C4 Forums | Control4

Airplay not consistently appearing

On my wife's iphone and ipad, while playing music, the different c4 rooms are hardly ever present. Sometimes they will be all listed: deck, living room, kitchen etc but 80% of the time none are listed at all. I have reset all c4 controllers, checked the wifi, yada yada yada, but they consistently disappear even when 5 minutes before they were available and we were playing through one.

13 hours ago, knowitall said:

Does yada yada include rebooting your iOS devices?

Yes

12 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Most likely it is a networking problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I have literally spent hours/days adjusting my network for C4. Any specific suggestions. I've followed C4 suggestions for network setup to a T.

Not a solution, just a comment: My ONLY consistent Airplay target is AppleTV and an Airport Express. The 3rd party Airplay hardware I own is flaky.

I was thinking about adding an EA-3 just for the Shairbridge/Airplay support... now I'm wondering if it is worth it. Anyone else having this issue?

Airplay, while a great product in many way, isn't all that reliable in general.

I recently updated an old setup, where we added shairbridge to a system, because the user's airport express and ATV kept not showing up - the ATV is still in and randomly disappearing, yet Shairbridge is fine.

In another house, a client's computer (Mac) could not stay connected to an airport express hanging off an Airport extreme, yet phones and tablets would work fine, and the C4 iTunes driver stayed connected jsut fine as well - until we replaced the router with a Cisco router.

In my own house, shairbridge is flawless, so is it at client's homes where WE do and provide the complete network setup. I've seen it be glitchy on systems that we took over unless we redid the networking.

In other words, networking can have a huge impact on Airplay reliability. And it's inconsistent where any potential issues are.

I have been having the exact same problem that Ryan describes. The Shairbridge driver seems to have issues occasionally (bordering on pretty frequently) where it just stops working. Composer shows the driver status to be "Shairbridge terminated with Code 1". The only fix seems to be a controller reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived