C4 Forums | Control4

Fake rooms and devices?

fdastoor

As I peruse the forum I have seen a lot of referance to programming that refers to fake or dummy rooms and devices. Is this something that only a dealer can do? I do not think that HE allows addition of rooms or devices.

Maybe I can have my dealer add a bunch of these anyway and then as I think of ways to use them I can without bothering him all the time

Has anyone set up a simple phantom driver for room speakers? I have two 8 channel amps and a C4 switcher and have often thought it would be very convenient to see the room show up in the "Connected To" column for the WHA.

my "fake room" is for weather/traffic webcams and other stuff i dont want to show. I dont use it for any audio/video. However i did set up a fake denon rcv for zone 2 IR once and placed it in theis area. It worked ok... finally just decided to edit the driver to work right in the 1st place.

• 7 years later...
On 12/1/2008 at 8:30 PM, demcontrol4 said:

I always add a fake TV to an audio zone so that you can have the audio from a video source. Ex. you want to have the sound from a tv in an adjoining room that has audio but no tv.

Can't you do that by setting the video's audio endpoint in the audio only room?  Or is it really necessary to have the phantom tv?

I often use fake room as audio endpoint to script a "random music" button around the house keypads, this avoid scripting the random music programming to each room by playing the audio to the fake room and then join this room. Of course, this only work when the house mostly use one audio source for music, like Sonos.

• 3 weeks later...

i only use "fake" devices for uncontrollable devices. @alanchow  has a nice driver for this now. in any case these are just placeholders so the client can select them and the proper equipment is turned on.

I typically use fake rooms for storage for stuff to make it more organized, maybe a room for all cameras, all of the digital media clouds, equipment rooms.   This however is all for not as a user with HE can hide or show just about anything in a room if it is connected with a path.

Archived