C4 Forums | Control4

Touch Switch Wall Controllers for C4 (similar to Basalte/Loxone)

WhyPhy

I demoed the Basalte Sentido touch switch controllers at CEDIA and was very impressed with the simplicity of operation and flexibility of control. They look nice as well. These are unfortunately only compatible with Crestron and not with Control4 (I specifically asked.) Does anyone know of a similar solution for C4?

Basalte Sentido Touch Switch: 

Loxone has a similar switch:

Hmm looks like a great demo piece, but I'd be curious how well it would work once you have 20 or 40 of them in a house, as you'd have to remember what each and every one of the possible touches or gestures actually does on each and every button? Love how they say they want to 'keep it simple' but unless you do each one exactly the same in every room, with no way of engraving them I don't see how it's any 'easier' than a normal keypad, quite the opposite? Very nice design though.

At any rate, I do not believe any are available. That said, it would appear it's actually based on KNX, and has little to do with Crestron as such - KNX HAS integration available into Control4 - so it may be possible to do that way. Mind you it looks these have been around for several years already - so if it hasn't happened yet... Could also have to do with the fact that it's all based on european sizing which, in the end, is a smaller market to begin with.

The loxone one is really just a 5 button keypad, that's just touch sensitive vs pushing a physical button - meh.

Neither have gestures from what I recall. For both Basalte and Loxone, the main button is the center area (when touching more than 1 surface), and there are 4 individual buttons at the corners. There can be different commands for each button based on single/double/triple tap, and tap-and-hold.

For the demo I saw, tapping the main "center" of the keypad switched between lighting scenes. Double-tapping turned the lights off. Triple-tapping turned off the house and armed the security. The left 2 buttons controlled shades, and the right 2 buttons controlled audio (single-tap volume up/down, press-and-hold to change audio source.)

Functionality wasn't obvious at first, but it became very intuitive after the first use. No need to read labels to figure out how to control a room.

57 minutes ago, WhyPhy said:

No need to read labels to figure out how to control a room.

That's the point though, a single room is easy, but once it becomes device after device - are you going to have all do the same thing in each room?

But hey if they are engraved they'd just be another option, and a nicely designed one. Except that they aren't an option, because they can't be integrated :mellow:

I reached out to Basalte to see if a Control4 integration was planned or if they offered any type of API documentation for driver development. Here's the response:

"We support the integration of our keypads with Crestron (native integration) and with Lutron HomeWorks QS (RS485 integration, using Serial.link interface module). We do not support the integration with Control 4. An RS485 integration with Control 4 is currently not on our R&D planning, and we also don’t offer an API for the integration."

Too bad. It's puzzling that they won't even share API documentation to test the market and let someone do the initial development work.

(Also, I updated the Basalte video in the original post to show the optional engraving.)

On 12/24/2017 at 10:05 PM, WhyPhy said:

I think I'm following you...Basalte Serial.link -> Homeworks QS HQP6 Controller -> Control4 controller

Yep. I do not know nearly enough on the QS integration to know if it would work, or could be made to wirk relatively easily but if it integrated with QS, and QS integrates with C4.....

Hi 

I have in fact integrated basaltes knx switch plates with control4, it can be done with either control4’s own knx integration suite or the tisco integration suite. Obviously this is not native like what they offer with crestron or lutron, however the end result is the same. Any questions i will try to help. 

Best 

carl

On 12/26/2017 at 6:17 PM, carl01 said:

I have in fact integrated basaltes knx switch plates with control4, it can be done with either control4’s own knx integration suite or the tisco integration suite. Obviously this is not native like what they offer with crestron or lutron, however the end result is the same. Any questions i will try to help. 

Thanks Carl - this is great info and I'm glad to know KNX integration works. I'm in the US, so not that familiar with KNX and will need to learn.

A quick question about the Basalte KNX integration: can different types of presses be detected for each of the 4 individual buttons? (i.e. single tap vs. double tap vs. long press/hold?)

Thanks again!

No Problems, yes from the top of my head this is possible as the amount of presses detected is done at driver level as opposed to the hardware capability, someone please correct me if i am wrong, some psuedo programming may need to be done in ETS and the original button function may need to be instigated in composer. When i get a chance i will check this out in some of my older projects, i know i have certainly done this with other brands of KNX keypads. 

Best 

carl

• 3 months later...
On 12/27/2017 at 12:17 PM, carl01 said:

Hi 

Best 

carl

Hi Carl

Our Dealer has a project where the client insists on the Basalte switches but wants Control4 to control lighting.  Did you just use the KNX Keypad driver to integrate?  What else was required?

Cheers

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi...I would now be able to utilize Harmony and insteon as far off and lighting control now. This would be less expensive to actualize and I would not be depending on another seller who could conceivably be there.

Anybody have any contemplations or information on if this functions admirably. Vendor base versus DYI isn't an issue the seller is there when I need them.

pcba manufacturer with iso 13485 certificate

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.