C4 Forums | Control4

C4 succeeds but movie library fails the 16 yr old girl test

LOL! Welcome home movie hoarding suckers.

What a shambles movie library storage and hollywood and 3rd party shinanigans really is!!!! As DRM continues to kill all hope of movie lovers getting a synced library "all in one" on the one platform..

LMFAO. Movies are just all over the place at my joint. On line, in the cloud, still on disc in some forgotten cupboard..(sic)... Literally chewed up in the dogs kennel on another disc..on some stupid Ultraviolet site, waiting as a "Coming Soon" on HBO, at the Big screen cinema (literally that's the only way you get to see the just released blockbusters for 3 months here), wait.. correction on the hand cam recorded Indonesian style bit torrent copy, on the Apple TV store, on the dune, on the NAS..... are they on Netflix? Heck I don't know! (probably not)...

LOL so my 16 yr old daughter sends me a txt "have we Shutter Island"?.. I'm at the football and before I get a chance to reply (to tell her it's on our "movie library" )...you know the one I have painstainkingly spent literally weeks syncing and downloading and "backing up" onto the NAS..... she has downloaded and watched the rental from itunes hahahahahhaaha LMFAO

My Movie library FAILED to deliver hahahahahaha. 

All the carry on, the QNAP, the drivers, XBMC, the .....

Well at least the SR250 worked with the appleTV driver hahahahahaha

So long Movie Library suckers

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey WAP!

Good to see you 'surface' again ^_^

OK I'll bite - let me have a crack at this. ;) (all this is in good spirit here - don't go all crazy on me)

16 year old cannot initiate independent thought to look for one-self, thus ask adult to give an answer.

Proceeds to be unable to produce a properly built sentence, nor punctuation.

Then cannot show the the patience to wait for said adult to provide the answer to a question (assuming the said sentence is a question) for more than a few minutes.

In the end decides to use ANOTHER search option than the one readily available in the C4 interface to search to see if it happens to be available elsewhere.

For additional cost and apparent aggravation of bill payer gets a second, temporary, copy at a lower quality than the one already owned. Without asking permission.

Did I mention that these days there's a search option in C4 under movies?

Using the Logical Reasoning method of "if the first two statements are true then the third statement must be true" one could come to the following conclusions:

Lets start with your original one:

16 year old cannot manage to find a movie on a database.

Hollywood makes it harder for you to create said database.

Hollywood is the cause of 16 year old being unable to find a movie in the database.

Here's one of mine based on the above.

16 year old cannot create proper sentence syntax.

Apple is able to use 16 year old syntax to find desired result.

Apple promotes improper syntax.

Another:

16 year old cannot independently think to find solution.

Control4 is the tool used by 16 year old to find solution.

Control4 promotes independent thought.

One more:

16 year old doesn't have the patience to use existing search function of bill-payer's system.

16 year old has easy access to additional pay option of bill payer.

16 year old is allowed to incur additional cost to bill-payer (without given permission) to compensate for lack of patience.

:blink:

^Luv it Cy. Yup. You got it...

Hollywood doesn't give a f@$k about movie libraries and movie lovers (and content distribution that actually works!.)

They have totally screwed up movie distribution. TOTALLY. Just pure calculated greed. It's shameful.  

Thing is small fantastic companies like Control4 (who try and give consumers what they want) get caught in the cross fire. 

Wait. More like crushed by a behemoth. Its 10 years on and some. Has C4 woken up yet to how much this DRM crap has cost *them*?

Share price says it all... Must be in the billions now I'd reckon. Where is the law suit? 

26 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

It's Not about Control4. It's Hollywood.

No kidding!

I think you misunderstood what I said.. I said where is the law suit (instigated and supported) by C4... against Hollywood?

You my friend could participate in the class action.. (along with all the other dealers, small party manufacturers, Custom installer associations etc who have no doubt lost millions of revenue) :) 

No kidding!

I think you misunderstood what I said.. I said where is the law suit (instigated and supported) by C4... against Hollywood?

You my friend could participate in the class action.. (along with all the other dealers and small party manufacturers who have no doubt lost millions of revenue)  

It wouldn't be a Hollywood lawsuit it would be a lawsuit against the US for dmca

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

^well OK. That too.

Bring on both if ya need to..

Fact is, it's hurt the company, custom installers, your entire "industry"...

Your customers (ie people like me) aren't going to do anything about it... other than come on sites like this, sound out the bleeding obvious, have a bitch to ya all then move on to the next "solution"... 

So what are you going to do about it?

LOL! hahaha

Ok all you lame ducks 

dcma, DRM.. whatever the US laws are over there.. thing is they have FAILED. That's because they support the lawyers and cronies and rent seekers and NOT the 99% of ordinary people. Ordinary folks with best intentions at heart to start a business, look after their families and just sit down and watch a g'dam movie (they have paid for) of their own for goodness sake! hahaha  No matter.. Sure. keep all the myriads of lawyers, crony politicians and third party rent seekers in place.. what do I care?

You've got to be tough on the rules (in this case copyright).. sure. BUT NOT TO THE DETRIMENT of good honest law abiding folks!!!! 

That means spending the money on making a better experience than the cheap/nasty/easy to use/and free alternative. NOT on lawyers and crony political donations!

On that front DRM and hollywood is a total and utter FAIL. 

Over and out 

On 4/16/2016 at 0:49 AM, RyanE said:

It's like the swallows coming back to San Juan Capistrano.

Must be that time of the year.

:)

RyanE

Lol Ryan.... so "when the swallows come back" in 2020 are you going to sue Hollywood when you lose your job and c4 struggles to get critical mass and grow?? 

Facts are Hollywood continues to thwart and hinder Control4's growth because DRM is a pox on the entire HA and custom installers industry... 

Anyway. If folks around here can't see it, that aint my problem:  Have a good one. I look forward to seeing you all still here beyond 2020...

Adios Amigos :) 

I've never understood this rant, though I've read it so many times before. When movies come out on disc (a few months after the theater) we stop by Redbox and get it.

I think your beef is actually with the Australian government. We don't have those problems in the US.

Oh, and it's not costing Control4 revenue. They don't brand themselves as a "find almost every TV show you could ever want to watch with Control4" product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Ive never understood this rant"

No. It seems I'm the only one. The only one who got into Control first as a better Universal remote that controlled content and a movie library.... Then expanded onwards with the HA stuff.. but hey. What do I know...?

"We don't have those problems in the US".. Yep. US has Zero problems with DRM.... OK whatever you say. ALLL content is available at all times to all players and media devices in the industry straight away the moment it is released... Sure. Every movie, TV show, documentary. Yep. I guess I am stupid after all. That's why there is an HBO, Netflix, Utraviolet, Vudu, and AppleTV..etc etc...Yup and you can get RT news and BBC player and every other type of world content as well whenever you want.... all via the one platform.. 

No they don't brand themselves as a "find every TV show you could watch with a Control4 product". Yep I agree with that. Pity... I wonder what the product growth and the consequent share price would have been if there was no DRM and they could have accomplished that..

Anyway. Time will tell. Like revisit after 2020 shall we?.... Adios Amigos.... :)

Well the music industry saw what happened when they had no drm and the movie industry was able to rein it in before it got out of hand. Drm is a way of life. You don't own the content. You own a copy with limited use.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

I personally agree with some of "the rant", as in: DRM sucks and likely *does* drag down some amount of interest in our industry and in Control4 specifically.

What I don't agree with is the thought that Control4 *could possibly* affect any change in such a large, entrenched system.  I personally think Control4 would be better served to make Control4 work better, not to try and change Hollywood and the movie system.

I think an extremely drawn-out legal battle (against *multiple* studios, networks, and device companies) that Control4 can't win and the legal fees would pretty much just kill Control4.

IMHO, Control4 should not attempt to tilt windmills.

RyanE

I personally agree with some of "the rant", as in: DRM sucks and likely *does* drag down some amount of interest in our industry and in Control4 specifically.

What I don't agree with is the thought that Control4 *could possibly* affect any change in such a large, entrenched system.  I personally think Control4 would be better served to make Control4 work better, not to try and change Hollywood and the movie system.

I think an extremely drawn-out legal battle (against *multiple* studios, networks, and device companies) that Control4 can't win and the legal fees would pretty much just kill Control4.

IMHO, Control4 should not attempt to tilt windmills.

RyanE

It's a bigger issue for the likes of kalidescape if you ask me. DMA does not port to the KScape. I would be pissed dropping 4k on a media server and then needing to rebuy the Disney titles. Though I suppose if I have 4k to blow on a media server I have the bennys to spend on the rebut but still it grates.

My dislike of Wal-Mart is softened by the fact they have the power to negotiate with Disney to make VUDU consolidate all digital lockers.

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

DRM sucks

The NEED for DRM sucks (if no-one made copies of things they didn't pay for...), the implementation (or lack of an implementation of an alternative method of having those movies) sucks.

I don't think anyone is truly debating that.

I do NOT think "Hollywood" is WRONG to implement protection, because the need to protect that what you own is a fact of life. I WISH it could be done better, but I also understand that that is not easy to do and maintain. Because anything easy to do and maintain is easy to break.

The only way I foresee there being any 'universal' way that all movies are easily accessible to all, everywhere, in one singular interface, is if there is only ONE company that makes the movies, owns the rights, does the encryption, the interface, the storage.....and that would mean a monopoly which will cause more issues than it solves.

Those that complain the hardest (no I'm not aiming that at WAP) that 'big Hollywood' is such a bad thing, thinks so only because they want what 'big Hollywood' has to offer (but cannot or don't want to pay for it).

'Everyone complains about all the sequels', yet 'everyone' pays to watch them - same for the 'It's all big buck visuals no substance' - yet 'everyone' goes to see them. That's all along the same veins.

Indeed, I do not 'blame' Hollywood for how painful it sometimes is to 'do the right thing' yet have all the convenience - I in fact blame those that do movie pirating, particularly those that actively pirate new and big release titles (there's an argument to be made for the more obscure (older) movies or shows that have no economic value to re-print or distribute mainstream - the ones no rights owner cares show up on YouTube).

Blaming C4 for it, or expecting them to be able to do anything about it - now that's just plain silly.

Archived