C4 Forums | Control4

Best Thermostat and Doorbell

Jbbrenner90

Question

Hey everyone my control 4 system is being installed next week. I currently have the new ring doorbell pro unopened. Just wondering if that can be tied into control 4 and if not is it worth to buy a different one and if so what one? I also need to purchase a thermostat as I lost my current nest so what do you guys recommend for a thermostat that ties into control 4. I was looking at nest vs honeywell WIFI and why do you recommend one over the other.

16 answers to this question

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

Doorbird is the most all around functioning video doorbell.  Full integration into C4 systems, uses C4 native intercom agent, calls cell phone, simple setup.  What is there not to like?

As for the "broadcast limitation", what exactly is limited?  It rings all TS's in project and also cells phones natively.  When the call is answered, yes, it can only have a 1:1 call.  How many times do you need to have a "party" call with someone at your door?

It has been reported on here that Doorbird can only send out X amount of streams at once, so some people with several touch screens can only get the broadcast call to a limited amount of touchscreens

Maybe that has been addressed with updates and revisions.

13 hours ago, eddy.trochez said:

My previous post was about using the Control4 system and mobile devices as internal intercoms without a door station, (T3s and phones for example) This thread is about door stations. The DS2 and other intercoms use the SIP protocol to make calls to the system. Using SIP you can set the DS2 to call your T3s and/or your mobile devices whether or not they're in the home network. Also, using SIP, I can call my phone; with video; from my T3s when the phone is not home. The limitation to this is that the call can only be initiated by the T3. I still haven't figured out how to call the T3s from outside the network, other than VPN. One of the reasons why it's difficult; which is a good one; is that Control4 uses TLS; which is very secure; to accept SIP calls. TLS is not supported by most SIP services. To answer your question, I just found out about this recently, after my last post. 

Could you elaborate and post the required steps to get a call from the doorstation or a touch screen to a mobile device using Bria or another app?

1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

A few months ago you mentioned you set this up but it only works locally on your wifi.  What steps have you done with your SIP Implementation to allow to get calls when you are away from home on a mobile network?

My previous post was about using the Control4 system and mobile devices as internal intercoms without a door station, (T3s and phones for example) This thread is about door stations. The DS2 and other intercoms use the SIP protocol to make calls to the system. Using SIP you can set the DS2 to call your T3s and/or your mobile devices whether or not they're in the home network. Also, using SIP, I can call my phone; with video; from my T3s when the phone is not home. The limitation to this is that the call can only be initiated by the T3. I still haven't figured out how to call the T3s from outside the network, other than VPN. One of the reasons why it's difficult; which is a good one; is that Control4 uses TLS; which is very secure; to accept SIP calls. TLS is not supported by most SIP services. To answer your question, I just found out about this recently, after my last post. 

1 hour ago, eddy.trochez said:

A DS2 can be setup to call a phone off the network using Bria. (Heck, my T3s can call my cellphone when I'm not home using Bria). Not only a phone, but a group of people using a SIP server. What's more, if nobody answers, people can leave a voice mail, assuming your SIP service supports voicemail. I know you specified not being able to do it natively, but for those who have a DS2 and want to use Bria when not home, they can. If you want native support, look into the 2N Helios; which is basically a DS2 but with the option to subscribe to the new 2N mobile service. The app is very simple and easy to use. The service itself it's easy to setup and it works like a charm. Really fast connection to mobile devices, and the Helios has C4 integration. You can add the Bluetooth module to the 2N which It's supposed to unlock a door through proximity, but I'm not sure if its' been implemented yet. In my opinion, either the DS2 or 2N Helios (which are the same door station) are the best out there.

A few months ago you mentioned you set this up but it only works locally on your wifi.  What steps have you done with your SIP Implementation to allow to get calls when you are away from home on a mobile network?

A DS2 can be setup to call a phone off the network using Bria. (Heck, my T3s can call my cellphone when I'm not home using Bria). Not only a phone, but a group of people using a SIP server. What's more, if nobody answers, people can leave a voice mail, assuming your SIP service supports voicemail. I know you specified not being able to do it natively, but for those who have a DS2 and want to use Bria when not home, they can. If you want native support, look into the 2N Helios; which is basically a DS2 but with the option to subscribe to the new 2N mobile service. The app is very simple and easy to use. The service itself it's easy to setup and it works like a charm. Really fast connection to mobile devices, and the Helios has C4 integration. You can add the Bluetooth module to the 2N which It's supposed to unlock a door through proximity, but I'm not sure if its' been implemented yet. In my opinion, either the DS2 or 2N Helios (which are the same door station) are the best out there.

Can you get video through Bria remotely with the DS2?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Doorbird is the most all around functioning video doorbell.  Full integration into C4 systems, uses C4 native intercom agent, calls cell phone, simple setup.  What is there not to like?

As for the "broadcast limitation", what exactly is limited?  It rings all TS's in project and also cells phones natively.  When the call is answered, yes, it can only have a 1:1 call.  How many times do you need to have a "party" call with someone at your door?

I've used the nest thermostat in the past and was happy with it.  Currently using the newer C4 thermostat.  Its obviously does a great job but UI is a little plain, while the trim cover is actually sleek.  It includes another remote temp sensor for monitoring another room but you either track the temp in the room locally or the other room.  Not both.  The newest ecobee is being promoted a lot these days.  I like how several rooms (with extra sensors) can be monitored for temp.

You can't beat the DS2 for quality and reliably.  I've configured it to also call my cell phone (without an app) when I'm not home but that requires a sip account and proper setup.  You can use a softphone app for remote video feed of the call too.  All this works, but not right out of the box.

I have the Holovision Door station.  You can program against the press of the button on the interface.  If you are using the blue Iris driver for NVR recording you could program against motion I believe.  It will also send a broadcast to as many c4 touchscreens as you have - no limitation like doorbird.

Only thing Holo does not do (which I believe is a shortfall of DS2 natively as well) is the ability to answer a call on your mobile device when off your home network.  I have had my Holo for a while and I really like it.

abovedeck . . . is right on for the doorbell.  Don't forget that the Ring is the only 3rd party solution that has a driver that can integrate motion/button events.  The DS2 would be the most robust, but strictly local only. 

As for the thermostat, I would recommend the Aprilaire from Control4 (direct connect on the ZigBee network),

23 hours ago, Jbbrenner90 said:

Hey everyone my control 4 system is being installed next week. I currently have the new ring doorbell pro unopened. Just wondering if that can be tied into control 4 and if not is it worth to buy a different one and if so what one? I also need to purchase a thermostat as I lost my current nest so what do you guys recommend for a thermostat that ties into control 4. I was looking at nest vs honeywell WIFI and why do you recommend one over the other.

For doorbell video, audio and control integration, I think everyone here will say the C4 DS2 is your best bet.  It's a C4 product.  Ring and all of the non OEM products can be integrated in to your system, but you're not going to gain full control.  Each product is a little different (doorbird, etc).  So which will give you most control, all your options and remain consistent? DS2.

I know there is a Nest driver and I think it works with the web services, so not a direct connection to your controller.  But you can have full control via C4.  Again, if you want the best option, I'm going to say the C4 therm as it's a product of Control4 and ties directly to your controller.  I'm using a Zwave thermostat connected to a Vera and I don't have any issues though, I think a thermostat is a little more basic than the doorbell. 

Archived