C4 Forums | Control4

Mac Network File Storage

Hi, 

So today I was astonished to find out that you cant point C4 at a directory on a Mac without using additional software / workarounds to enable samba. I've had a short play with it without much luck. Is there a certain 3rd party driver that makes it simple (or any easy way)? I don't really want to overcomplicate things by installing a Samba NAS when theres Mac Mini sat in the rack running.

Any helps appreciated! :)

7 hours ago, thegreatheed said:

You can't reliably point it at a Windows PC either. 

Use a NAS, that's the ONLY recommendation from C4.

Using a computer folder shared is just a poor idea - it always worked iffy, got broken by computer software updates etc.

NAS, or a dedicated server (FreeBSD/FreeNAS etc based work great, even Windows true Server versions work perfectly fine).

It's actually both OS X and C4 that are at fault. OS X hasn't dropped Samba support. It has dropped ancient Samba support. It runs SMB3, whereas AFAIK C4 only supports SMB1.

Since a NAS is not much more than a PC running some form of Linux, it seems useful to actually understand why a NAS would be recommended over a desktop computer. Generally speaking, NAS's tend to keep the old protocols around for broader compatibility, where the desktop OS's tend to drop them for simplicity and security. (I'm not saying NAS's are less secure here, btw. Just that it's easier to secure the OS by shifting to more modern protocols.)

There's really no reason why you *shouldn't* connect to shares running on a Mac vs. a NAS. They're usually running the same software under the hood, especially where SMB is involved. It's just that it can be difficult to get OS X configured to run a version of SMB that C4 is happy with and C4 doesn't seem interested in upgrading those parts of their systems (if it ain't broke, I suppose…)

6 minutes ago, bdonohoe said:

(if it ain't broke, I suppose…)

More like, if it ain't broke - why shift to supporting a volatile environment that constantly shifts and changes requiring much more resources to keep in line, and even then tends to cause (temporary or not) loss of function.

7 minutes ago, bdonohoe said:

NAS's tend to keep the old protocols around for broader compatibility, where the desktop OS's tend to drop them for simplicity and securitry

While not untrue, I'd look at it the other way around.

Desktop OSs need to have higher standards of simplicity (as they are expected to be used and changed (extended, updated, programs installed) daily by -relatively- experienced users and security as they are expected to be connected and exposed to threats daily (internet, email, virus, bogus programs - and don't feed me the crap that Apple OS isn't 'at risk'). A NAS on the other hand is not normally expected to do that at all (part of the reason why it is NOT recommended to use the 'fancy' easy setup types you often see from Western Digital or DLink and the like that support cloud operation for use in Control4) - and if they are set it's usually done by someone who has a -relatively- higher level of experience.

16 minutes ago, bdonohoe said:

There's really no reason why you *shouldn't* connect to shares running on a Mac vs. a NAS

Mac or Windows, yes there is - indeed you spell it out yourself.

17 minutes ago, bdonohoe said:

It's just that it can be difficult to get OS X configured to run a version of SMB that C4 is happy with

Again, or Windows - but that is a pretty good reason to not try and 'cheap' you way out of it. Extrapolate that to the fact that operating systems like Apple and Microsoft's are (have to) 'change' so often as mentioned further above - and those are pretty solid reasons you *shouldn't* be going down that road.

It's entirely possible to do mind you, and I'm in fact well aware on HOW to do it - but I (much like I would assume C4) have no desire (nor time) to 'support' that function after every update/fix/patch. Indeed I wouldn't (and don't) do it for my OWN system, let alone deal with who knows how many other systems that all of a sudden can't play music, or videos.

Again, or Windows - but that is a pretty good reason to not try and 'cheap' you way out of it.

I'm not sure how using a Mac instead of a NAS is cheap, but whatever.

It's really sad that this forum tolerates neither actual information, nor any discussion of ideas that do not fit the mandates of How Control4 Said You Should Do It.

Rationalize your position all you want. Some of us like to explore ideas and understand why they do or don't work.

I fail to see why explaining the best way to do it (which happens to also be the way recommended by Control4) shows intolerance to "actual information".

Control4's going to recommend what's been proven to work, period.

If you choose to try and go another way, that's fine, but there's a reason why it's not recommended.

RyanE

21 minutes ago, bdonohoe said:

I'm not sure how using a Mac instead of a NAS is cheap, but whatever.

It's really sad that this forum tolerates neither actual information, nor any discussion of ideas that do not fit the mandates of How Control4 Said You Should Do It.

Rationalize your position all you want. Some of us like to explore ideas and understand why they do or don't work.

Cheap because you're trying to do it without getting additional hardware.

What intolerance for information? Did anyone state the information you dictated wasn't real, did anyone remove it, did anyone say your information was poorly begotten or had ill intend, did anyone attack you personally to undermine you?

What lack or intolerance of discussion? Weren't we discussing it?

Has anyone stopped you from sharing information, methods or anything else? The fact that I'm saying I don't want to get into sharing that information and subsequently having to potentially support those that use that info I supplied is in no way stopping you from doing the same. Just don't give the method and expect others to continue to help others work with it on the next change. Don't expect people to point out the very real fact that it is, as such, not supported to go down that route. "Unsupported" does not equal "we'll stop you from doing it".

Rationalize your position all you want, but there is good reason and sound reasoning behind what I said. Apparently your information and stance is the one that counts, no other and anyone countering your information (or, in reality in this scenario using that same information, adding to it and forming it into a different reasoning) and opinion is wrong. Pretty sure that fits the definition of 'intolerance' quite nicely.

You decided to continue the 'discussion' - I decided to as well. Until this post of yours about intolerance, there was nothing else happening other than two people giving their opinion, reasoning and insight. It is really sad come to think of it.

• 1 month later...
Hi, 

So today I was astonished to find out that you cant point C4 at a directory on a Mac without using additional software / workarounds to enable samba. I've had a short play with it without much luck. Is there a certain 3rd party driver that makes it simple (or any easy way)? I don't really want to overcomplicate things by installing a Samba NAS when theres Mac Mini sat in the rack running.

Any helps appreciated!

Archived