C4 Forums | Control4

Looking for network assistance

eggzlot

Hello

My C4 dealer has been helpful but some of my networking needs are not covered in his complete range of skills (due to hardware, layouts, etc, it is not super typical).

I am looking for someone who can help me troubleshoot on the networking side of things.  I want to make sure I have my network aligned and tuned up properly.  I am currently running a Linksys router (which I am open to change), 2 Cisco switches (SG300 and SG220 but dumbed down) and Unifi APs.  I have some unique needs as I have Fios and need to remove their router from the equation but I still want access to the live tv guide, the remote viewing apps, etc.  

Anyone have experience with this mix of hardware and could provide a reasonable rate to troubleshoot and fix?

I am technical enough and can run enough wires that this can be done remotely but if you are near Northern NJ we could consider onsite work as well.

I've learned from the past so references on this type of work will be required :-)

57 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Honestly, I would just Fios for TV and have the system router set to a static IP and DMZ.

that is gibberish to me :-)  I am thinking of changing how I have it laid out, and doing what DSLReports calls option 2 which is basically:

Fios Router > my own router > C4 environment.  the fios cable boxes I'd plug directly into the Fios router/switch.  I think that is what you mean by set a static IP and do DMZ?

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Similar to #1, with secondary router as a DMZ address in the Verizon Router. User router must be configured for a different subnet than the Verizon Router. The WAN port on the user router must also be set to use either a static IP address on the Verizon Router subnet, or obtain its WAN address via DHCP. 

1. PRO: 

• Simple config change to create DMZ address for secondary (user) router. 

• Eliminates need to configure port forwarding in both routers. Port Forwards are configured in secondary (user) router only. 

• No cabling changes. 

• Can be used with either a coax or cat5 connection to the ONT. 

• All current STB functionality supported. Guide, VOD, widgets, Remote DVR, On Screen Caller ID.
    CON: 

• Secondary (user) router is double NAT'ed. 

• Still potentially subject to small NAT table in the Verizon Router.

Don't wworry too much on double NAT in that setup, and you would still connect the Fios boxes to the Fios router, bypassing the system network, retaining all guide info etc.

Stupidly, for some reason you cant just set one port to forward a public IP, an option available here for 'optic' TV by the local supplier, making this all a non issue anyway...

5 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Don't wworry too much on double NAT in that setup, and you would still connect the Fios boxes to the Fios router, bypassing the system network, retaining all guide info etc.

Stupidly, for some reason you cant just set one port to forward a public IP, an option available here for 'optic' TV by the local supplier, making this all a non issue anyway...

thanks

I am just trying to find some step by step instructions online somewhere - I thought DSLReports had detailed instructions on all 10 options, but I am only seeing additional information on a handful.  Need to keep searching.

There are routers out there that can go direct from the ONT and then the fios router is behind your router. I know Pakedge and Araknis can do this. We do it every fios Install with Araknis. So it goes ONT->araknis->switch->fios router and all other network gear.

On the Araknis router, you need to enable the IPTV setting in firewall.

Archived