C4 Forums | Control4

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have two C4 Amp 108’s. They worked perfectly until I replaced the audio matrix switch. Once my rep reprogrammed matrix, both power amps started sporadically shutting off, sometimes for a few moments, sometimes for a day or so. Is it coincidental that both would fail simultaneously after the reprogramming? Does this sound like a fan/thermal shut down issue, or other issue such as capacitors? 
Thanks much for any help. 

I also have the issue described on page 1 - the amp cuts out after a few seconds and the lights turn red.  It happens when connected to audio sources other than a matrix switch, like a an Echo Spot or iPhone.

Any ideas on what the fix is and whether it can be done easily, or for a few hundred bucks?  I have taken my unit apart and I don't see any obvious issues - no bulging capacitors (which have been the scourge of many electronics makers in recent years). 

I bought a used one that is coming in so if I feel energetic I might swap out the PS from the "new" one to the old one.  Hopefully the new one will work properly.  The HC-300 had bad power supplies as well but they were very easy to swap.  I had a quick look at this and it looks like a lot more work.

This is a "dumb" amp should keep working forever.  If I remember correctly, these don't even get added to your C4 system as they just amplify the signal coming in on the RCA jack. 

I have tons of older audio equipment that has worked for decades longer - like a Yamaha stereo amp that I bought in about 1989.

• 3 months later...

If the amp shuts down the 220 uF 35V capacitors on the power pcb need replacing.  The capacitors are just behind the heatsink on which the + and - 12V regulators are mounted.

When I replace the capacitors, I also move both 12 V regulators off the power pcb and onto the bottom of the chassis since the regulators run too hot.

I now need to find the repair procedure to get the red leds to change to the blue leds on the front panel.  Does anyone know this?

• 1 year later...

I’m having same issue…inherited the system which was installed around 2015. We’ve had MANY issues in the four years here. Both my 4 and 8 zone amps shut off after about a minute. My real question is, can I replace the amps with a different brand, or is there something inherent to control4 that would render another brand useless? I’m not very pleased with the quality and would prefer to go another direction. Thanks for any insight!

6 minutes ago, MagsJG said:

I’m having same issue…inherited the system which was installed around 2015. We’ve had MANY issues in the four years here. Both my 4 and 8 zone amps shut off after about a minute. My real question is, can I replace the amps with a different brand, or is there something inherent to control4 that would render another brand useless? I’m not very pleased with the quality and would prefer to go another direction. Thanks for any insight!

Mine got replaced with the Triad amps and they have been totally fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.