later on potentially doesn't eventuate because of the let down due to DRM....There is always that guy who comes around to check out your new media room set up and tells you "why did you put in C4?" I can do all that with my XYZ box for $49.99 and I can DIY! Ok now do ya'll get what I've been on about? THAT's why DRM is a pox on the growth of C4 and the industry. C4 doesn't have a level playing field to show what it can really do and grow as a platform..... And it's all due to the Hollywood botch up of distribution/DRM....

Anyway I'm trying to leave this forum till after 2020!

Cheerio chaps!

Rock on Control4 (and enjoy your systems.) :) 

Sorry wap...I still don't get it. Maybe I'm just slow.

Should Ferrari start petitioning for higher speed limits and no speed bumps so their cars are more practical so they can sell more and bring the price down?

I mean, clearly more people would buy more Ferraris if they were less expensive, could legally be driven fast and didn't have to worry about doing damage with every speed bump and gutter!

Therefore road maintenance and municipalities should be the sole focus of Ferrari until they can get these roads all buttery smooth and without speed restriction.

And to clarify, I never intended you were 'mad' in general, with the exception that I think you are a little obsessed and have trouble letting go of threads that you 'sign out' of on a regular basis.

:)

RyanE

Archived