C4 Forums | Control4

touchscreens compatible with new hardware

osa

Question

So I have the latest hardware installed in June. Does anybody have time to put up a list of compatible touchscreens? Trying to explore e-bay options and my dealer isn't too happy about it and doesn't give me a clear answer.

He said that the newest touchscreens don't support 3rd party apps. On the other hand the older ones can't be integrated with new hardware. Any clues (links etc.) would be highly appreciated.

4 answers to this question

Still holds true for the current version.

Simply put T3 (current gen) screens and EA controllers cannot use the old 4store apps - the previous gen screens AND the one before that still work as of this time, being the IE (infinity edge) screens (7" and 5" wall units) as well as the V2 screens (7" wall and portable unit, similar to IE but with a camera).

Of course what works to day is NOT a guarantee on how long they will remain supprted - but I know of no plans to drop them at this time.

Yeah... I wouldn't risk the IE screens... A bit old. The new T3 Touchscreens are by far the best. They are fast and crisp. However, there are a few disadvantages relative to the slower older V2s (and the even slower, even older IEs). The V2s allow for bookmarking, custom home (I.e. Adding icons to the home screen) and control4 apps (there are one or two really good ones) which the T3s don't allow.

I have two T3s and two V2s in my project. I would dump the V2s tomorrow if the above issues (for me, all I need is bookmarking and the StartHere! App) were fixed. I had five issues originally and am down to the above 3 now (and only 2 are vital). I really hope that OS2.9 will deal with these but I am not holding my breath.

I have a new T3 but also decided to buy a $50 Kindle Fire on which I installed the Control4 app to test it. While I would agree that the new Control4 tablet is very slick, I have a tough time to justify the price difference. Don't take me wrong - I like it a lot. But at more than 10 times the price of a Fire, not sure...

Besides intercom, what is missing on the Fire/C4 combination? This is the same for iPad and other tablets. Except that at $50, one can dedicate a tablet just for Control4. 

Just a candid question and I would love your expert views on it... :-)

10 hours ago, istreich said:

Besides intercom, what is missing on the Fire/C4 combination? This is the same for iPad and other tablets. Except that at $50, one can dedicate a tablet just for Control4. 

I also was considering dedicating ipads, but since I do need an intercom (and that's the only reason) I'm now considering touchscreens or new Nucleus devices. The latter have intercom and is Alexa integrated. So I'm thinking even though I won't have Control4 interface on Nucleus, I can still vocally ask it to do any control4 activities. 

I do however agree that the price of a C4 screens is outrages given it's a one app tablet only.

Archived