C4 Forums | Control4

Ring Door Bell Integrated via IFTTT Maker Driver

AK1

@alanchow Alan Chow's great work with the IFTTT Maker driver has resulted in Ring.com integration - at least as far as detecting a Ring button push in Control4. This allows for an announcement to be triggered or other programming event. It does not of course offer 2-way video intercom via Navigator or mobile devices with Control4 app, but i am perfectly happy using the Ring app for this purpose. Performance was excellent, perhaps 1 or 2 second delay at most to playing of Control4 announcement on speakers .

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I must say that I am finding Alan's driver great and you can do all sorts of things... My only challenge is that I am typically experiencing 10 to 15 second delays (not 1 or 2 seconds)... This may be because we live in Africa???

are you using Control4 announcements? If so then the delay you are experiencing is most likely the announcement agent.

our driver maintains a persistent connection and as such as soon as IFTTT sends a notification we get an immediate response.

3 hours ago, AK1 said:

@alanchow Alan Chow's great work with the IFTTT Maker driver has resulted in Ring.com integration - at least as far as detecting a Ring button push in Control4. This allows for an announcement to be triggered or other programming event. It does not of course offer 2-way video intercom via Navigator or mobile devices with Control4 app, but i am perfectly happy using the Ring app for this purpose. Performance was excellent, perhaps 1 or 2 second delay at most to playing of Control4 announcement on speakers .

Thanks glad you like our IFTTT maker driver. Always good to see what people are using it for.

Alright... I took the plunge this weekend and got the Ring Pro Doorbell installed.....

Driver for chowmain and push notification cost... roughly $100 total...(retail).

I now get ring on the app to my phone ...and an announcement of music on my house speakers with no issues!

a small bit of a learning curve, and after reading the pdf of from Alan (chowmain) it fell into place....

Damn.... it is sweet!

2 hours ago, nawty said:

Alright... I took the plunge this weekend and got the Ring Pro Doorbell installed.....

Driver for chowmain and push notification cost... roughly $100 total...(retail).

I now get ring on the app to my phone ...and an announcement of music on my house speakers with no issues!

a small bit of a learning curve, and after reading the pdf of from Alan (chowmain) it fell into place....

Damn.... it is sweet!

Glad you're enjoying it.

On 9/5/2016 at 6:00 PM, alanchow said:

are you using Control4 announcements? If so then the delay you are experiencing is most likely the announcement agent.

I don't get this at all. Why on earth does it take so long for the announcements to play... it's literally playing a wav file out an analog output, it should be instantaneous... a $5 linux SBC can do it. Has anyone figured out a workaround?

29 minutes ago, Johann Stroh said:

It has to do with how long it takes to turn on amps etc..

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No it doesn't. Especially with the matrix amps, they are ready to do their thing almost instantly (ever joined a room to another room on a matrix amp? It's instant).

Now, if you are suggesting that the delay was purposely put there to give some amps a chance to turn on, that may be the case, but it is an absolutely stupid way of doing things - the delay should be configurable.

36 minutes ago, dmurray14 said:

I don't get this at all. Why on earth does it take so long for the announcements to play... it's literally playing a wav file out an analog output, it should be instantaneous... a $5 linux SBC can do it. Has anyone figured out a workaround?

A workaround is to utilise sonos or Kodi Full as to perform your announcement.  Both drivers can simulate the Control4 announcement without the limitations of the Confrol4 announcement agent.

3 minutes ago, alanchow said:

A workaround is to utilise sonos or Kodi Full as to perform your announcement.  Both drivers can simulate the Control4 announcement without the limitations of the Confrol4 announcement agent.

Ah, perfect...I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Still think it's absurd it works this way by default, it's definitely not a hardware limitation...

1 hour ago, dmurray14 said:

Ah, perfect...I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Still think it's absurd it works this way by default, it's definitely not a hardware limitation...

To add fuel to the fire.... it also has a 15 second limit to the announcement.  Even if the wav file is longer than that it will cut out at 15 seconds.

After using this and purchasing the driver... Am I asking too much for the doorbell presses to work every time the ring is pressed, (What exactly is the recovery of the doorbell from each ring and motion sense).   I see the motion push notifications every time but the doorbell push is infrequent.  Any have the same result?

Ive changed around my conditionals and logic, but would love to see what someone has in their programming..

My goal.... Doorbell ring... annoucement plays..

motion on the ring = lights on for 60 sec  after dark.. then back to 0

Any help, please and thanks

push notification 3.png

29 minutes ago, nawty said:

After using this and purchasing the driver... Am I asking too much for the doorbell presses to work every time the ring is pressed, (What exactly is the recovery of the doorbell from each ring and motion sense).   I see the motion push notifications every time but the doorbell push is infrequent.  Any have the same result?

Ive changed around my conditionals and logic, but would love to see what someone has in their programming..

My goal.... Doorbell ring... annoucement plays..

motion on the ring = lights on for 60 sec  after dark.. then back to 0

Any help, please and thanks

push notification 3.png

Please read page 43-44 for our installation guide which goes through troubleshooting.  It basically breaks down the communications flow so you can see where it failed.  To sum it up check to see if the IFTTT recipe has run, if the pushover notification was received by pushover and lastly if Control4 downloaded the notification.

http://www.chowmain.co.nz/s/Chowmain-IFTTT-Maker-Driver-Installation-Guide.pdf

So I was troubleshooting and I found this....

All motions come through on the Pushover event everytime.

The Doorbell doesn't come through......I shut off the motion on the ring and now I get every doorbell event every time..

Does the motion interfere with the push....  Can anyone replicate my programming and make the same thing happen?

Please and thx

Alan could you please post the logic/code in composer how one does this again? Both from within your Kodi driver, and also Sonos. Also is there a list or file source for appropriate wav or MP3 files? If so, where are they found and stored?

Thanks. W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

Alan could you please post the logic/code in composer how one does this again? Both from within your Kodi driver, and also Sonos. Also is there a list or file source for appropriate wav or MP3 files? If so, where are they found and stored?

Thanks. W.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our kodi full installation guide covers this.

the sonos driver documentation also covers how to do their announcement

Archived